• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 22 (40 S&W)

SickTag

imported post

I was thinking about buying a new side arm. I have been looking at both the 1911 and the Glock 22. How much more of an advantage is a larger mag capacity with the Glock? Can anyone who has owned either side arm give me some pros and cons with their own experiences from either of these two?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I owe two 1911's (a Kimber in .45 and a Springfield Armory in 9mm). Both of these are fine handguns. I also own a Glock 23 of which I am quite fond. As for carrying purposes, I would, and do, pick up the Glock 23 every time over either of my 1911 for several reasons.

Weight. The 23 weighs quite a bit less than either of my 1911's. This serves me well with my carry holster since it can be smaller and rides nicer on my belt and side.

Size. I like the size of the 23. While I mostly carry my Glock 27, I do carry my 23 or my 19 at times. I have others in my carry stable such as some Kahr's which are fine carry pieces.

Capacity. Hard to beat a double stacked magazine holding some extra bad boys if needed.

Reliability. I would bet the Glock has a much higher percentage of reliability than most any 1911.

Simplicity. I am not a fan of carrying Condition 1 and with a 1911, that is the condition one should carry that type of gun in if it is to be ready at an instant's notice. With the Glock, it is even simplier than a single action in Condition 1. No external safety, so all you do is point and pull the trigger.

Am I a big fan of the Glock and therefore have blinders on when considering other weapons for personal defense? Absolutely not! I admire anything that works as it was designed and works well everytime. Ten years ago, I bought two Glocks (a 23 and a 27) and soon after got rid of both of them because I didn't like them. In the past 15 months, I've bought 4 Glocks (23, 26, 27, 19) and I like all of them. They will remain in my collection. Go fiigure.

So if you are looking for a gun to take to the range and punch holes in paper, the 1911 is the better choice. If you are looking for a gun to serve multiple purposes, the most important of which is personal protection, get the Glock.

And consider the 23 along with the 22.. you might be surprised.

apcci2

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
This is good advice. I have a 22 and 23. Then 22 usually stays in the safe, only because the 23 is a little smaller, lighter and more practical for everyday use.

SouthernBoy

imported post

apcci2 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
This is good advice. I have a 22 and 23. Then 22 usually stays in the safe, only because the 23 is a little smaller, lighter and more practical for everyday use.
I find the G23 and G19 to be nearly perfect in terms of capacity, size, and weight. Remove one or more of those factors and one can include other sidearms in the mix. The Kahrs I mentioned come to mind. I really like my K40 Elite '98 and K9 Elite '03. But you have the capacity factor here along with something else. Rock solid reliability. The Glock has an edge in this department which just so happens to be the most important factor of all. It must go BANG when it is suppose to.

apcci2

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The Kahrs I mentioned come to mind. I really like my K40 Elite '98 and K9 Elite '03. But you have the capacity factor here along with something else. Rock solid reliability. The Glock has an edge in this department which just so happens to be the most important factor of all. It must go BANG when it is suppose to.
Yep. Good point. I like my Kahr, carry it at times, but i feel at times like I'm more vulnerable with it that with my Glock or M&P

tattedupboy

imported post

Even though I don't own any 1911s and I do own a Glock 22, I have held and shot both. All things considered, you could not go wrong with either weapon.

Glock pros: everything the previous posters said
Glock cons: the two stage trigger pull is like nothing I have ever felt on any other handgun. It is going to take some getting used to.

1911 pros: Can be carried cocked and locked, and has a nice crisp trigger pull, much better than on any Glock
1911 cons: magazine capacity is not as much as on the Glock; however, with practice, this should not be an issue if you're able to hit what you're aiming at.

SouthernBoy

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Even though I don't own any 1911s and I do own a Glock 22, I have held and shot both. All things considered, you could not go wrong with either weapon.

Glock pros: everything the previous posters said
Glock cons: the two stage trigger pull is like nothing I have ever felt on any other handgun. It is going to take some getting used to.

1911 pros: Can be carried cocked and locked, and has a nice crisp trigger pull, much better than on any Glock
1911 cons: magazine capacity is not as much as on the Glock; however, with practice, this should not be an issue if you're able to hit what you're aiming at.
True. It takes some getting use to with the Glock trigger. And no one who knows semi-auto pistols will argue the fact that the trigger on a 1911 is the best going simply because of its action. It does not swivel in an arc but rather is pulled straight back which makes it a very natural action and lends itself to accuracy.

If buying a Glock, the 3.5 connector is a near must-have. I have it on three of my Glocks and am glad I do. As for the trigger action, you can get used to it and find it works just fine in a combat pistol.

As for Condition 1 carry, the Glock has an advantage here because there is just one action needed to send a round down the tube versus two for a cocked and locked 1911. Still I would not argue with an experienced 1911 user because those two actions can be incredibly quick.

I have both and admire both for their individual positives.

tattedupboy

imported post

If buying a Glock, the 3.5 connector is a near must-have. I have it on three of my Glocks and am glad I do. As for the trigger action, you can get used to it and find it works just fine in a combat pistol.

