• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alexandria Waterfront Frestival

Xeni

imported post

I saw a commercal for this event this morning and am finishing up my work day and decided to hit the website to see how much tickets would cost. Then I saw this posted.

No carrying or possession of weapons or firearms

Can an event sponsor restrict me from buying a ticket and attending even if the event is on public land?

The website URL is http://www.waterfrontfestival.org/info.html

Anyone have any information or knowledge about this event and if carry really is restricted?

It would've been great to go see the concert but I won't go if I can't OC since the heat will probably be too much to comfortably CC even if I wanted to.

-X

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's a city owned park, I think pre-emption should prevent them from banning weapons...

From: http://www.alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12290#oronocobay

Oronoco Bay Park Park Location: 100 Madison St.
Park Area: 4.50 acres
Park Usage: Festivals, picnicking, sitting areas, trails for walking, biking, jogging and exercise.
This City park is located on the Potomac River at 701 North Lee Street, entered at either the Madison or Pendleton Streets entries or at the Wythe Street Plaza. The plaza entry is approximately in the center of the park and there is also a sidewalk entry with trees and turf area between the Sheet Metal Workers of America building and the United Way building.

The park was once known as “Texaco Bay” and before that it was owned by Standard Oil Company which was owned by John D. Rockefeller. However, the City acquired the property in the early 1980's and developed the park into its present design. The name was changed to Oronoco Bay Park. Historically, the Alexandria area was inhabited by Indians when Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac in the mid 17th Century.

The park today is famous for the annual “Red Cross Waterfront Festival” which is the largest Red Cross fund raiser in the United States. The park also has many other festivals and is often rented to out to private concerns for their events as well. Each park entry is noted for its shrub and flower bed display, area lighting and irrigation system. You will find trees throughout the park providing a passive park atmosphere.

This park is part of the linear park system along the Potomac. People can walk, jog or bike along the river path and enjoy the many sitting and picnic areas. There are wooden sun decks out into the river and a wooden boardwalk path that connects the path to the point where the bay and river meet near the Rowing Facility building.
Oronoco Bay Park Rental Information
Amenities: amphitheater, parking, picnic areas, power supply, seating, trails, waterfronts.

Park Rentals[*]If multi-use field is desired, renter must obtain a Field Permit.[/list] Hours of Operation (April to October):
  • Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
  • Saturday - Sunday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Hours of Operation (November to March):
  • Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I just sent the mayor and council an e-mail telling them that banning citizens from carrying firearms legally is a violation of the law and can result in legal action.

Ed

Thank you for contacting the City of Alexandria.
Your message has been forwarded to the appropriate City staff, who will reply to you within three business days. If you do not receive a response within this timeframe, please contact Director of Citizen Assistance Rose Williams Boyd at rose.boyd@alexandriava.gov or call the Citizen Assistance Office at 703-838-4800.

A copy of the message you submitted appears below.
Time: [Fri Jun 13, 2008 16:57:00]IP Address: [72.165.83.66]
Issue Type:
Mayor, Vice Mayor, and Council Members
First Name:
ed
Subject:
Alexandria waterfront festival
Comments:
http://www.waterfrontfestival.org/info.html

Banning citizens in the
state of Virginia from legally carrying firearms on public grounds is a
violation of the law and legal action can be taken.
Just FYI.
Thanks.

Attachment:
rules.jpg

Sheriff

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
It's a city owned park, I think pre-emption should prevent them from banning weapons...
If the Red Cross has rented the park for the entire weekend, pre-emption may not apply.

mkl

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
If the Red Cross has rented the park for the entire weekend, pre-emption may not apply.

I don't know much about pre-emption exceptions, why might it not apply?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
If that were true, pre-emption sould be completely meaningless, as a locality that didn't want to comply could just lease the whole community to a private management company. Regardless of who it's rented to, it's still a city park...

Sheriff

imported post

I just don't know. I am taking a guess at why the Red Cross feels comfortable in banning weapons.

At the same time, out of curiosity,I have just discovered firearms are banned in all our local county parks according to their web page.

Q:
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"]Is hunting allowed at Albemarle County parks?[/font]

A:
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"]Hunting is strictly prohibited at all County parks. No firearms or weapons of any type are allowed.[/font]

doug23838

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
If that were true, pre-emption sould be completely meaningless, as a locality that didn't want to comply could just lease the whole community to a private management company. Regardless of who it's rented to, it's still a city park...

IANAL, however I agree with roscoe. Right and title to the park cannot be conveyed to a leasee in such a way that they could conduct an event inconsistent with the law.

For example the City could not lease a park to an organization that would hold an event for whites only. Imagine the uproar. So, I don't see how they could lease the park and then establish their own rules.

This is precisely the same beef I have with the City of Richmond and the organization that holds events in some Richmond parks.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I"ll be at the OCDO dinner on Saturday, and probably the Dale City Gun Show on Sunday.

