• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL Testing

blackshadow2805

imported post

I was wondering who all lives in Southern Oregon and has a CHL. I am looking at getting mine, and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a quick study for the test, I am also talking my gf into getting one as well as she has a job that has some hazards to it. But if possible I would like to get to know some more people that have them in this area.

No NAU

imported post

There is no "test". You have to take a class, but they don't test you. The one I took (Deschutes County) was informative as it covered a lot of Oregon specific law regarding legitimate self-defense with lethal force but I do not believe there is a statewide standard.

Call you local Sheriff and they will have all the info you need.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As NoNAU stated, there is no 'test'. You just need to take a qualified course.

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

ORS 166.291

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html