• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Report from Chesapeake:

Pointman

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
This whole situation stinks. I don't know what happened that night but the LEOs side of the tale keeps getting shakier and shakier.
You just have to read the last paragraph to understand the situation:

"Police were at Frederick's house looking for what an informant described as a complex marijuana-growing operation in the shed behind his home. Police found only enough marijuana to charge Frederick with a misdemeanor. However, prosecutors later upped the charge to a felony, saying Frederick intended to grow and distribute marijuana."

How did Frederick go from being a pot smoker to a cash-crop producer and distributor?

Sheriff

imported post

Thundar wrote:
...a class III owner and has had to deal withVSP in more depth about firearms...
As a Class III owner, all I had to do was register each weapon with the Virginia State Police.

It didn't involve anything more than simply registering.

Thundar

imported post

"Mystery Bullet"

WTKR just ran the story tonight 18 June- .223 shell found at Frederick's home was not tested like the .380 shells were tested. No DNA tests, no extractor tests. The lab report indicates that nothing was done to the shell, except to identify it as .223.Police deny that they fired any shots. Too bad the MP4s used by police were not compared to the .223 shell for matching extractor marks and too bad the .223 shell was not tested for DNA

The station also said the shell casing would play a key role in Frederick's defense. I do not know how accurate this information is, but WTKR has been the most accurate and most complete news source for the home assault incident.

Thundar

imported post

Prosecutor won't seek death penalty for Ryan Frederick

By John Hopkins
The Virginian-Pilot
© June 20, 2008

CHESAPEAKE

Special prosecutor Paul Ebert said Thursday that he will not seek the death penalty against Ryan Frederick, the 28-year-old Chesapeake man accused of killing a city detective.

Frederick is charged with capital murder, use of a firearm during the commission of murder and manufacturing marijuana. He is accused of fatally shooting Detective Jarrod Shivers on the night of Jan. 17 while Shivers and more than a dozen other officers executed a drug search warrant.

Shivers, a 34-year-old father of three, was standing near Frederick's home in the 900 block of Restart Ave., when he was shot, police said.

Ebert said his decision was based on Frederick's age and lack of a criminal record. Ebert noted that Shivers was hit by only one shot, which he said would not constitute the "aggravated battery" needed in a death penalty case.

State law requires a prosecutor to disclose before a trial begins whether he will seek the death penalty against someone charged with capital murder. Ebert informed Chesapeake Circuit Court of his decision during a conference call from Northern Virginia. He also set three tentative dates for motion hearings in the case.

He said there has been much speculation about the case and that the public will be surprised by the facts when they come out during the trial. Frederick's lawyer, James Broccoletti, could not be reached for comment Thursday evening.

Ebert, the commonwealth's attorney from Prince William County, was appointed to prosecute the case because local prosecutors had worked closely with Shivers. Chesapeake Commonwealth's Attorney Nancy Parr sought an outside prosecutor to avoid any perceived appearance of conflict or bias by her office.

Frederick remains in jail without a bond. In a jail interview earlier this year, Frederick said he fired two shots through his door at what he feared were intruders that night.

The two shots were fired through the front door as officers were using a battering ram on it. One shot from a .380-caliber handgun hit Shivers, an eight-year police veteran.

After the shooting, police returned with a second search warrant and seized a Bersa "Firestorm" .380-caliber handgun, two .380 bullet casings, one .223-caliber bullet casing, a Samsung TV, a broken wooden door, a pry bar, a battering ram, a shoe and flashlight.

The .223-caliber shell was entered into the National Integrated Ballistics Information Network and could not be matched, according to lab results. Police have said they did not return fire during the raid.

John Hopkins, (757) 222-5221, john.hopkins@pilotonline.com

WTKR (Channel 3) Video:

http://www.wtkr.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=2609762&h1=Ryan%20Frederick%20Is%20Not%20Seeking%20Death%20Penalty&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=84667&LaunchPageAdTag=Inside&activePane=info&rnd=89320089

JeffersonDavis

imported post

I like this part:

"He said there has been much speculation about the case and that the public will be surprised by the facts when they come out during the trial."

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!