• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman awarded $ 7,000,000 for false arrest

Dustin

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Dustin, her attorney probably gets 30% to 40% right off the top. Then she has to pay taxes on whatever is leftover. So it's not like she really got $7.9 million. After all is said and done, she most likely will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 million.

Ah, Your right. Then that sounds reasonable to me.

mobeewan

imported post

IIRCtaxes are not collectedon awards from law suits and I have no problem with over $7 million. It is part of the punishment to get their attention and the attention of other departments to keep their guys on a leash. Now, $200 million would be excessivein this particular case, but maybe not in another case. It all depends on the particular case and details.

Eeyore

imported post

I don't know anything more about this case than anyone else, but I have a few theories based on reading the info above:

1. The alleged"full nelson" could have been how Jackson dragged the stunned officer from the burning car (arms under victim's armpits).
  2. The "stolen"badge may have come loose during the drag. It could then have been picked up by anybody.
  3. Ditto (but unlikely) for the missing gun.
  4. It sounds like the jury believed Brogan lost track of her gun somewhere/somehow (maybe even before the crash?), and was trying to cover her butt by falsely claiming that Jacksonmust have takenit. Understandably, her colleagues in the PD and prosecutors believed Brogan's story, but then they crossed the line trying to force a confession.
  5. A malicious prosecution finding implies that the jury believed that, at some point, the other police and/or prosecutors became aware that Brogan was lying but continued to squeeze Jackson, hoping to cover for Brogan's loss of hergun and subsequent lies.
Jackson is fortunate that there were several witnesses to corroborate her story. Otherwise, it would have been the cops' word against hers.

I'm sure some of her award will also go to paying the legal expenses she surely incurred during her 10-month imprisonment.

Sheriff

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
Jackson is fortunate that there were several witnesses to corroborate her story. Otherwise, it would have been the cops' word against hers.
There was a day and time when this was true. Those days are going away very fast. More andmore judges realize that just because an officer is wearing a badge and gun doesn't mean the officer is telling the truth. Many judges nationwide have seen audio and video afterofficers have falsely arrested people or put their foot in their mouths and committed perjury.

One of the most recent exampleswas in Fairfax, Virginia. A young lady was arrested for police impersonaion. A police officer claimed a girl said she was the "deputycommissioner of police and fire" during an interview with her.

After becoming upset at the police officer's attitude during the interview, the video very clearly showed where she had told the officer, "I amsecond in charge, deputy director of corrections in Prince George's,Department of Corrections. I work in public safety; you could at leastshow me some professional courtesy." The judge dismissed the police impersonation case immediately. And law enforcement walks out of the courtroom with yet another black eye thanks to audio and video.

MetalChris

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
they crossed the line trying to force a confession.
Wait a sec...isn't that SOP for every investigation? (Well, maybe not every one, but about 85%)

Sheriff

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
they crossed the line trying to force a confession.
Wait a sec...isn't that SOP for every investigation? (Well, maybe not every one, but about 85%)

Yeah, but also an 8th Amendment violation... cruel and unusual punishment.

Suspects are often stuck in interrogation rooms with no food,water, or restrooms for days.

quote: "Once there, officers subjected Rachelle to over fifty hours of coercive and abusive interrogation, without access to a bathroom."

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Yeah, but also an 8th Amendment violation... cruel and unusual punishment.

Suspects are often stuck in interrogation rooms with no food,water, or restrooms for days.

quote: "Once there, officers subjected Rachelle to over fifty hours of coercive and abusive interrogation, without access to a bathroom."
I was captured in Iraq during desert storm and they interrogated me for three days! They would not provide me with any food, would not let me sleep, and I could not remove my clothing to use the bathroom. They tortured me and forced me to sign a confession that I was murdering the people of Iraq. I was lucky to eventually be saved by a small Marine squad.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
jack wrote:
That is the bad thing in most cases the taxpayers foot the bill. In the case of the police beating of Rodney King, officers did have to actually pay some personally.One had his home seized and several did jail time. I would like to see MUCH more of that in extreme cases where it wasn't just a judgment call but a willful abuse of the constitution.

Sounds like the judge in the above case didn't believe the other officer. I find it hard to believe a nurse would attempt to take an officers gun, while rendering assistance at an accident scene. Something is a bit strange about this case.

True....

This is just so bizarre to read. A gun is missing... an officer says the nurse tried to take hers.... I do not know. Too strange!!

The fact remains that the officer's gun was taken... so by whom? Otherwise it was lost before the crash and they faked the whole thing. :uhoh:

I think that the jury probably decided the cops made up the story about the nursebeing involved in takingthe gun after the fact to justify arresting the wrong person, and then subjecting her to a long interrogation that led to what may have been a false confession.

There are quite a few comments on secondcitycop about the incident. A number of them claim the women in question was a nursing student at the time who later flunked out. I would not be surprised to find out that 10 month in jail might cause you to flunk your classes.

As LEOXXX said, CPD has a very poor reputation, some of it well deserved and that almost certainly played a part in the verdict amount. I think there is a very serious frustration a lot of the population feels towards the CPD that they just do not get. The size of the award may reflect that frustration.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I was captured in Iraq during desert storm and they interrogated me for three days! They would not provide me with any food, would not let me sleep, and I could not remove my clothing to use the bathroom. They tortured me and forced me to sign a confession that I was murdering the people of Iraq. I was lucky to eventually be saved by a small Marine squad.

