• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce Transit

EdLeavitt

imported post

I am just curious about something that I noticed a number of years ago. I don't ride public transit, but chose to do so once after dropping my car off at the dealer for service. As I was boarding the bus I noticed a decal in the front window that said something on the order of "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED". At the time I assumed that any attempt Pierce Transit was making to discourage possession would fall under the RCW 9.41.300 stadium / convention center CPL exception. I ignored the decal, but it bothered me as a "cling to my Bible & guns" kinda guy.

Do mass transit vehicles in the region routinely display such signs, and has anybody looked into what they hope to prevent?

Ed in Lakewood

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

That has got to be an old sign. Pierce transit does not ban firearms anymore. Lonnie took care of that. They now post the text of RCW 9.91.025 which specifically allows lawfully carried firearms and ammo on transit.

That said, there are still a couple of agencies that are still stupid about guns. A Sound Transit supervisor gave some guys grief over OC, but eventually was overruled. InterCity Transit (Thurston County) still has illegal no weapons rules, but has privately acknowledged to me the legality of carry on the bus, but has failed to train all their operators about it. Mason Transit (Mason County) simply refuses to allow guns on their buses.

I'm working on IT and MT.

You should have no problems on PT. I OC on PT buses operating as Sound Transit all the time. I OC on King County Metro and Community Transit (Snohomish County) and CC at home on IT.

The law is on yourside with this.

EdLeavitt

imported post

Thanks. As I say, it was rather a long time ago. But I'm glad to see the effort to educate folks. Until this most recent matter came up in Seattle I was unaware of the OC effort here in WA. I had heard that OC was on the rise in Utah, but didn't know it was on the increase here on the left coast.