• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a pistol pointed at me today . . .

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

So I went to Cabela's this afternoon, thinking it was time for a new toy. I had been looking at Kahr pistols for those times when deep concealment is the only option. I was carrying my Officer's .45 as I normally do away from work.

I went with the PM40 -- such a nice little package for a hideaway. Anyway, as I'm standing at the cashier, a young guy about eight feet to my right asks to see a Ruger. The counter guy pulls it out, checks that it is clear, and then slams the slide home before handing it to the customer.

Thecustomer grabs the pistol and sweeps the muzzle past the counter guy's abdomen. :what:I flinch a bit, and am now moving toward condition orange. The guy starts playing with the pistol a bit, not really being careful where the muzzle is pointed -- I notice that it is pointed directly at the cashier. Everybody else seems oblivious to this fact.

Next, the customer actually looks down the muzzle and nobody says anything to him!:what: Then he sweeps it across me -- not once, but twice.:cuss::cuss::cuss: Now I am definitely condition orange! The second time, the counter guy notices me moving backward from the line of fire, and I tell him, "I don't appreciate being swept by a muzzle, whether I know the gun is loaded or not." He tells the customer that he is making me nervous, and take the gun from him. As the guy leaves, he apologizes, but it doesn't seem to really affect him much.

Maybe this is why some states require a safety course for a CPL?

The cashier told me, "It's a good thing you're not my friend. He would have drawn on the guy." Not me, but I'd like to give him just a little shot of pepper spray -- just to get his attention!

Sorry for the rant. . . anyway, yeah, I've got a new toy.:celebrate

CC27

imported post

I kinda see your point but honestly I think your being a little sensitive. As for him looking in the muzzle, he was probably checking the rifling.

David.Car

imported post

I went to look at some guns just for fun the other day, asked to see one. The guy than asked what I was doing as I took the slide off. Told himI wanted to look through the barrel without holding a workinggun to my eye.

Nosrac

imported post

They do seem to be pretty relaxed with the guns at Cabelas. I've notice similar events almost every time I'm there. The one counter guy knows everything there is about every gun so in case you ever have a question just ask him. He knows all. :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would have been definitely uncomfortable, but having seen the clerk just check it and hand it to him, and being that they aren't keeping loaded firearms for sale, I don't think I would have flared into condition orange over it, but rather have simmered in a pissed off condition yellow.

At least the clerk was paying enough attention to take the pistol away although it should have been corrected earlier. I'm always torn with that safety class issue. I know I learned a whole bunch in my CCW class even having grown up around guns and taking boyscout gun safety. I would love to see every gun owner in America voluntarily take a 8 or more hour intensive safety and shooting/carry laws class but that ain't gonna happen. I certainly understand the position of those who push for such classes being a requirement and it is only my firm belief in the letter and spirit of the Constitution that keeps me from jumping on that bandwagon.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

The counter guy said he has gotten used to being swept by muzzles -- I don't think I ever would get used to that!

Per my training, the first safety rule broken was handing over a firearm with the action closed. Then, of course, the rule that you never point at anything you don't intend to shoot. And . .. what's that one about treat every gun as if it's loaded?

Over sensitive? If I hadn't been waiting for my gun, I might have made a bit of a scene about it. Of course, I've been carrying daily for 20+ years without an AD, so I feel my standards are sufficiently safe. Oh, and that's with a 1911 cocked and locked.

If you don't know how to safely handle firearms, I don't want you at the range when I'm there. Glad I have my own range.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I've worked at two different gunshops, one of which had a range with it, and (Agent47 will agree with me) that I can't accuratelydetermine how many times I've been swept by a muzzle. Dozens and dozens. I remember one guy pulling his 1911 out of his range bag, after coming in from the range, asking me about sight options or something like that, all the while with his gun pointed at my abdomen. I grabbed the gun, telling him that the action needs to be opened while handling guns at the counter, and as I jacked the slide back, a 230-gr FMJ flew out of the ejection port and hit the glass counter in front of me. Needless to say, I was pissed. And no offense meant at all, but many of the worst gunhandlers I've been around as far as muzzle control, have been "trained" military and/or law enforcement. Its sad.