But I found this announcement for July 12th. Anybody down for this?

At 7:30 pm, the ever-gun-friendly Mayor Euille will be speaking </sarcasm>

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I just don't know. I am taking a guess at why the Red Cross feels comfortable in banning weapons.

At the same time, out of curiosity,I have just discovered firearms are banned in all our local county parks according to their web page.

Q:
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"]Is hunting allowed at Albemarle County parks?[/font]

A:
[font="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"]Hunting is strictly prohibited at all County parks. No firearms or weapons of any type are allowed.[/font]
That regulation is illegal and un-enforceable...

Tomahawk

imported post

I rode my bike past this festival site this afternoon; they have blocked off several sections of public street and park and have a fence around it to keep people out. It doesn't look like any private land to me. It includes the railroad spur that runs past the powerplant down to the warehouse at the end of Union St., for those familiar with the area.

Given Alexandria government's anti-gun history, they just might be trying to see if they can get away with this, and might try to ignore your letters and call your bluff. We'll see how that works out.

Speaking of Old Towne, I spotted a real live unicorn walking down Union St. about two weeks ago on a Saturday. Guy in about his 20's, neatly trimmed goatee and sunglasses with his girlfriend. Which one of you was it? Fess up!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:

Q:

A:

Well, there ya go, Sheriff. Back into law enforcement.

Go get 'em. Make them take down that offending web-page info. Your reference is VA Code 15.2-915.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization...

Sheriff

imported post

Citizen, I plan to call them Monday. I suspect they are going to tell me I am innterpreting their Q&A wrong. They might claim that no weapons or firearms are allowed "while hunting." But it clearly makes one believe that no firearms or weapons are allowed at all... period.

Let you know how the call goes.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Citizen, I plan to call them Monday. I suspect they are going to tell me I am innterpreting their Q&A wrong. They might claim that no weapons or firearms are allowed "while hunting." But it clearly makes one believe that no firearms or weapons are allowed at all... period.

Let you know how the call goes.

What the hell?? You're supposed to catch the damn deer or bear with your bare hands? Awfully athletic bunch they've got around there. :)

"My pinky finger is .308 and deadly at close range!!" :)

Have fun. Keep us up to date with progress reports and report the outcome to Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:

Didn't Mike Stollenwerk win a lawsuit against the City of Richmond on a similar point? Or was that maybe just a FOIA enforcement?

W.E.G.

imported post

Haven't we had this debate here recently?

What authority does any property-holder have to lease any right greater than that which the property-holder possesses?

Suppose the lessee decided to prohibit persons who don't speak English from attending?

Moreover, the statute cited above specifically forbids the city from enacting any rule regarding carrying firearms.

This is exactly why we call such places PUBLIC parks.
Persons who are not violating any enforceable law cannot be excluded from the park.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Haven't we had this debate here recently?

What authority does any property-holder have to lease any right greater than that which the property-holder possesses?

Suppose the lessee decided to prohibit persons who don't speak English from attending?

Moreover, the statute cited above specifically forbids the city from enacting any rule regarding carrying firearms.

This is exactly why we call such places PUBLIC parks.
Persons who are not violating any enforceable law cannot be excluded from the park.
Not exactly true. He might prevail in court, but he may get there anyway, by way of the jail. See the Chet Szymecki story.

Remember, you may not be convicted, but you can almost always be charged, and the experience may not be pleasant.

ed

imported post

In a message dated 6/14/2008 6:38:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, FlyboyEd writes:

Thanks. They have been contacted as well. The city was contacted because of it being held on public land. The red cross does not own the land so ultimately, the responsibility belongs to the city.

In a message dated 6/13/2008 11:01:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Justin.Wilson@alexandriava.gov writes:
Mr. Levine,

The Waterfront Festival is a Red Cross event, not a City of Alexandria event. I encourage you to contact them regarding your concerns.

Thanks. Have a good weekend.

----
Justin M. Wilson, Member
Alexandria City Council
Office: 703.838.4500
Home: 703.299.1576
justin.wilson@alexandriava.gov

ed

imported post

Also.. on their RULES page they also list things like.. keep hydrated and wear sunscreen.

So.. some of you guys carry and I WONT WEAR SUNSCREEN.. and lets make sure we get treated the same!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not sure what frosts me more - the city thinking it can change rules at will, particularly by renting to the Red Cross, or the council member abdicating his responsibility to citizens by passing the buck to someone else.

I don't know what it is about this particular event, whether it's because we already know Alexandria is resistant to the state law or whether it's because I know the mayor is a Bloomberg wannabe or what, but I find myself wanting to be a test case for this. Unfortunately, given family situation and other considerations, I cannot do so this week.

I'm incensed, ready, and hobbled. Many expletives are waiting to vent. By dinner tonight I hope to have translated them into speech appropriate for an OCDO dinner.