• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman awarded $ 7,000,000 for false arrest

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
BTW: We all agreed to go to courtandto not pay him a cent! The case went away.
Lies above, lies before, lies now. Lie once...

By the way... I lied about having to go to the bathroom in my clothing. But since you were not there you would never know that I lied to you. :lol: Oh.. I actually lied about the entire thing... imagine that!!! :p
and be a liar forever. A man's or Anony Mouse's good word is his only bond.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO KMA$$
Are you saying the case did not go away?? :lol:

Doug... seriously.... get over it and get a life. Stop your hate posts on 229!!!

You did not "catch me in a lie" and I was making a point.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"The guilty dog barks loudest." http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/80568

Here's a suggestion; don't ever write "I" (a self-referential statement) because it is in your case just an empty attempt at self-aggrandizement, i.e., trollery.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
"The guilty dog barks loudest." http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/80568

Here's a suggestion; don't ever write "I" (a self-referential statement) because it is in your case just an empty attempt at self-aggrandizement, i.e., trollery.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
As usual Doug.... you make no sense...

Moving along now... obviously NOTHING worth seeing here... :lol:

Sheriff

imported post

Whether a lawsuit goes away or not is not based on TRUTH, it is based on a number ofthings. One of these being whether the plaintiff's attorney is on a hourly fee basis or contingency. A lot of plaintiffs can't afford to keep fighting a city or county for 5 to 7 years in lawsuits. A city or county has unlimited resources because it's actually the taxpayer footing their defense fees. Trust me, I had to do it back in 1997. And a county fought me tooth and nail until late 2002 and early 2003.The countythought they could bankrupt me before I could ever see justice served. After the judge finally set a definite jury trial date, the county was suddenly knocking on mydoor and begging to settle out of court.The next problem is witnesses. If it's the plaintiff's word against 6 or 7 police officers, there is very little reason to even attempt to keep the lawsuit alive and moving along. It's a sad fact in today's judicial system --those who tell the biggest and most consistent lie prevails most of the time. An exception to this rule would be like the New York broom impalement case, a police officer finally turned state's evidence and admitted the crime had taken place by 5 or 6 detectives against a defendent being interrogated. Had this officer not turned state's evidence, the plaintiff would never have stood a snowball's chance in hell of prevailing in the claimsin his lawsuit because the cops were telling the biggest and most consistent lie.

edit: TYPO

Gunslinger

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Dustin, her attorney probably gets 30% to 40% right off the top. Then she has to pay taxes on whatever is leftover. So it's not like she really got $7.9 million. After all is said and done, she most likely will get somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.5 million.
Often, in civil suits, the amount awarded includes a gross up to cover taxes. Not sure if so in this case, but happens quite a bit.

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
The amount is rather excessive in my opinion but if that is what the people want to give her....so be it.They can pay more in taxes to recover it over the next few years.

Because we all know.... in the end it is the people who are paying this bill.

Not true in Federal Court. No immunity for cops and generally multiple respondents, including the cops jointly and severally. Cops can and have gotten hammered with damages for civil rights violations. Good. Get the dirty ones where they belong--in prison or on skid row.

Also many successful lawsuits prohibiting municipalities from seeking to pay damages from any tax increase. 9 out of 10 times they take it out of hide--and often that's the police department's operating funding. As I recall, Oak Park, IL did just that. Cops drove the old cruisers a year longer than planned to pay for some pos violation of civil rights. Multimillion dollar award.

Gunslinger

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I was captured in Iraq during desert storm and they interrogated me for three days! They would not provide me with any food, would not let me sleep, and I could not remove my clothing to use the bathroom. They tortured me and forced me to sign a confession that I was murdering the people of Iraq. I was lucky to eventually be saved by a small Marine squad.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12151&forum_id=57&jump_to=196201#p196201
I don't understand the link. What's the point?

Sheriff

imported post

Departments also don't have to pay punitive damages. They can if they want to, but they don't have to.

It's not punitive if it doesn't have to come out of the officer's own wallet.

Gunslinger

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I was captured in Iraq during desert storm and they interrogated me for three days! They would not provide me with any food, would not let me sleep, and I could not remove my clothing to use the bathroom. They tortured me and forced me to sign a confession that I was murdering the people of Iraq. I was lucky to eventually be saved by a small Marine squad.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12151&forum_id=57&jump_to=196201#p196201
I figured it out. LEO's attempt at "making a point" is tasteless to those of us who had friends that really were POWs and for a hell of a lot longer than 3 days.

Gunslinger

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Departments also don't have to pay punitive damages. They can if they want to, but they don't have to.

