• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dooger

imported post

Just wanted to say HI! from the U.P. I'm new to carrying. Just got my CPL last Tuesday. Don't really know much about open carry, but I've leaned a lot from Vernator on another site and through some MI AG readings from a long PDF file.

So far I'm pretty comfortable carrying. I'm leaning more and more towards OC'ing now and then. Just need some more education on the topic.

WARCHILD

imported post

Welcome to OCDO: You picked a good person to start off with to listen to. Venator will get an answer to any question. And as Doug said; READ, there's a lot of info on this site. Maybe sometime when you have plans to come south, you could meet up with us.

warlockmatized

imported post

welcome aboard.

pretty new myself. i have to agree with the above posters....read, read, read, and don't forget to ask. if you've read til you're blind, and ar still confused or have any questions, ask away.

great group of people here as i found out, very eager to help. enjoy your stay and welcome to the world of open carry.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

new to OC as well dooger, and in the UP as well. You're not in the Keweenaw area by chance, been dying to open carry in a more public place but am still hesitant to leave my comfort zone, which is extremely small right now, lol.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
new to OC as well dooger, and in the UP as well. You're not in the Keweenaw area by chance, been dying to open carry in a more public place but am still hesitant to leave my comfort zone, which is extremely small right now, lol.

Read this article on our experience in Burton, MI. Read closely what the Police Chief states about the legality of open carry.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/06/openly_carrying_their_guns_gro.html

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here its not common to see open carrying,but the police localy (one) and the county boys are all aware its legal and don't seem to mind discussing it or the thought of seeing it happen. Being an area dominated by hunters and sportsmen though, I am sure if we had higher crime rates we would see plenty more open carry done here. Luckily for us, we live in a pretty low crime rate area.