• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by WVCPD's Finest at Wal-Mart

swillden

imported post

calmp9 wrote:
I doubt that Wal-Mart is going to bend on this. In fact, they're gong to cover their own asses. To them, it's not going to look good if they allow people to open carry or even carry concealed in their stores. First, they'll take away open carry and then the concealed carry will go to. I can see them installing metal detectors at the entrances.
Metal detectors at Wal-mart.

They'd have to be crazy. The cost would be insane. Not for the metal detectors, but for the employees to work the metal detectors. Rather than one "greeter" they'd need four or five guards, and it would really annoy the customers. Especially during heavy times of the day, when you'd end up with airport security-like lines to get in. Bad, bad business.

colormered

imported post

swillden wrote:
calmp9 wrote:
I doubt that Wal-Mart is going to bend on this. In fact, they're gong to cover their own asses. To them, it's not going to look good if they allow people to open carry or even carry concealed in their stores. First, they'll take away open carry and then the concealed carry will go to. I can see them installing metal detectors at the entrances.

They'd have to be crazy. The cost would be insane. Not for the metal detectors, but for the employees to work the metal detectors. Rather than one "greeter" they'd need four or five guards, and it would really annoy the customers. Especially during heavy times of the day, when you'd end up with airport security-like lines to get in. Bad, bad business.
No, they'd just build their stores INSIDE the secure areas of the airports, and let us foot the bill for THEIR added security...

And as far as not being able to return certain merchandise, "You'll have to take that up with airport security. It's out of our hands....."

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah yes, American capitalism.

Anyone happen to see the story about the failure of the "War on Drugs"? The financial (and law enforcement) drain on this country has failed to produce appreciable results. The proposed solution? Stop fighting drugs at a high level and instead use the money to financially incent private industry to frequently drug-test every employee.

What happens if the same philosophy spreads to the "War on Dangerous Weapons (guns)"? No need to try to pass restrictive gun laws in a country of 100,000,000 gun owners, nor any reason to deal with the "extremists" unhappy with the government ignoring the constitution, and of course no need to try to get a constitutional amendment to repeal the 2nd amendment. Instead, just give money to any company which prohibits employees from owning firearms...anyone work for a company that doesn't like tax incentives?

How many of us work for a living? Better watch out!

The 2nd amendment allows you to keep and bear arms (I think). If the government can't ignore the constitution because there are too many extremists who believe the constitution still means something, why not just incent private companies to do so? After all, private property owners are free to impose whatever restrictions they so desire....don't like - find another job.

My point? The government didn't say you couldn't have a gun! No problems there. Not there problem....

thx997303

imported post

Ridiculism. My word.

Just because a company says you can't own firearms, doesn't mean they have any weight. Here in Utah, they can fire you fo no reason whatsoever, but just don't let them know you own guns.

I can see this happening though. Bad stuff.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Just a update on this situation. I spoke with Don Schultz The district Manger over the West Valley City Wal-Marts. He has reaffirmed Wal-Marts stand on open carry that it is not allowed he stated he ran it through Wal-Marts Legal Department before contacting me. He also stated he did not have to post a sign saying this he also refused to put this in Writing. He is also forwarding this to The district VP for his consideration. I also am in contact with the regional Managers to get a final answer as well as Public Affairs. I am also waiting till I get a answer before appealing this to the board of directors. I hope that this issue will turn around in our favor. I had a good conversation with Don Schultz and hope this relationship will move forward in the right direction. I will keep you posted on the progress. I would also like to get your input if anyone has contact info for rolando The district VP please let me know E-mails or phone contact also anyone in the regional office or a good contact info for bentonville Ark. I want this to be positive and nothing negitive.

scorpioajr

imported post

unreal - I have OCed with @ the Walmart in AF like 3 or 4 times and no one has said BOO... and the 2 times i went to Cabellas, the only time i even felt like anyone knew i was OCing was at the register..

...i am interested to see what the REAL story is with NO GUNS in Walmart policy.

thx997303

imported post

What! I'm pretty sure that we have a thread that has been over this, and someone spoke with Wal-mart corporate, and they said that they follow all laws applicable where the wal mart is.

If someone has a link to that thread post it.

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
What! I'm pretty sure that we have a thread that has been over this, and someone spoke with Wal-mart corporate, and they said that they follow all laws applicable where the wal mart is.

If someone has a link to that thread post it.
THAT wut i thought. but here we go...

thx997303

imported post

[align=left]NOt the thread I wanted to find, but a good article.
[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left][highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart Gun Policy Saves New Mexico Woman's Life
class=contentPosted on Friday, August 26 @ 12:27:11 EDT by jeff
class=content
Ohioans have learned that [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart stores have consistently removed any "No Guns" signs posted by local management. Ohioans For Concealed Carry has learned that the majority of these signs are the result of local management being duped by "compliance kits" mailed out with the impression that the signs are required by law.

