• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio Open carry Questiongs

Bigjake

imported post

It's hotter than hell out, and I think I'm going to try open carry for the first time. CCW is just a pain in the neck with 90 degree heat.

So.... What should I know? I've checked all the laws , and asside from the usual .gov and bar places I can't carry anyway, is everywhere else pretty much fair game?

:question:

Bullbuster

imported post

First off welcome to OCDO.

If my memory serves me correctly you can not OC in Ohio. Try posting in the Ohio section. Also take a look on the OCDO homepage at the OC states.

Smiget

imported post

It is perfectly legal to OC in the state of Ohio.
You can carry both handguns and long guns and they can be loaded.
You cannot be charged with disorderly conduct or inducing panic for openly carrying a weapon.
You don't require a license to carry either (however you do need a CHL to carry openly in a vehicle).
To prove I'm not just pulling this out of my arse here's this:

Information for officers regarding “Open Carry” of firearms by citizens
In late summer in Akron, Ohio a couple officers saw a man walking on a Main St. sidewalk with a pistol strapped in a holster on his hip in plain view. The man said nothing and did nothing threatening. In fact, he was with his adult daughter and the two stepped into a restaurant to order food. He was just going about his own business. The officers were concerned, not yet alarmed, but wondered, “What police action should we take?”
When Concealed Carry was made legal in Ohio some changes came about that affect local law. Most recently, state law enacted “preemption” with purpose to make any and all laws pertaining to firearms a statewide matter with uniform regulation and enforcement. Simply put, the state law trumps any pre-existing local ordinances and prohibits creation of new ordinances in conflict with state law.
Under state law, there is no prohibition against carrying a firearm openly, i.e., not concealed. A permit is not required to carry this way. Carrying a pistol openly on the hip is not breaking the law. This action in and of itself alone is not a basis for a stop.
Neither is carrying a gun openly disorderly conduct or inducing panic. If an officer engages in conversation with a person who is carrying a gun openly, but otherwise not committing a crime, the person cannot be required to produce identification. The law does specify that a person may not carry a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle except under the provisions set forth for a person who possesses a concealed handgun license.
Sgt. Jeff Mullins, Training Bureau. Reviewed and Approved by Police Legal Advisor, Mr. Tom DiCaudo, Asst. Prosecutor, City of Akron.

Legba

imported post

Well, you can be charged, but you can win at trial if it comes to that. More likely, they would dismiss when they realized the error of their way.

Also, state-specific questions are more properly posted under the state sub-forums.

Welcome to the forum.

-ljp