It's not punitive if it doesn't have to come out of the officer's own wallet.
If some a-hole cops costs his department big bucks, his career has taken a turn for the worse, I would venture to say. That's why joint respondents are so nice--get the big bucks from the town, but take the cop's house and car. No other force is going to hire the prick who cost his department beaucoup bucks.

Sheriff

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
If some a-hole cops costs his department big bucks, his career has taken a turn for the worse, I would venture to say.
You would be surprised. We have a local cop who was suedjust about every week. The department even took him off the street and made him a school resource officer. He couldn't even do this right, the parents were ready to lynch him from the nearest tree. So then the department promoted him to an in-house gopher to keep him out of trouble. All he had to do was fix the coffee for everybody and fetch it to them. He was never fired because his father-in-law donated too much money to the department's Police Association every year. Hell of a reason to keep a liability around, isn't it?

LEO 229

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
As is the case most of the time when he is off his meds... you get bazaar posts like this.

It means something to him and he gets all warm and fuzzy knowing he posted something.

He is a cyber stalker and oftensearches formy posts. No matter what forum I was in he will go there andthen posts something immediately afterward.
26.gif

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
As is the case most of the time when he is off his meds... you get bazaar posts like this.

It means something to him and he gets all warm and fuzzy knowing he posted something.

He is a cyber stalker and oftensearches formy posts. No matter what forum I was in he will go there andthen posts something immediately afterward.
26.gif
I see you guys have a running feud. No horse in that race, but your comment on being a POW was tasteless. While I disagree with you from time to time on opinion, I expected better from you in this regard.

LEO 229

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I see you guys have a running feud. No horse in that race, but your comment on being a POW was tasteless. While I disagree with you from time to time on opinion, I expected better from you in this regard.

Your opinion...

Sometimes making a pointcanobviously be a littlesensitive to some. But the desired pointhas beenmade.

If you are overly sensitive that is too bad.Several members here post and bash cops here daily. Not just some.. they label ALL cops and I find this offensive and in poor taste. But... Ido not let it bother me and I get over it.

I am confident that someday you will get over this and live a productive life. :lol:

Now.. getting back on topic.....

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Your opinion...

Sometimes making a pointcanobviously be a littlesensitive to some. But the desired pointhas beenmade.

If you are overly sensitive that is too bad.Several members here post and bash cops here daily. Not just some.. they label ALL cops and I find this offensive and in poor taste. But... Ido not let it bother me and I get over it.

I am confident that someday you will get over this and live a productive life. :lol:

Now.. getting back on topic.....
No point has been made other than you apparently think the men who suffered the hell of being a POW can serve as a foil for your "wit." 99% of cops never hear the sound of a bullet except at the range. 100% don't have the real possibility of being captured and tortured by an enemy--maybe for years. And the vast majority have never served their country in combat. Unless you have, use metaphors that you're familiar with--like the pain of knocking over your coffee cup in the squad car while waiting for someone to make a rolling stop out at a crossroads in the sticks. Or getting blueberry instead of raspberry in your jelly doughnut.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Several members here post and bash cops here daily.
It's pretty hard to have an Open Carry forum without the mention of stupid cops and the stupid things these stupid cops do. It's not cop bashing. It's a fact of life. I don't see airline pilots being mentioned (or bashed as you call it) because airline pilots do not have any enforcement interaction with persons who choose to open carry in public. I also don't see school teachersbeing mentioned (or bashed as you call it) becauseschool teachersdo not have any enforcement interaction with persons who choose to open carry in public. I don't seeregistered nursesbeing mentioned as well (or bashed as you call it), becauseregistered nursesdo not have any enforcement interaction with persons who choose to open carry in public. I could go on with 3,486 other professions, but I hope youcan understandwhy cops are mentioned so often.

In the paragraph above, stupid cops = stupid cops. It does not mean ALL cops.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
No point has been made other than you apparently think the men who suffered the hell of being a POW can serve as a foil for your "wit." 99% of cops never hear the sound of a bullet except at the range. 100% don't have the real possibility of being captured and tortured by an enemy--maybe for years. And the vast majority have never served their country in combat. Unless you have, use metaphors that you're familiar with--like the pain of knocking over your coffee cup in the squad car while waiting for someone to make a rolling stop out at a crossroads in the sticks. Or getting blueberry instead of raspberry in your jelly doughnut.
Great on point -- but this thread's gonna get locked, 666 is losing.

LEO 229

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Now you are just being a moron with your coffee and jelly donut comments.

I served 14 years in the military and I also served in Iraq. So save me the injured and captured vet speech. I was there and had scud missiles blow up around me, gas alarms go off and hadfriends get injured.

You are trying to make more of this than it needs to be. So get over it and move on. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Great on point -- but this thread's gonna get locked, 666 is losing.
And on that note.... this thread is CLOSED for being off topic!! :lol:

Just kidding!! But let's get back on topic please...