• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found this gem at Officer.com

Sheriff

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Is that what we've become as a nation?

Yes.

You should see some of the discussions in the "law enforcementofficers only" sections of several other police forums.

Dustin

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Irepeat guys and girls...... a lot of those people posting over there are NOT cops. They register, pretend they are cops, and join right in the conversations. There is no verification process on officer.com like there is on most other police forums.

:quirky

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
The vast majority of posters in that thread show a blatant disregard and/or ignorance of certain aspects of the law, civil rights, constitutional rights, due process or SCOTUS rulings and an arrogant derision of their fellow citizens.
Irepeat guys and girls...... a lot of those people posting over there are NOT cops. They register, pretend they are cops, and join right in the conversations. There is no verification process on officer.com like there is on most other police forums.
Agreed. IMHO, many who post on the police forums are Security Guards, armed and unarmed, volunteer reserve city officers and volunteer deputy sheriff's, etc. Those mentioned are not "Peace Officers" who are paid, full-time employed officers of a police agency with full powers of arrest.

danbus

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Too Much not known to say what's right or wrong.

If the LEO's drew down on him just for carrying than, that's wrong.

But he must have obviously been hanging around doing something dumb. How else would they have saw him, went inside, notified manager, dialed 911, waited for the LEO's to show up, and HE'S STILL IN THE PARKING LOT !?!?!?

If he were just walking through carrying, then he would have been long gone by the time the Cops showed up right ?

Just some objective thinking for ya ....

:cool:
Of course he could have been outside with a friend while he smoked...and someone didn't like it so they call the cops.

Or, he could have standing outside waiting for a friend because it was too hot to sit in his car...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=4751&forum_id=54&highlight=downtown+norfolk

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps officers could add their usernames and favorite forum to their ID badges so we could do a quick search of their real opinions on our web-enabled cell phones when we are asked to have a "little chat".
Most officers are courteous, only the real knuckleheads start off with a bad attitude even if the person they're talking to deserves it. Courteous, however, doesn't mean beans if this is their underlying attitiude.
Maybe their "Constitutional Knowledge Factor" could be color-coded and as the background to their rank.

Oh great, I'm being questioned by a RED.
Hey Officer BLUE, no problem here, lawfully OC'ing.
Officer GREEN! Glad to chat, in fact can I buy you a cup of coffee?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E2DB143DF93AA3575AC0A96F958260

METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores
Maybe their Constitutional Intelligence Quotient could be the primary determinant of rank. Just as there are arguably specialized q for intelligence, emotional, social, sexual, sportif, fitness, tattoos ad nauseam, ther may be a Constitutional q. But then habitues of OCDO deny even IQ.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where the will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA TSA KMA$$

Gunslinger

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E2DB143DF93AA3575AC0A96F958260

METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores
Maybe their Constitutional Intelligence Quotient could be the primary determinant of rank. Just as there are arguably specialized q for intelligence, emotional, social, sexual, sportif, fitness, tattoos ad nauseam, ther may be a Constitutional q. But then habitues of OCDO deny even IQ.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where the will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA TSA KMA$$
That's a good one. Too smart to be a cop, even though otherwise qualified. Just the opposite of quota hiring: too dumb to be a cop, but let's give the poor (fill in the blank with the minority of your choice) a break.

Dustin

imported post

danbus wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Too Much not known to say what's right or wrong.

If the LEO's drew down on him just for carrying than, that's wrong.

But he must have obviously been hanging around doing something dumb. How else would they have saw him, went inside, notified manager, dialed 911, waited for the LEO's to show up, and HE'S STILL IN THE PARKING LOT !?!?!?

If he were just walking through carrying, then he would have been long gone by the time the Cops showed up right ?

Just some objective thinking for ya ....

:cool:
Of course he could have been outside with a friend while he smoked...and someone didn't like it so they call the cops.

Or, he could have standing outside waiting for a friend because it was too hot to sit in his car...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=4751&forum_id=54&highlight=downtown+norfolk

Maybe, but the guy it happen to is the OP Writer remember. He said he was just taking a WALK. Not waiting for a friend, picking up a friend, he wasn't Driving anything, anywhere. He said he was simplytaking a WALK. I find that very hard to believe ;)

Eeyore

imported post

I think "kknudsen" made some good real-world points as well (on the second page?).

And I also agree with many of the posters that "Nathan" comes across as an idiot because he can't communicate effectively (no apparent spelling/grammar/typing skills). We've had some issues with that on this forum, too. If his communication skills aren't any better in person than they are in cyberspace, then he's a poor ambassador for open carry.

Sheriff

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
That's a good one. Too smart to be a cop.....
Little more involved than that. Law enforcement agencies tried the "college graduate" route.

They discovered they were getting way too many people with an education, and very little common sense attached to it.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores...

This does happen BTW. I was a vendor for the WA State Patrol for a couple years. They do indeed decline the smarter applicants. I was told the intent was to try to prevent officers interpreting the law instead of just enforcing it.

Can't have independant thought out there running rampant.

MetalChris

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
I think "kknudsen" made some good real-world points as well (on the second page?).

And I also agree with many of the posters that "Nathan" comes across as an idiot because he can't communicate effectively (no apparent spelling/grammar/typing skills). We've had some issues with that on this forum, too. If his communication skills aren't any better in person than they are in cyberspace, then he's a poor ambassador for open carry.
It appears that Nathan is a fellow OCDO-er...

Clickety

Sheriff

imported post

Jim675 wrote:

This does happen BTW. I was a vendor for the WA State Patrol for a couple years. They do indeed decline the smarter applicants. I was told the intent was to try to prevent officers interpreting the law instead of just enforcing it.

I do not doubt your word whatsoever. I have seen it too. The problem

is you end up with somebody having an IQ of 56 running around out there.

ne1

imported post

How Cops Really Want to Police

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/how-cops-really-want-to-police/

You want to really lower crime?” Carl began. “Let cops enforce the rules. The whole way. You ask any cop on the street and he’ll tell you that he would love to dish out the punishment, on the spot.”

“You want to be the cop and the jury?” I asked, incredulously.

Seems to me they also want to be the legislature, making up the laws as they go....

Harper1227

imported post

GGRHHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!! I don't even know what to say. I kept wanting to hit quote and reply to these ignorant power-drunk LEOs. But apparantly you cannot post a reply if you are not a LEO and as I am not I will just :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:OMG!

<begin rant>

OK! first of all I carry openly to exercise my right to do so and to let people know that I WILL NOT be another victim. NOT because I feel the need to draw attention. Secondly, while exercising my legal right i should NOT have guns drawn on me and I should not 'expect it" as one of these people replied. nor should I"notget upset when a citizen reports a man (woman in my case) with a gun and police show up" YES i will be upset when police show up, because even though this "citizen" - and i use the term lightly, doesn't know the law, the police should. AND further more, just because YOU don't agree with it doesn't give you the right to harrass me. GUESS WHAT!! you don't have a right not to be offended. I have a constitutional right to carry this gun and to protect myself and my family and to your benefit, you gun fearing wussies that are the cause of the OP complaint!!

And to the guy who said " you can complain, but you don't have a case" I believe being detained for no reason is a pretty strong case. This guy was held for 20 minutes and disarmedon nothing! For what would seem to be no other reason than to scare him into not exercising his right.

I don't know the whole story or if the OP was a complete butthead or not, but this whole forum gave me agita. Anyway, there are probably a dozen more comments I could rant about but I think I have thouroughly vented for now.

Sorry so long, couldn't help myself.