• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond, VA Police SGT says normally open carriers are no trouble!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Emphasizes the idea that police are more concerned with unlawful concealed carry. http://tinyurl.com/6dvg5d

SGT says somthing weird about loaded long guns not allowed in the city - not sure what that is about - never heard of it. He was asked about off limits areas and said he was not too sure of all the restrictions - he opinied incorrectly that parks were off limits.

But SGT also said open carry is getting more common in Richmond.

Thundar

imported post

Mike wrote:
SGT says somthing weird about loaded long guns not allowed in the city - not sure what that is about - never heard of it. He was asked about off limits areas and said he was not too sure of all the restrictions - he opinied incorrectly that parks were off limits.
I think the officer was referring to the loaded rifle and shotgun law in vehicles that the state permits localities to enact.

Here is the Richmond code:

Sec. 66-353. Transporting loaded shotgun or rifle.

(a)It shall be unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or a loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway. Violations of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100.00.

(b)This section shall not apply to duly authorized law enforcement officers or to military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties nor to any person demonstrating a reasonable belief that such rifle or shotgun is necessary to ensure personal safety in the course of employment or business.

(Code 1993, § 20-160)

State law references: Similar provisions, Code of Virginia, § 18.2-287.1.
Link: http://www.municode.com/RESOURCES/gateway.asp?pid=13859&sid=46

In my book a bus is a vehicle, so carrying the Mossberg Tactical loaded while riding the GRTA bus would be illegal in the city of Richmond

soloban

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Mike wrote:
I think the officer was referring to the loaded rifle and shotgun law in vehicles that the state permits localities to enact.

Here is the Richmond code:

Sec. 66-353. Transporting loaded shotgun or rifle.

(a)It shall be unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or a loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway. Violations of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100.00.

(b)This section shall not apply to duly authorized law enforcement officers or to military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties nor to any person demonstrating a reasonable belief that such rifle or shotgun is necessary to ensure personal safety in the course of employment or business.

(Code 1993, § 20-160)

State law references: Similar provisions, Code of Virginia, § 18.2-287.1.
Link: http://www.municode.com/RESOURCES/gateway.asp?pid=13859&sid=46

In my book a bus is a vehicle, so carrying the Mossberg Tactical loaded while riding the GRTA bus would be illegal in the city of Richmond

I'm sure that particular ordinance is null and void due to state premeption...however:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I rarely post about my open carry experiences anymore, as I open carry nearly everyday, everywhere.

A little more than a week ago I was eating lunch on a weekday in Carytown in the city of Richmond. I often eat at CanCan, a nicefrench restuarant, and I usually open carry there. The square the restuarant is located in has its own security guard - an off-duty Richmond police officer in uniform. He walks around the square, seemingly with special attention to the upscale jewlely store.

I turned a corner to walk to my car and he was turning the corner at the same time. There was a very brief awkward second of recognition, then he saluted me (!) and said "open carry, yes" and smiled. It was a great (and somewhat surreal) experience.

Sheriff

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
...the restuarant is located in has its own security guard - an off-duty Richmond police officer in uniform.... I turned a corner to walk to my car and he was turning the corner at the same time. There was a very brief awkward second of recognition, then he saluted me (!) and said "open carry, yes" and smiled. It was a great (and somewhat surreal) experience.
That's what I commonly call a "police officer that actually knows the law". :shock:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
...the restuarant is located in has its own security guard - an off-duty Richmond police officer in uniform.... I turned a corner to walk to my car and he was turning the corner at the same time. There was a very brief awkward second of recognition, then he saluted me (!) and said "open carry, yes" and smiled. It was a great (and somewhat surreal) experience.
That's what I commonly call a "police officer that actually knows the law". :shock:
yeah, a new breed of unicorn...