Thread: Moving on out

Post imported post

Hey guys and gals!

Currently i live in Kentucky and i OC regularly around here. Im 20 years of age and will be 21 july 17.

Im going to be moving to Tucson AZ in about 2-3 weeks mayby sooner.

And im just curious if OC'ing in AZ (Especially tucson) is ok.

I know its a gold state im just curious how bad LEO's hassle ya guys and if any laws are about to be passed top hurt OC'ing

anyway thanks for the help.

keep on keeping on!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Welcome to AZ!!! I can't speak for Tucson but I've been been OCing in Yuma for about eight months with no LE contact. I've only had one "encounter" with a private citizen. Most people in AZ just don't care.

Post imported post

Whenever I do open carry, I usually only get weird looks. What brings you out to Tucson if you don't mind me asking?

Post imported post

Do not worry about cops. OC is probably the least common in Phoenix, and I do it there daily. I've seen no less than 15 cops see my gun, about 12 of those being in Phoenix. Not one ever said a word. If you keep your eyes out, you will see OC regularly. The worst thing that could happen is that some joe schmuck will be offended (probably from So Cal), but rest assured the police won't give a flying crap.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Anyone have experience OC (or CC) through one of those illegal immigration checkpoints? I guess they're more common further south than Phoenix, like Tucson....

I've seen a youtube where a driver records his encounter and refuses even to acknowlege he's an American, or answer any questions for that matter.

Anyway, any cautions recommended if you come across one?

Post imported post

Radisma wrote:
    Im going to be moving to Tucson AZ in about 2-3 weeks mayby sooner.
    And im just curious if OC'ing in AZ (Especially tucson) is ok.
    I have lived in Tucson for about 5 years. I carry openly most of the time to "innoculate" others about seeing a man with a gun (even though from a tactical perspective OC is not smart). I OCin banks, businesses and resturants that don't serve booze. My wife and I both OC when we're walking our dogs in the nieghborhood every morning. It's rare that I get comments and they're usually positive.A couple of cops told me they liked my gun (a Glock like theirs).

From a congitive psychology perspective, most people are incabable of seeing the gun you are wearing openly - you can't see what you're not looking for.

That said, in 1994 AZ had two very bad court decisions that knocked the legs out from under the OC laws and now it's almost entirely up to the vantage point and attitude of the LEO you encounter, so I'd recommend having a CCW at the same time.

I recommend everyone read Mike Anthony's "Legal Issue Relating to the use of Deadly Force" - in particular pages 20-23 regarding carrying without a permit.

I'm also attaching an AzCDL flyer about open carry, the laws and the court decsions.

Fred

Attached Files Attached Files

Post imported post

ATCer wrote:
    Whenever I do open carry, I usually only get weird looks. What brings you out to Tucson if you don't mind me asking?
    Girlfriends family lives out in AZ so im going out there with her.

Also in KY getting on a police force is alot harder (just because our towns are small and are never recruiting ) so i wanted to move to a biger city and try to get on a police force in AZ.

So hoping that police force is easier to get on in AZ than KY

Post imported post

Well, I'm in Tucson, and it's not uncommon to see people OC. Don't get the wrong idea, there are not people walking around like the old west, but I see someone at OCing at least once a week. It's about time to do a meet and greet out here in Tucson I think.

Post imported post

I OC a lot in the east valley, the only issue I've had is at a shopping center in Tempe that wasn't posted no fire arms (apparently they haven't gotten them put up yet) by a security guard after coming out of a movie theater. It was rather amusing actually as I went into a local eatery with the gf, where a LEO was who didn't even raise an eyebrow to me carrying, and then 2 more LEO's were walking outside and had the same reaction. Then when walking to my car a nervous security guard, clearly not from arizona (asked me if I had my license to own the firearm on me), asked me to not bring my fire arm on the grounds as it was a no fire arm area.

I have been around many cops who didn't have a problem. In fact I spoke at length with a Tempe LEO about joining the Tempe PD, all the while OC'ing.

You will get some odd looks. You will also have people asking you what kind of gun you have (mostly young guys). I have yet to have someone ask me why I carry a gun (I'm just itching to throw out the "because a cop is too heavy to carry" line).

You'll enjoy AZ's gun laws regarding open carry. Hope the move goes well!

Post imported post

Radisma wrote:
    ATCer wrote:
    So hoping that police force is easier to get on in AZ than KY
    Tucson PD might be tough right now - the cop union is running ads that the city manager won't hire any new cops, despite our climbing crime rate the dubious distinction as "drug central."

On the other hand, Pima County Sheriff (where Tucson is located) seems to always be hiring.

One of Arizona's cottage industries is prisons, and they seem to always be hiring.

Same with the Border Patrol, lots of jobs there.

Post imported post

AZ IS CONDIDERED A VERY GUN FRIENDLY STATE. OC OVER AGE 21. CCW VERY SIMPLE TO OBTAIN. ONLY REFUSAL TO GRANT IS IF FELON, OR CERTIFIABLY NUTS, OR UNDER 21.

SIX MONTHS RESIDENCY (I THINK?????????)

Post imported post

WRONG OH WISE ONE! PHX HAS MORE ILLEGAL CHECKPOINTS! OC & CCW NO PROB, BUT FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, IF COP HASEN'T SEEN GUN, TELL HIM YOU ARE CARRYING; AND ASK HIM WHAT HE WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO!!

HE MAY ASK YOU TO KEEP HANDS AWAY FROM IT WHILE TALKING TO HIM (COMMON SENSE)

Post imported post

ALL AGENCIES IN THE COUNTY ARE RECRUITING ACTIVELY ALL AROUND PHX!

Post imported post

Alec411 wrote:
    AZ IS CONDIDERED A VERY GUN FRIENDLY STATE. OC OVER AGE 21. CCW VERY SIMPLE TO OBTAIN. ONLY REFUSAL TO GRANT IS IF FELON, OR CERTIFIABLY NUTS, OR UNDER 21.

SIX MONTHS RESIDENCY (I THINK?????????)
    Nope, no residency requirements. Except if you have an out of state permit you can't use it in AZ if you are a resident here.

PCSO is hiring. http://www.pimasheriff.org/deputynew.htm Too late for the July class, but there is an October class starting up as well.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

OC age is 18 not 21

Post imported post

I have yet to have someone ask me why I carry a gun (I'm just itching to throw out the "because a cop is too heavy to carry" line).

I'm waiting for someone to ask me if I'm "expecting trouble," so I can use Jeff Cooper's line, "No, if I were expecting trouble, I'd have brought a rifle."

Post imported post

John Skookum wrote:
    I have yet to have someone ask me why I carry a gun (I'm just itching to throw out the "because a cop is too heavy to carry" line).

I'm waiting for someone to ask me if I'm "expecting trouble," so I can use Jeff Cooper's line, "No, if I were expecting trouble, I'd have brought a rifle."
    I'll have to remember that! I've used the line: 'Cause the Sheriff's too heavy' tho... :shock:

They've always been Yankee noobs in theirshorts 'n sandals.