Personally, I don't like the idea of tinkering too much with the gun, particularly the trigger. I would not recommend this because the Glock manufacturers made the weapon as is for a reason, and it works best without being modified. Read this:

http://members.aol.com/braxton1/glocktriggers.html

exgabrit

imported post

Not sure if you've purchased or not. I have a Glock 17 hi-cap mags, GEN-1, i.e. late 80's
I've also fired a Glock 22.
Glock 22 has a little more snap, but not by much. accuracy ? Glock 17 way better. Glock 22 is still good. But my 17 dumps 20-30 rounds in the diameter of a small orange at 7-10 yards.
i'd rather be able to do that than hit a soccer ball with a bunch of .40's

SickTag wrote:
I was thinking about buying a new side arm. I have been looking at both the 1911 and the Glock 22. How much more of an advantage is a larger mag capacity with the Glock? Can anyone who has owned either side arm give me some pros and cons with their own experiences from either of these two?

ParaChem

imported post

I own and carry the Glock 22. Have fired the 1911. Everyone will have a varied opinion as you see. I still think the best way to buy is to shoot both and make your own determination.

I prefer a Glock, mainly because when and if I need to draw I like the fact that the safety is my finger on or off the trigger. (Stole that from my brother, Deputy Sheriff in Florida).

I do agree that the trigger takes a little getting used to, roughly 300-400 rounds oughta do.

Let us know what you decide, curious minds would like to know!

Good Luck.

Dustin

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Dustin wrote:
If your looking for a 40 cal., you should check into the

The New SpringField XD(M) 40 Cal.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/11794.html
+1

I have a Glock 22 and the trigger Pull on the XD's is i've checked out is worlds better.

True you can try to dial in the glock, but for out of the box, the XD is the better deal (Lower priced Mags to)

XDM FTW :)

The trigger pull and short reset out of the box is Very tight and precise. Also with a match grade barrel, and out of the box 40 ca. (16 rnd Mag).

Needless to say, I've made my choice.

I can't speak for the XD's, but the XD-M's are quite an impressive weapon ;)

I Love Glocks, and I never thought a pistol would feel as good in my hand like the G-22 did. But the XDM just feels perfect. Plus I like the dual mag release.

ParaChem

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
Dustin wrote:
If your looking for a 40 cal., you should check into the

The New SpringField XD(M) 40 Cal.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/11794.html
+1

I have a Glock 22 and the trigger Pull on the XD's is i've checked out is worlds better.

True you can try to dial in the glock, but for out of the box, the XD is the better deal (Lower priced Mags to)

XDM FTW :)

The trigger pull and short reset out of the box is Very tight and precise. Also with a match grade barrel, and out of the box 40 ca. (16 rnd Mag).

Needless to say, I've made my choice.

I can't speak for the XD's, but the XD-M's are quite an impressive weapon ;)

I Love Glocks, and I never thought a pistol would feel as good in my hand like the G-22 did. But the XDM just feels perfect. Plus I like the dual mag release.

Where were you when I was purchasing. I coulda used some one showing me different pistols.

I still probably would've bought the Glock, but it would have been good to have some one else suggest a few others.

Manka Cat

imported post

I carry a Glock 23, 9 FMJ rounds with 4 HPs on top of that, with a Glock tactical light, in a Fobus break away holster.
Its perfect. Weight, capacity, size, caliber...consider the 23 before buying a 22.

Jack Hollowpoint

imported post

I sold the Glock 22 after about six weeks. I don't care for Glocks generally, for all sorts of design reasons.

Two 1911's -- full size and sub-compact.

NONE of these guns are suitable for CCW. Hell yes, I can carry an Uzi carbine or a Desert Eagle 44 mag in CCW, but their not "suitable" for day in and day out.

You should look at some compact "carry" guns. .357 mag J-frame would be a starting point.

Hammer

imported post

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. In the one case, a 3.5# connector is a stock Glock or aftermarket part, while in the case written of in your reference, we're talking some gunsmith work to reduce undertravel and overtravel. Even the reference is OK with limiting overtravel, tho as noted, it's one thing for a game gun, and something else you may depend on for your life. Personnally, I would NEVER set undertravel stops on a GLock, but that's just me. The effort to make a D/A trigger feel like a S/A trigger says one thing to me: Get a S/A pistol. I own a Delta Elite. It has a trigger I worked myself. It certainly is a nice one to pull, and far superior to my Glock, but again, we're comparing apples and oranges. I have learned to shoot my Glock with combat accuracy, with no mods other than a 3.5# connector.
It's in the hand behind the gun. There's no magic in the steel(OK, the poly)

tattedupboy wrote:

Personally, I don't like the idea of tinkering too much with the gun, particularly the trigger. I would not recommend this because the Glock manufacturers made the weapon as is for a reason, and it works best without being modified. Read this:

http://members.aol.com/braxton1/glocktriggers.html

ParaChem

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I carried a 22 on duty for a few years. Loved it so much that I bought a 23 for my off duty gun.

The 23 is still my gun of choice today...hands down.

Jim
My brother is a Deputy down in Florida he carries the G22 and has a G27 off duty. How much difference is the 23 from the 27?