• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jackson County Sheriff and a Non Resident CHL?

coyote 30

imported post

I currently live in Washington and I possess a CHL from Oregon that I got from Multnomah county. In fact I am in my 8th year with a CHL from Multnomah county so I have renewed it once.

I am originally from Medford and will be visiting Medford OR. in July. My Oregon CHL will be close to expiring and I would like to renew it in Medford while I am there as it would be more convenient than Multnomah county. I e mailed the Jackson County Sheriff and asked if they gave Non residents CHL's and they told me that they have a strict standard for giving out non resident CHL and you had to have a good reason. They didn't know if their standards were higher than Multnomah county for giving out a CHL but from the tone of the e mail it didn't sound like they would give a non resident CHL.

I guess my question is has anyone here recieved a non resident CHL from Jackson County, OR. and if so what was the reasons you gave them for obtaining one?

I would have thought that it would be much harder to get a non resident CHL from liberal, Multnomah county than Jackson County but maybe the California influence has polluted and ruined the town I grew up in, Medford.

Orygunner

imported post

I would suggest contacting Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters directly.Note that Sheriff Winters is involved with some interesting business in Medford dealing with CHLs. The Medford Mail-Tribune is trying to get him to release the names of all CHL holders in the county (In relation to the lawsuit by teacher Shirley Katz against the school district to allow her to carry concealed). So he SEEMS to be willing to protect the rights of CHL holders, but it's hard to tell how that would affect his allowing out-of-state applicants with a renewal.

I'd review the information on what's going on at:
http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/06.06.08alert.html

If you contact him, I'd tell him you support him in his fight against the Mail-Tribune (which I hope you do!), and explain your situation. You just want a renewal of a permit you've had for 8 years already, you travel to Oregon frequently, and it'd just be easier to do it there than at the original county of issue. I'd think you should be able to get some feel for what they'll do for you then.

Sheriff Winters direct Email address is at the bottom of the article linked above. I already Emailed him praise on his fighting for the rights of CHL holders.

...Orygunner...

coyote 30

imported post

Yes Orygunner , I do support Sheriff Winters and his fight with the Mail Tribune. I have been following that case via the internet both on the Mail Tribunes site and at OFF 's site as I get e mail alerts from OFF.

It was one of Sheriff Winters underlings that e mailed me back, a Sgt. Grantham, so maybeI will call Sheriff Winters directly when I get down there to Medford or go see him face to face and see what he says. I will go back and renew at Multnomah county if I have to but it sure would be easier in Medford.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You could also try Klamath County. Tim Evinger's office has been really good about handing out non-resident CHL's. Also, Washington County is pretty good.

coyote 30

imported post

Well, I went into the Jackson County Sheriff to try and renew my non resident CHL. As noted above I currently have a non residentCHL from Multnomah county but I was in Medford July 7-13 and was wanting to renew there as it would have been much more convenient and saved gas.

I am not impressed with the Jackson County Sheriff as they would not take my application. They did take my letter for my reasons for wanting a CHL and said they would call or write me as to whether or not they would issue me a CHL. I have not heard a word from them and have given up on ever hearing back from them.

When I went in I talked to the receptionist and her reaction and body language was as if I was a felon asking for a favor. She acted nervous and went back to a deputy who was there in the office to ask what to do. They had the thick bullet proof glass therein the reception areabut I could hear the deputy say to her why doesn't he just do it in Multnomah county, or as I took it, we don't want to deal with you or want your money here in Jackson County.

I am not convinced the Jackson County Sheriff is friendly to CHL holders. Grant it they are a MAY issue to non residents and not a SHALL issue like for a resident but to blow off someone who has had one for 8 years as a non resident doesn't tell me they are pro 2nd amendment. If I am wrong about Sheriff Winters and his stance on guns, I am sorry, but if I am not remember this the next time he wants to be elected.

I know Sheriff Winters has been fighting the Mail Tribune newspaper in Medford to not release the names of CHL holders but I am not so sure that is just a front to gain votes and look like he is pro gun when he is not.

I will be renewing in Multnomah county next week as they sent me a renewal notice informing me that my permit was about to expire and what I need to bring to complete my renewal. I guess they want my money and I will be glad to give it to them.

Cougfan2

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Funny. We call Portland and Multnomah Co. "Moscow on the Willamette"! Ironic they would be hunky dory with renewing an out of state permit when a former logging town Sheriff's dept. is acting like Mao, but in Multnomah Co. I guess it makes sense. They never met a fee they didn't like. Just ask any Portland entrepeneuer trying to open a business in the city!

coyote 30

imported post

Well as a follow up to my story to try and get a non resident CHL from Jackson county Oregon I did finally get a letter from the Jackson county sheriff and here it is:

Dear Mr. ..........

