• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Laws don't allow but prohibit behavior.
Unless a law has been passed prohibiting/restricting something at which point a law may be enacted to make the original act legal again.

Other than that you are quite correct that only those things specifically stated as improper are illegal - at least for now!
:uhoh:

Yata hey

mzbk2l

imported post

theboyzmom, check out the Michigan forum on this site. I think you'll find all of your questions answered there already. (And if not, there are plenty of people there who can answer any you may have.)

I grew up in Michigan and never knew it was legal, either.

PROUDFOOT

imported post

OSSIYO! ANNII! Hello.

Maybe this is a 'strange question'... This was asked to me and I couldn't give a correct answer. "Can a person legally OC a .177 BB pistol in the state of Michigan?" The person who asked would like to carry his 15 shot semi automatic, 480 fps (MI legal) BB pistol in a holster at his side for 'plinking' and mostly as a 'non-lethal' self-defense deterrent. I first told him that MI is a legal OC state and to get a REAL gun.He DID make a point that few people are going to 'check' to see if the pistol is 'real' or BB and that 15 shots of BB's at 480 fps would probably deter many attackswithout being lethal. I doknow that a .177 BB gun isNOt considered a'firearm' by MI law. Any opinion or legal reference is GREATLY appreciated.

Walk In Peace! {But it's GOOD to carry a Gun... Just in case!} :D

Tom Proudfoot

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

PROUDFOOT wrote:
OSSIYO! ANNII! Hello.

Maybe this is a 'strange question'... This was asked to me and I couldn't give a correct answer. "Can a person legally OC a .177 BB pistol in the state of Michigan?" The person who asked would like to carry his 15 shot semi automatic, 480 fps (MI legal) BB pistol in a holster at his side for 'plinking' and mostly as a 'non-lethal' self-defense deterrent. I first told him that MI is a legal OC state and to get a REAL gun.He DID make a point that few people are going to 'check' to see if the pistol is 'real' or BB and that 15 shots of BB's at 480 fps would probably deter many attackswithout being lethal. I doknow that a .177 BB gun isNOt considered a'firearm' by MI law. Any opinion or legal reference is GREATLY appreciated.

Tom Proudfoot
If the person is 18 or older and can legally posses the BB gun, they can openly carry it. It would have to be unloaded and cased if transported in a vehicle, unless you have a CPL. The BB/pellet handgun mentioned above is considered a pistol in Michigan, so all the rules apply.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PROUDFOOT wrote:
OSSIYO! ANNII! Hello.

Tom Proudfoot
As will the appearance of it probably deter many potential bad guys BUT if TSHTF I personally want more than .177 cal at 480fps - a lot more. I don't want to make a BG mad at me - I want to be able to stop the threat if forced to do so.

IMO - He is betting his life on a BB gun!

Yata hey

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
PROUDFOOT wrote:
OSSIYO! ANNII! Hello.

Tom Proudfoot
As will the appearance of it probably deter many potential bad guys BUT if TSHTF I personally want more than .177 cal at 480fps - a lot more. I don't want to make a BG mad at me - I want to be able to stop the threat if forced to do so.

IMO - He is betting his life on a BB gun!

Yata hey
Agreed!

Orygunner

imported post

Re: Carrying BB gun instead of real gun -

I agreethat if you actually had to draw and fire, a BB gun would have to be the silliest thing ever...

But, if it's ALL you could legally carry, such as inastate whereOC of real guns is prohibited, butBB guns are allowed, why not? There's overwhelming evidence that most defensive gun uses occur without firing a shot, and there's no evidence that OCing will cause criminals to attack you first or anything. The odds are strongly in your favor.

According to Venator, in Michigan there's no difference between a BB and a real gun, so my strong suggestion would be to carry a REAL gun.

...If the crap hits the fan, of course, I'd run. Or learn to shoot for the eyes. :shock:...
...Orygunner...

Alexcabbie

imported post

Carrying something that LOOKS like a firearm but cannot project reliably lethal force if called on is - well, it is a tossup as to if that is dumber than carrying a firearm in the hope that the BG will be scared off by the mere presentation of the piece. But in either case the result will be the same if the BG calls your bluff. He'll take it away and either shoot you with it or stick it up your rear end sideways. If you pull an effin' BB GUN or worse a "Replica" on a BG, well, these animals will smell your mlack of confidence. So if you do, then file off the sights and coat that fake gun with Vaseline

that way it won't hurt so uch going in and the medicos at the hospital will have a much easier time getting it out of your lower tract:lol: