• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with you a print out of the law...?

brockgl

imported post

I like the idea of having a printed copy of the law concerning OC in Indiana in my wallet just in case someone hassles you because they do not understand the law. Does anyone practice this? And if so, could you post the wording you keep printed so that others of us can print it and use it?

Thanks a lot!
BG

brockgl

imported post

I know there are no laws that mention Open Carry, but i wasn't sure if anyone had cards exlaining the "license to carry handgun" IS permission to open carry since it is not prohibitted. If it was a dumb question, and no one does this in Indiana, then I understand, and no worries...

aikidoka

imported post

Your license to carry doesn't specify how to carry and you have that with you. If you want to have more, perhaps an email to the state police asking about OC and a print of their reply would help?

I suppose a stubborn, uniformed local police officer might need to see info on state preemption as well.

tattedupboy

imported post

For purposes of clarity, carrying a copy of Indiana's statutes isn't all that helpful regarding how handguns may be carried. All the law says is that the only way handguns can be carried (does not specify whether it is concealed or openly) is if the person carrying has a valid license. That is all. Thus, showing a copy of the statute to a person or LEO who is anti OC probably would not do much to convince them of the legality of it. Sure, it is not illegal unless there is some law specifically prohibiting it, but in their minds, it is the opposite; that means if you can't show them something specific showing that it is legal, then you're not going to convince them.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

brockgl wrote:
I like the idea of having a printed copy of the law concerning OC in Indiana in my wallet just in case someone hassles you because they do not understand the law. Does anyone practice this? And if so, could you post the wording you keep printed so that others of us can print it and use it?

Thanks a lot!
BG
This may help. This is for non-residents but it does say you can carry either way.

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Indiana honors all other states handgun license while visiting or passing through our state. Our law does not state that your weapon has to be concealed or unconcealed. Being concealeddoes not draw attention to you or make people feel uneasy. You may check this web site for more information. http://www.in.gov/isp and go under firearms to see what it has. Also, this web site: http://www.ai.org/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Sandy Stark,

Indiana State Police Firearms Section Indiana Government Center North 100 N Senate Ave Indianapolis, IN 46204 317-232-8264

emclean

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
2nd Amendment...........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X
or even article 1 section 32 of the Indiana state Constitution

"Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

emclean wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
2nd Amendment...........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X
or even article 1 section 32 of the Indiana state Constitution

"Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

My sentiments, as well (smile)!!

2nd Amendment..........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

brockgl wrote:

Thanks a lot!
BG

My suggestion is more along these lines:

http://tinyurl.com/69kmvk

Once an officer begins to be confrontational over the issue, you should no longer see the interaction as an opportunity to educate and inform. Instead, you should see it as an opportunity to exercise your 5th Amendment right, and STFU.