• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal vs "Socially Acceptable"

Walleye

imported post

Great responses guys, it really helps.

Eeyore, you really hit the nail on the head. That's why I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I 'light the fuse'. Part of the issue is KS legislature is such a damn mess. :cuss:

I really do want to show respect and educate, even if I'd be more comfortable if people would simply not notice. I've only openly carried outside of Manhattan city limits and while in my vehicle. I can find no local legislature that prohibits openly carrying without a permit while in a vehicle; trying to locate legislature for that at the state level is difficult, thus far I've been unable to find a statue that prohibits as such for the entire state. I want to get a CCW just to have that peace of mind due to the above.

In terms of my mother, I think she's starting to come around. I haven't pressed the issue except where it invites response and she told me this evening that she should probably start carrying a weapon with her as well. This was of course after she realized that there's a lot of valuable items on our property which could easily attract attention - to which I replied "Why do you think I carry?".

I'm not trying to be paranoid or to spread it ;) but when you work with animals that can kill you quite easily and spook for no reason at all, you tend to learn to be on your guard at all times. That's part of why I didn't understand her dismay at first, given that she's worked with horses for almost all her life.