• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law on firearms in car in indiana

Skippy

imported post

Carrying in your vehicle is no different than outside your vehicle in IN. As long as you are legally licensed, you can carry however you wish.

In other words, IN law doesn't require you to put it in plain view.

However, I believe you still have to abide by the terms of your out-of-state license, so if (for example) your license says concealed, it has to be concealed.

IANAL, YMMV.

Skippy

imported post

You cannot transport a firearm in Indiana without a license except under a small number of very specific circumstances.

tattedupboy

imported post

Are you saying that you don't have a CCW permit from your home state, or from nowhere? I'm asking because if you have a nonresident license from anywhere, that will also be recognized and you'll be able to carry here. Indiana, like your home state, honors permits from every state.

lichtd

imported post

I was in IN this week and had a question. My CWP is from Michigan. As such, the car is considered concealment. Because of this, I have a nice mounted Fobus car mount that holds my .45 by the shifter. I.E., in plain view in the car.

This is ok in Michigan. How about IN?

David

Jared

imported post

iCeMaN wrote:
I live in ky but i was wonder what the laws are for some like me going to see a friend in indiana. Any one know?

Indiana recognizes any permit from any state or country....

1. Subject to any restrictions on the license.

2. Provided that you are not a resident of Indiana.

Get a permit from Pennsylvania or new hampshire or something can carry on that. You could even get one from Israel or Romania... you have your options.

Subject to any permit restrictions you can open carry or conceal carry. I have open carried in Indianapolis without issue, it seems to be good there.

Without a permit, you can't even transport a handgun in a vehicle unless you are going from your home to your business. No other exceptions.

Prometheus

imported post

lichtd wrote:
I was in IN this week and had a question. My CWP is from Michigan. As such, the car is considered concealment. Because of this, I have a nice mounted Fobus car mount that holds my .45 by the shifter. I.E., in plain view in the car.

This is ok in Michigan. How about IN?

David
Yes it is.