• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 Ammo

FogRider

imported post

Can anyone recomend a good self defence round that will reliably feed in a SA 1911 GI? I really don't want to use FMJ but the Winchester hollowpoints I have for my XD will not feed at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Can anyone recomend a good self defence round that will reliably feed in a SA 1911 GI? I really don't want to use FMJ but the Winchester hollowpoints I have for my XD will not feed at all.
Feeding problems in 1911s are almost never related to ammo. Most frequently failures to feed properly are related to magazine damage/wear/deficiency. Try using a Wilson magazine or my personal favorite Cobra II mags from Tripp.

Other problems can be timing related (might need new springs) or rough feed ramp which a simple polish job should correct.

You did not state whether your 1911 was new or had previous service. If new, I would request warrantee service.

Hope that this helps.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Bran-spanking-new. How would I go about polishing the feed ramp?
Borrow a couple of high quality mags first and see how they work then consider a warrantee request. If you polish the feed ramp, you may invalidate the manufacturers warrantee. Did you talk to the shop that sold it to you? Most reputable dealers are going to stand behind their products.

Yata hey

FogRider

imported post

I got it a Gander Mountain, and I haven't talked to them yet, I joust found the problem tonight. I'll do that tomorrow, see what happens.

ETA:
After looking closer/messing with it a little bit, I think my problem may have been not letting the slide ram home at full strength. I just ran a couple dozen clips through manually, and if I don't hang onto the slide it seems like it functions just fine. In other words, if I operate it properly it works as it should. Tomorrow I'll take it out to the outdoor range where I can fire hollowpoints and see what happens.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

FogRider wrote:
I got it a Gander Mountain, and I haven't talked to them yet, I joust found the problem tonight. I'll do that tomorrow, see what happens.

ETA:
After looking closer/messing with it a little bit, I think my problem may have been not letting the slide ram home at full strength. I just ran a couple dozen clips through manually, and if I don't hang onto the slide it seems like it functions just fine. In other words, if I operate it properly it works as it should. Tomorrow I'll take it out to the outdoor range where I can fire hollowpoints and see what happens.
Hand cycling the slide is not the same as recoil operation. This is why so often the first round does not print with the rest of the group.

Further, if you haven't run 400 or 500 rounds (my standard) through your weapon, it is not broken in yet. Many problems disappear after a proper break-in. Missed in your OP that this had not been done yet.

Good luck with it but if you continue to have problems with it, definitely take it back to Gander Mt. 1911s like to be shot - the more you shoot them, the better they get.

Yata hey

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

You could try Federal EFMJ. Its got the shape roughly of an FMJ but is an expanding projectile. (It may also be legal in NJ, but I'm not sure)

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Wilson mags, and Hornady XTP ammo (regular XTP or TAP-FPD flavors, they both use the XTP bullets). If it won't feed with that combination, enjoy fighting with it on the range, and get yourself a GLOCK.;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

apcci2 wrote:
Wilson Combat or KimPro Mags are the best around. Try them
One equal to or IMHO even better than Wilsons are the Cobra II mags by Tripp.

They have proven of such high quality that Tripp shut down what was the best chrome plating facility to concentrate on making these mags. The original Cobra was good but new designed follower and skirt details plus an invisible weld line make these true wonders.

Yata hey

tarzan1888

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Bran-spanking-new. How would I go about polishing the feed ramp?

I had a SA 1911 A1 GI

I used Winchester JHP as a defensive round.

My first question is how many rounds do you have through it?

I put a thousand or so through mine of FMJ before I shot any JHP's

Why don't you PM me and we can share ideas.

I will tell you what I did right and what I did wrong to get mine so it feeds what I put in it.

Tarzan

thorkyl

imported post

My springfield, when bought new had the same issue. After about 200 rounds it got better but not the way I wanted it.

What I did was to order a "Spare" recoil spring.

I took the spare and placed a few rounds with it, same issue.
tore it down, cut 1/2 turn out of the spring

did that until I got it the way I wanted it.
I also stopped cracking my mags.

All said and done I cut 4 1/2 full turns out of the spring.

Now it loads smoother and I have not cracked a mag in over 400 rounds.

acrimsontide

imported post

On your request for recommendations on personal defense ammo, the two that I have found that I really like are Federal Premium Personal Defense230 grain JHP Hydra Shock,and the Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP. Both of these loads have fed perfectly in my Kimber.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior