• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO Encounter

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I went out today to do some shopping in Springfield. Our 9 year old and 5 year old accompanied me. OC'd the entire time.

On the way back we stopped at a small ice cream joint called Kone Korner. It's located in Clark County a couple miles north of the mall. As I pulled in I noticed an LEO (probably a sheriff's deputy) walking around the parking lot. He was on his radio. He also appeared to be looking for someone. He didn't seem to be paying any attention to me.

As we walked inside the restaurant I looked around and didn't see the deputy anywhere, so I figured he had left. (I never did see his vehicle. Perhaps it was parked on the other side of the building?) We ordered some ice cream and sat in a booth inside the restaurant. There were about a dozen or so other customers inside. About five minutes later the deputy I had seen earlier walked inside. He appeared somewhat agitated and seemed to be looking for someone. One of the customers then said to him, "Excuse me, officer, are you looking for a guy with a gun?" I couldn't hear what the deputy said in response, but the next thing you know the customer was pointing a finger at me. :shock:

The deputy quickly turned to me and his eyes darted toward my gun. I thought to myself, "Uh oh, I wonder how this is going to turn out." :( He then said (from 15 feet away), "Do you have a CCW?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you have it on you?" I said, "Yes. But as you can see I am open carrying. I don't need a CCW license to open carry."

He then stares at me for about five seconds. I don't think he knew what to do. He seemed genuinely confused over the whole situation. I believe my presence was an unwanted distraction to his immediate task of tracking down a bad guy. I sort of felt sorry for him, to be honest.

The customer pointed a finger at me said to the deputy, "I wasn't sure if that guy was carrying a pistol or taser, and then it occurred to me that he might be the one you were looking for." The deputy glanced at me, looked at the customer, and then said in a disappointing tone, "Yea, that's a pistol he's wearing."

I believe the deputy all-of-the-sudden realized he was still looking for a bad guy. He then quickly exited the restaurant.

For the next five of minutes, a couple customers (including the guy that pointed me out to the deputy) asked me about the legalities of open carry, and I explained the law to them.

reefteach

imported post

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad a few people got an education about their rights, and that the LEO didn't give you a hard time. Well done.