• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BP clerk

Agarl44

imported post

Today when I got off from work as an armed security officer also I have a carry permitI went to th BP gas station on John B. Dennis to get fuel and a pepsi as I have done many times before. The clerk asked me the next time to leave my firearm in the vehicle to make conversation I asked as to why he said the store was a closed container store and I said do what he said the store sells acholic beverages if I remember correctly you can not carry in places that sell acholic beverages for on site consumption and I told him this he said that is the way it is in Ohio. I also said I did not see any TCA posting at the entrance and he said there is not one. I know that management reserves the right to ban firearms but he was not management

steamnsteel

imported post

I stop in stores all over Kingsport including the one you mentioned, I have never had any problem. By the way I wouldn't mention that they needed a sign on the door.

Fallguy

imported post

Yep...if the post a proper sign and you carry past it, you have violated the law at that moment.

If the simplyhave a no carry policy, but no sign posted and you carry in there, they can ask you to leave and as long as you leave you have broke no law.

steamnsteel

imported post

X2 on the sign comments. Also those circle gun slash signs are invalid in TN.

crotalus01

imported post

Not according to my class. The sign has to be worded according to my instructor, and he says the law specifically disallows the red slash sign as the only notice.

Also if there is no sign, and the manager/employee asks you to leave because you are armed, if you come back armed it is still a criminal trespass charge....

Again I ask why not mention the sign?

mkl

imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
Also if there is no sign, and the manager/employee asks you to leave because you are armed, if you come back armed it is still a criminal trespass charge....

I think the logic goes that a sign will ruin it for everyone. If a manager asks YOU to leave, YOU can't come back, but a sign makes everyone carrying stay out.

I guess the good part is , the store puts up a sign and others will know they are anti-gun. Who wants to give their money to a store that doesn't want you there...

Fallguy

imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
Not according to my class. The sign has to be worded according to my instructor, and he says the law specifically disallows the red slash sign as the only notice.

I think he meant to say the red slash alone was "invalid" or not legal. ...and y'all are correct. However the circle and slash can be used with a properly worded sign. Which does not have to be "exactly" worded like the law, but just "substantially similar" See mkl pretty much answered about the sign thing. I admit at one time I thought I wanted places to post signs if that was they way the felt. Put there anti feelings out there for all to see, but now I don't think it is such a great idea. What I would rather see is the signs not carry the weight of law or even better places open to the public not able to post.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
crotalus01 wrote:

I think he meant to say the red slash alone was "invalid" or not legal. ...and y'all are correct. However the circle and slash can be used with a properly worded sign. Which does not have to be "exactly" worded like the law, but just "substantially similar" See mkl pretty much answered about the sign thing. I admit at one time I thought I wanted places to post signs if that was they way the felt. Put there anti feelings out there for all to see, but now I don't think it is such a great idea. What I would rather see is the signs not carry the weight of law or even better places open to the public not able to post.

Another way of looking at it, is that if the storeowner does post proper signage at the door, they are marking their store as a gunfree zone.

Gunfree zone = easy pickens for armed criminals.

We all know how extremely well the criminals and mentally derranged respect the law, right? ;)