I am writing in response to your inquiry regarding a non resident concealed handgun license. Oregon revised statutes(section 166.291) includes a residency requirement for the issuance of CHL's. This requirement can be waived (section 166.291(8)) by the county sheriff, "for the resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need." Unfortunately, travel within Oregon for family reasons as you describe does not satisfy the standard set by the Jackson county sheriff's office as a "compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need." I would say that there are differences between counties, and you may find that other counties in Oregon have more, or less, strigent standards.

I would like to forward the following regarding section 166.250, Unlawful possession of firearms. In part, this section prohibits a person who "possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle, but does not prohibit a person from, "possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence..." "Residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used as residential quarters. Additionally, 166.250(3) reads, "firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section."

In view of the above, while traveling in Oregon, it would not be a violation of law for you to: carry a handgun openly in a belt holster, keep a handgun in plain view within your vehicle, keep a handgun concealed within your vehicle as long as it was not readily accessible to you, or to possess a concealed handgun within an RV, while it is being used as quarters.

I hope this information will be of help to you. If there is additional information regarding your particular situation and you would like to discuss this matter futher, please feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached during normal business hours at 541-774-6834.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Bob Grantham

While I understand that Oregon is a mayissue stateto non residents, I think this is a croc and that the Jackson county sheriff is not a friend to gun owners. What are you supposed to do about open carrying in cities that require a concealed handgun permit, like Portland? I have since went back to Multnomah county and renewed my CHL with them. I used the exact same letter I gave to Jackson county for my reasons and I was in and out of the CHL unit office at Multnomah county in literally 3 minutes and in that 3 minutes I had my picture taken for the new permit and paid the fee, and recieved my temporary permitwith my pemanant one due in the mail within a month. I guess I am glad I don't live in Medford anymore but you can bet when I go back to visit family I am going to open carry everywhere, all the time.

For you folks in Jackson county, please vote these idiots out of office the next time the sheriff comes up for re-election.

By the way he left out my business reason for wanting a CHL in this letter. I go to the large sportsman shows in Oregon to run a booth and regularly carry large amounts of cash and merchandise and would like to carry to and from the shows concealed as it is late at night sometimes, but he left that out. I feel for you southern Oregonians.:banghead:

44 carbine

imported post

Coyote, I believe in Oregon you re-new yourcarry license in the county of issue.

That is exactly what is required of residents. Probably why Mult. Co. sent the notice of pending expiration.

44 carbine

imported post

So go to Mult. Co. and get the re-newal and go to Jackson Co. and have no worries mate:celebrate

DenWin

imported post

My CHL is from Multnomah county and I have never had anything but great service from them. I've renewed a couple of times and change of address a few times, and they never show any discomfort about CHL holders. I think they realize the people paying for the license really are law abiding citizens. Sounds to me like Jackson county was a little worried some one wanted to renew it AND didn't want to deal with the hassle of it.

coyote 30

imported post

I did renew at Multnomah county and it was very easy. They gave me great service and I had my permanent CHL card in the mail in 2 weeks.

If you Washington residents want a Oregon CHL I would recommend going to Multnomah county to get it. This is my second renewal there so I will have a CHL from them for 12 years when this one runs out. The multnomah county CHL office is at 122nd and Glisan in Portland, just right off I-205 at the Glisan exit and head east to 122nd and it is on the corner.

Jackson county must be run by morons who really don't care about your rights and I will guarantee they won't be able to protect you.

jalford

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Did you get your original Non-Resident permit at the same location in Multnomah County? I am getting ready to apply for a Non-Resident permit and would like to get my application in by the end of the year. Do you think the location you mention would be a good location for me to use?

Thanks,

jalford:)

coyote 30

imported post

Yes, this is where I went to recieve my original CHL from Multnomah county about 9 years ago and this is where I have renewed the last 2 renewals, all non resident CHL's.

As far as I know this is the only office where you can get a Multnomah CHL but I could be wrong. For you Vancouver residents this is about the most convenient place to get an Oregon CHL.

I just moved about 2 weeks ago and sent Multnomah county my address change and had my new CHL card in about a week. I have had very good service from Multnomah county from day one about 9 years ago in getting and renewing my Oregon CHL.