[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]corporate operations have repeatedly required every single sign to be taken down promptly when representatives or members of Ohioans For Concealed Carry have reported a rogue posting.

[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart's policy is made clear by this consistent behavior: Holstered firearms in possession of the law-abiding citizen are not prohibited in their stores.

A New Mexico woman is alive today thanks to the fact this policy is enforced nationwide with [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart.
New Mexico [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart shoppers who witnessed a woman being stabbed yesterday now understand why law-abiding gun owners desire a means to protect themselves, and in rare cases, others whose lives are in immediate danger with the imminent risk of death.

Friends of a woman whose name has not been released told Albuquerque (New Mexico) television stations that the injured woman recently obtained a useless restraining order against her ex-husband. While the restraining order tells us quite a bit about the situation, yet again it has proven to be a nearly useless tool for self-defense or prevention of violence.

Despite a court order to stay away from his ex-wife, a man entered a [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart store and attempted to kill her.

According to Tuscaloosa News, a man whose name has also not been released was in the New Mexico Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart when he came upon a domestic dispute where a man was repeatedly stabbing a woman.

The unknown man intervened, opening fire on the attacker, saving the life of the badly injured ex-wife.

The knife-wielding attacker died from his injuries.

From tuscaloosanews.com: [/align]
  1. Police spokeswoman Trish Hoffman said a witness told authorities that a man had been stabbing the woman inside the store when another man intervened and shot her attacker.

Hoffman said the stabbing appeared to stem from a domestic dispute. She did not know the relationship between the woman and the dead man, but friends of the woman told Albuquerque television stations that she had recently obtained a restraining order against her ex-husband.

"It looks like it's a possibility that the guy who shot the other man will be justified," Hoffman said. "From what witnesses are telling us, it corroborates his story that the male was stabbing the female and he intervened."
Had this poor woman been in a retail store that prohibited firearms for self protection, chances are the man who saved her life would have been turned away at the door, shopped elsewhere, or left his firearm elsewhere.

This woman is alive today because [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart has taken the high road and made the right decision that has resulted in one innocent woman's life being saved. We all owe a debt of gratitude both to [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart for bucking the politically correct “easy” decision, and the unknown individual whose life will never be the same after being forced to defend someone he didn’t know.

When most stores and managers are approached to remove their signs the first question they ask is "Why do you think you'd need a gun in here?" -- due to yesterday's unfortunate events we can point to a reason that nobody can deny.

The New Mexico [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]Wal-[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 136);]Mart situation could happen anywhere, at any time, and to anyone of us, armed or not.

thewise1

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Just a update on this situation. I spoke with Don Schultz The district Manger over the West Valley City Wal-Marts. He has reaffirmed Wal-Marts stand on open carry that it is not allowed he stated he ran it through Wal-Marts Legal Department before contacting me. He also stated he did not have to post a sign saying this he also refused to put this in Writing. He is also forwarding this to The district VP for his consideration. I also am in contact with the regional Managers to get a final answer as well as Public Affairs. I am also waiting till I get a answer before appealing this to the board of directors. I hope that this issue will turn around in our favor. I had a good conversation with Don Schultz and hope this relationship will move forward in the right direction. I will keep you posted on the progress. I would also like to get your input if anyone has contact info for rolando The district VP please let me know E-mails or phone contact also anyone in the regional office or a good contact info for bentonville Ark. I want this to be positive and nothing negitive.
I don't know what Utah law is, but in Washington I know that people have discovered that Walmart's official corporate policy is to mirror state law and that they have no problem with firearms.

I apologize that I don't have more information than that, but check in the Washington forum and someone there will have the name and phone number of Walmart's security chief, he will fix this for you.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Anyone doing this is in error at a minimum. They are misinfomed and you need to go over their heads to get it straightened out. It is corporate policy and the local yahoo has no authoutity to override corporate, ever. Contact this guy, he will fix it for you;

Wal Mart Corp Security Chief,

Jason Schmidt

253-770-4399

Here is the link from the Washington Post

Not sure if this number is right calling it as I type

calmp9

imported post

swillden wrote:
calmp9 wrote:

Damn! I was hoping that I would be wrong about this, but it was predictable. I didn't think it would be that quick either.

joelevi

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
... Upon speaking to Brad Peterson the store manager of that store he stated that he was not well versed on the law. But will call the WVCPD every time he see’s someone walking around wall-mart with a holstered firearm he will always call the police. ...
So he will call the Police every time he sees a Police Officer walking in his store with a holstered firearm?

After all, a Police Office is a "man with a gun."

Ironic, isn't it, that Brad called "men with guns" about a "man with a gun" and they dispatched more "men with guns."

- www.JoeLevi.com