• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Shooting Match June 28 & 29, 2008

varminter22

imported post

These matches are a LOT of fun. More info here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/Centerfire.php

This link goes straight to the flier: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Docs/Matches/SteelFlyer%20Jun28_29_2008.doc

You don't have to be a seasoned match shooter. The primary requirement is safe gun handling skills.

There is a class for everyone; "C" Class (not so great shooters), "B", "A", and Master Class (really good shooters!)

Competitive? Sure. But you won't meet a nicer, more friendly bunch of people!

Each day is a separate match; no need to attend both days - unless you just want to!

See flier for more details. You MUST have a "stong side" holster that covers the trigger - NO shoulder or crossdraw holsters, and of course eye & ear protection.

Any autoloading pistol or double action revolver that fires centerfire ammunition; .45 ACP, .44 Spec, .38 Spec, etc. are popularBUT NOMAGNUM LOADSas they damage the steel plates. Spare magazines (autos) or speedloaders (revolvers) are virtually mandatory for quick reloading. And, of course, bring plenty of ammunition!

varminter22

imported post

Yep, lots of fun!

Shooter vs shooter - Each shooter has an array of targets and a "stopper" target. Shoot until you or your opponent knocks over all targets and the guy that gets the stopper first wins. The "stopper" is two targets that overlap as they fall - the target on the bottom is the winner.

I too wish we could have a weekday match. But, unfortunately, not feasible now.

Loneviking

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Yep, lots of fun!

Shooter vs shooter - Each shooter has an array of targets and a "stopper" target. Shoot until you or your opponent knocks over all targets and the guy that gets the stopper first wins. The "stopper" is two targets that overlap as they fall - the target on the bottom is the winner.

I too wish we could have a weekday match. But, unfortunately, not feasible now.
Hmm, so it's speed AND accuracy? I take it most folks shooting with revolvers are using DA ? And how many targets are there? I may have to schedule a day off as this looks like too much fun to keep missing!

varminter22

imported post

Yep, speed/accuracy. To win, you have to be the first to finish.

Number of targets varies a little. Usually seven to nine steel plates. Usually one day is "revolver friendly" with a six round limit or a mandatory reload; the other day is "load 'em up" day with unlimited magazine capacity. And you can reload as many times as it takes.

Bowling pin matches are the same except shot at 25 feet. And full magnum loads are allowed on the pins. First shooter who's last pin hits the ground first, wins.

Round robin tournament format. You keep shooting until you lose a predetermined number of matches. The numbers of "outs" depends on how many people attend. Never less than three. Sometimes you're allowed four or even five if attendence is low (which is seldom.)

Check out our photo gallery www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=coppermine LOTS of pics there.

It is good fun. And the people are the best!

varminter22

imported post

This match is approaching fast - this weekend.

Many times I hear someone say, "I like to shoot, but I'm not good enough to compete."

Well, don't let that stop you. This is the reason we have classes of shooters - Master, A, B, & C.

If it takes you three or four reloads to hit seven or eight targets, you probably belong in C class.

If you quickly hit all the targets in eight or nine shots, you probably belong in Master class.

Is it competitive? Sure! But probably the most friendly competition you'll ever find! And remember, we're shooting for inexpensive awards - NOT Cadillacs!

The ONLY real shooter requirement is you must handle your handgun(s) safely.

Come on out and enjoy!

More info in our "Downloads" section: www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

And a match flyer here: www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/Centerfire.php

Loneviking

imported post

One more quick question--is there a restriction on types of holsters used? I ask as I've heard that some types of competition shooting events won't allow use of crossdraw or shoulder holsters.

varminter22

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
One more quick question--is there a restriction on types of holsters used? I ask as I've heard that some types of competition shooting events won't allow use of crossdraw or shoulder holsters.
Yes, we do have a restriction. NO crossdraw NOR shoulder holsters.

Must be a "strong side" holster that covers the trigger.

But you can have as many spare magazines or speedloaders (or even loose ammo) as you can carry on your person!

Once the command to load has been issued, anything you drop on the ground must stay on the ground until the match is over and "Clear" has sounded.

varminter22

imported post

Practice always helps! I need more too!

Gunfighter rig should be okay - am not sure exactly what type you're referring to. But they do want the trigger covered.

NOT for single action revolvers though. Only DA revolvers and autoloaders.

Loneviking

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Practice always helps! I need more too!

Gunfighter rig should be okay - am not sure exactly what type you're referring to. But they do want the trigger covered.

NOT for single action revolvers though. Only DA revolvers and autoloaders.

This is getting more and more complicated. :uhoh:

I'm going to have to get a day off and come see a match to see what equipment you folks use!

varminter22

imported post

Naw, not very complicated at all.

You'll see guys using their daily carry gear. And you'll see some (mostly in Master and A class) using competition gear.

You do need a strong side holster that covers the trigger. And one or two (or more) spare magazines (for autoloader shooters) or speedloaders (for revolver shooters); Loading one loose round at a time is allowed of course, but it is simply slow.

Check out the match flyer. Pretty much self explanatory.

Right before the match, we'll conduct a safety brief. After the brief, any new shooters will be shown the procedure. It is pretty easy. More info in our website "downloads." And pictures of past matches in the photo gallery.

varminter22

imported post

We had a great weekend! Match results press release here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=50&mode=&order=0&thold=0

9757rk6.jpg

And more pics in the photo gallery here: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=coppermine