• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO members on the local news in the Tri-Cities

Dave The Welder

imported post

http://www.keprtv.com
See the video titled "Shooters Pollute Ayers Road Property"

The story isn't exactly open carry related but I thought that you'd all enjoy it. If nothing else, I have a decent magazine change at the end of the video. We have a problem around the Tri-Cities with shooters going into the hills and littering like mad so the local news agency sent a reporter out and she found me hosting my bi-annual three day defensive shooting event. She interviewed me for about 15 minutes and I talked a lot about how we keep ourselves and others safe. In the video you can even hear the whistle from the range master declaring when the range is hot and when the range is cold. Three OCDO members were there beside me: just_a_car, trainer62, and steelcoreap (who you see shooting behind me). The reporter had never shot a gun before and admitted to being wary of them. By the end, we had her step up to the firing line and fire a 1911!! She had a great time and kept saying how much fun shooting was. She bragged that she was going to go home and tell everybody that she had shot a gun today and loved it.:celebrate All in all, a very positive experience for gun owners everywhere. All in all, she edited a very good news clip of us. I'm going to send her an email thanking her for the great story and offering my help for any firearm related questions that she might come across in the future.

Dave The Welder

imported post

G27 wrote:
You racked the slide back instead of just hitting the release. You're so adorable, Dave. :D
Remember that the slide release on a 1911 is too far forward for most people to hit without either pivoting the pistol slightly in the hand or using the thumb on the non-firing hand. I used to pivot the 1911 to reach the slide release, but lately I've been working on improving my speed on racking the slide so that I don't have to pivot the pistol and then reacquire my grip. It's not like your Glock where all the levers are within reach!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

You guys are such technical gun guys.

Hey - what about forming a litter patrol of open carriers and go clean up the place using open carry liiter patrols, and get in the news again? That litter looked like shotgun refuse to me anyway.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Extended releases are available, or you can weld a tab on it.:celebrate
I generally don't like extended anything on my carry pistol. I keep it simple and I train to use it as effectively as possible.

Dave The Welder

imported post

Mike wrote:
You guys are such technical gun guys.

Hey - what about forming a litter patrol of open carriers and go clean up the place using open carry liiter patrols, and get in the news again? That litter looked like shotgun refuse to me anyway.
We're already discussing that. The only problem is that I don't know the laws surrounding the carrying of trash bags openly. :lol: Wouldn't want to get arrested.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
Remember that the slide release on a 1911 is too far forward for most people to hit without either pivoting the pistol slightly in the hand or using the thumb on the non-firing hand. I used to pivot the 1911 to reach the slide release, but lately I've been working on improving my speed on racking the slide so that I don't have to pivot the pistol and then reacquire my grip. It's not like your Glock where all the levers are within reach!
I just tried on my SA 1911 and I have no probs hitting the slide release with my thumb.:p

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Dave The Welder wrote:
I just tried on my SA 1911 and I have no probs hitting the slide release with my thumb.:p
Well, you're a big guy, Steve.

And ya know what they say about guys with big hands...

They need big gloves. :p

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
That was such an awesome story and I had a blast out there.

...and man was the reporter a cutie!:shock:

She certainly is!

Rudabeh Shahbazi

Rudabeh%20Shahbazi.jpg

And she likes to belly-dance:

"She has alsostudied Middle Eastern and Polynesian dance for 20 years."

Great job getting her to shoot and to do it right!

steelcoreap

imported post

I'm not sure exactly how to get the pictures out there...maybe I'll post some of the better ones online somewhere. Sure was a fun weekend though. Thanks for hosting Dave.