• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Small encounter at IHOP in Bremerton

RiverTMasco

imported post

I found this to be a little funny and kinda mad me mad because it could have turned out worse than it was.

So today me and my wife went to breakfast at IHOP in Bremerton and of course it was another OC day for me. Beautiful day for OC by the way. So we walk in and the waitress who greets us says, "Good morning. Just the two of you today?" I responded with, "yes it is." She then asks, "Your not going to shoot us are you?" My response at this point was, "NO!" (A little shocked that she had said that so loudly)

Thankfully nothing came from it but as I was sitting down the different scenarios were running through my head and none of them were good. lol

I just couldn't believe that she would say that so loud in the middle of a restaurant.

But nonetheless it was another successful OC day! :celebrate

j2l3

imported post

Maybe it was her way of releasing some nerves after seeing your gun. Many people make jokes, even inapproriate ones, when they are nervous. I'm thinking she was nervous because of where you were, but overall, OK with guns. Especially since that was the last that was said by anyone.

Good on you, and good on HER!!

RiverTMasco

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Maybe it was her way of releasing some nerves after seeing your gun. Many people make jokes, even inapproriate ones, when they are nervous. I'm thinking she was nervous because of where you were, but overall, OK with guns. Especially since that was the last that was said by anyone.

Good on you, and good on HER!!

Ya know thats funny that you say that because my wife said the same thing.

I just thought that it was a little blunt in the middle of a restaraunt. And yes clearly they were ok wih guns because I didn't have a manager meet me at my table which I was very glad about.

I guess I would have just approachd it maybe a little differently lol

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RiverTMasco wrote:
I found this to be a little funny and kinda mad me mad because it could have turned out worse than it was.

So today me and my wife went to breakfast at IHOP in Bremerton and of course it was another OC day for me. Beautiful day for OC by the way. So we walk in and the waitress who greets us says, "Good morning. Just the two of you today?" I responded with, "yes it is." She then asks, "Your not going to shoot us are you?" My response at this point was, "NO!" (A little shocked that she had said that so loudly)

Thankfully nothing came from it but as I was sitting down the different scenarios were running through my head and none of them were good. lol

I just couldn't believe that she would say that so loud in the middle of a restaurant.

But nonetheless it was another successful OC day! :celebrate

Her way of putting a little levity on the matter.

Correct response: "It depends on how good the service is!" :)

TechnoWeenie

imported post

reminds me of the guy who wanted to 'see' my pistol, as I'm waiting in line @ Taco Bell. I had to tell him no multiple times, that it stayed in the holster, he finally let up, then asked me if I was sure about 30 seconds later...

The guy was an employee..

:nono:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've had a couple encounters like this. Generally, they're trying be humorous. You'll know from their exact tone when they say it. Just make a fun, pleasant reply and it should work out fine.

I would shy away from replies that couldbe taken as personally threatening. Depending on the locale, I might just chuckle, give a big friendly smile,and ask, "What are you saying? That I look like a crook? Hmmm. Boy, the service is going to have to be pretty good to get any tip after that comment!"

Which reminds me. I'm always a little friendly and playful with the waitstaff when OCing. And I tip anywhere from well to very well. That is to say, I try to make friends.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Friday morning I was at the dentist OC'ing. My dentist is all done and I stand up he finally sees the pistol. In a louder than expected voice he says "I'm glad your visit went well today and I didn't get shot." I smiled and let it go but when I got out to the truck I realized the comment bothered me. I've had plenty of folks make these comments and I usually smile at the time as I don't have a snappy comeback. I think from now on I'll just hand them a pamphlet.

RiverTMasco

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Friday morning I was at the dentist OC'ing. My dentist is all done and I stand up he finally sees the pistol. In a louder than expected voice he says "I'm glad your visit went well today and I didn't get shot." I smiled and let it go but when I got out to the truck I realized the comment bothered me. I've had plenty of folks make these comments and I usually smile at the time as I don't have a snappy comeback. I think from now on I'll just hand them a pamphlet.

lol

Ya its always after the fact that it bothers you and its too late to say anything.

It catches you so off guard that you have no idea what to say.

I got those pamphlets now too I just need to get to kinkos to get them made up.

I am definetly going to start giving those out and I think I am going to go to local businesses in the kitsap area and give it to them as well, maybe it will teach more people that it is ok.