So? What are you saying?

That it's OK for law enforcement agencies to treat suspects like this? :question:

massltca

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
jack wrote:
That is the bad thing in most cases the taxpayers foot the bill. In the case of the police beating of Rodney King, officers did have to actually pay some personally.One had his home seized and several did jail time. I would like to see MUCH more of that in extreme cases where it wasn't just a judgment call but a willful abuse of the constitution.

Sounds like the judge in the above case didn't believe the other officer. I find it hard to believe a nurse would attempt to take an officers gun, while rendering assistance at an accident scene. Something is a bit strange about this case.

True....

This is just so bizarre to read. A gun is missing... an officer says the nurse tried to take hers.... I do not know. Too strange!!

The fact remains that the officer's gun was taken... so by whom? Otherwise it was lost before the crash and they faked the whole thing. :uhoh:
I have to say I find it hard to believe a nurse rendering assistance after an accident would steal an officer's gun. Somebody is lying here, but I tend to believe the jury since they had access to evidence that we don't and found in her favor. It really sucks that the taxpayers have to foot the bill though.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So? What are you saying?

That it's OK for law enforcement agencies to treat suspects like this? :question:

Your though process is clouding what you should be seeing when you read what I wrote.

I will give you a clue... it is not about the police or what is right or wrong.

Please try again... :lol:

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So? What are you saying?

Your though process is clouding what you should be seeing when you read what I wrote.

OK......................

........ are you saying a suspect doesn't have the luxury of a Marine squad that will come along and rescue them from the grips of "cruel and unusual punishment" and "forced confessions?"

MetalChris

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
OK......................

........ are you saying a suspect doesn't have the luxury of a Marine squad that will come along and rescue them from the grips of "cruel and unusual punishment" and "forced confessions?"
Wouldn't that be a sight...a squad of Marines busting into a local PD and rescuing a law-abiding citizen before they are pressed into confessing a crime they didn't commit!

Semper Fi indeed! :celebrate

Sheriff

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
OK......................

Wouldn't that be a sight...a squad of Marines busting into a local PD and rescuing a law-abiding citizen before they are pressed into confessing a crime they didn't commit!

Semper Fi indeed! :celebrate

Probably savetaxpayers and individual cops a lot of money. We had a case in my state recently whereDNA testing conducted in 2000 conclusively excluded a guy as acontributor of the semen found at the crime sceneof a murder and rape. A federal jury in Virginia found that a state police investigator fabricated a rape-murder confession that sent Earl Washington, Jr to death row. They awarded Washington $2 million in his lawsuit against the now deceased Trooper Curtis R Wilmore's estate. The State of Virginia also had to pay Washington $1.9 million.

edit: typo

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

So? What are you saying?

OK......................

I see you are still fixed on your biased views so I will just tell you....

The point is... I can say anything I likeandembellish the story all I want.

Some stuff may be true but other things might not be. But some people will believe EVERYTHING they are told.

I guess some people are just that gullible.

By the way... I lied about having to go to the bathroom in my clothing. But since you were not there you would never know that I lied to you.

:lol:

Oh.. I actually lied about the entire thing... imagine that!!! :p

Sheriff

imported post

OK. People lie. That we agree on. The subject isn't even open for debate.

In this Chicago case...... somebdoy lied. That's for damn sure. It seems the trial judge in the criminal case and the federal jury in the lawsuits felt it wasn't the lady who came to the officer's aid who lied. Sooner or later the gun will turn up somewhere. We might be surprised to find out where, how and who had it all along. :)

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
OK. People lie. That we agree on. The subject isn't even open for debate.

In this Chicago case...... somebdoy lied. That's for damn sure. It seems the trial judge in the criminal case and the federal jury in the lawsuits felt it wasn't the lady who came to the officer's aid who lied. Sooner or later the gun will turn up somewhere. We might be surprised to find out where, how and who had it all along. :)

Agreed.

When I was part of a law suit a while back the guy gave a statement thatmust have been 16 pages or more. Keeping in mind that I was there and witnessed EVERYTHING first hand...I knew what really happened. His story was embellished so much that it was actuallyfunny to read.

He claimed all these things had been done to him that never happened. Guns pointed at him by all andone officer cocking a gun and putting it to his head!! I should tell you that NOBODY even drew their gun!!! So there was no mistake here.

One thing was true about his statement. he was there and so were the police. Most everything else was a complete lie. When you are going for broke and trying to get as much money as you can.... you make things sound worse then it really was.

So all I am saying is "Do not believe EVERYTHING you read!! Especially when it is from the person doing the suing!" :lol:

BTW: We all agreed to go to courtandto not pay him a cent! The case went away.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
BTW: We all agreed to go to courtandto not pay him a cent! The case went away.
Lies above, lies before, lies now. Lie once...

By the way... I lied about having to go to the bathroom in my clothing. But since you were not there you would never know that I lied to you. :lol: Oh.. I actually lied about the entire thing... imagine that!!! :p
and be a liar forever. A man's or Anony Mouse's good word is his only bond.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO KMA$$