• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public OC Picnic

Panos1296

imported post

I am a new member and a new gun owner. I never even shot before until a few months ago. Now, I love my .40 XD-M. Also,the libertarian in me loves the idea of OC.

To ALL OC gun owners near the Charlotte vicinity: A picnic, or a simple gathering, at a public park. Bring your spouses, kids, friends, relatives, whoever is willing to OC at a public park. I was thinking July 4, however, that may be too hot and too soon. How about Labor Day in September? I am thinking 40-50 ppl. (Not all of us need to be OCing to make an impact.) I plan to have my wife and 2 daughters there, they wont be carrying, but I will. I will notify gun owning friends too. We should tip the newspapers and TV stations too. (I think this would be newsworthy). "Hey, look at all these gun-toting, law abiding individuals and their families!"

Without media coverage, OC wont be more acceptable anytime soon. Who else is open to this idea?

Godscreation

imported post

I'm interested, I live in huntersville and there are some cool parks around here, like Jetton Village in Cornelius. Grills, near the lake (nice view or good for swimming for the kids if it's not in Sept.). Even if it's like only 10 or so people I'm down with that. 10 OCers plus family; maybe 25 peeps or so? I could rally behind that.

So in order not to make this a "where do you want to go? I don't know how about you? wanna do this? Is that OK with others? Maybe?" I am suggesting Jetton Village in September. Panos, set the date of when this is going down. The suggestion of Jetton Village park is up to you as well, but that's close to me so I'd thought I would mention it. Hehe.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

That's three. Who else? How about you mid Carolinians?

edit: I am adding the idea of a few of us getting together that morning prior to the picnic for some range time, obviously not a requirement for getting together. I just love any excuse to shoot.

peak1nc

imported post

Panos, Count me in, and keep me in the loop as to a possible time and date. This would be a great event to help educate the public, and have a fun time in the process.

Panos1296

imported post

Never heard of Jetton Park, but I am not discounting it. I am willing to travel there, but I dont know about my wife and kids. Would Charlotte TV stations go up there for a small video clip? I dont know. Of course, theres no guarantee theywould bother with this OC gathering anyway no matter where we have it.

Any other suggestions on locations?

I'm sure my brother in law wouldparticipate too.

rdinatal

imported post

This is the only reference I could find.When I started to searchNC might seen gun friendly but digging in deep shows so many laws on the books where you can't carry.

15A NCAC 12B .0901 FIREARMS: WEAPONS: EXPLOSIVES

(a) No person except authorized park employees, their agents, or contractors, or officers of the state shall carry or possess

firearms, airguns, bows and arrows, sling shots, or lethal missiles of any kind within any park.

(b) The possession or use of cap pistols is prohibited. The possession or use of dynamite or other powerful explosives as

defined in G.S. 14-284.1 is prohibited.

(c) The possession or use of pyrotechnics is prohibited except for pyrotechnics exhibited, used, or discharged in connection

with an authorized public exhibition and approved by the Director of the Division of Parks and Recreation, or designee.

Persons wishing to possess or use pyrotechnics in connection with a public exhibition, such as a public celebration shall file

an application for a special use permit with the appropriate park superintendent. All applicants shall enter an indemnification

agreement with the Department and obtain general liability and property damage insurance, with limits as determined by the

Secretary or designee, which are reasonably necessary to cover possible liability for damage to property and bodily injury or

damage to persons which may result from, or be caused by, the public exhibition of pyrotechnics or any act(s) or omission(s)

on the part of the applicant(s) or the applicant’s agents, servants, employees, or subcontractors presenting the public

exhibition. The Division Director, or designee, may deny an application as deemed necessary to protect the public health,

safety, and welfare, or to protect the natural resources of the park unit.

History Note: Authority G.S. 14-410; 14-415; 113-35;

Eff. February 1, 1976;

Amended Eff. October 1, 1984; January 1, 1983;

Temporary Amendment Eff. July 2, 1997.

Temporary Amendment Expired September 29, 1998.

Amended Eff. April 1, 1999.

Panos1296

imported post

We'll be closed on Labor Day. LOL. Another idea would be a short march down a busy street carrying our handguns and promoting the website. However, this doesnt appeal to me nearly as much. At that point it becomes an exhibition as opposed to just law abiding citizens excercising their rights and minding their own business.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Most of the crew do small meetups for lunch or dinner. This actually gets the desired affect, and we don't need to take the weather into account. There are several restaurants that welcome our business, and our firearms. The idea of marching would violate parts of NC law that state (paraphrased) that we are not allowed to carry firearms in parades, demonstrations or public outdoor gatherings. It was put into the law to prevent the racial groups from being met with dealy opposition during the civil rights movements of the past. It is a stupid law, but it is a law all the same and we could be crushed under its weight. We could start out real small and just have a range day, or even a campout at the Uwharrie National Forest. The have an excellent outdoor range, and nice camping sites.