• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry at metropark? stony creek/metro beach.

jershell99

imported post

Venator wrote:
jershell99 wrote:
Venator wrote:
There is a AG opinion on metro parks. Since they are public property then OC or CC with a CPL is allowed. Preemtion applies.

So is that: OC is allowed and CC with CPL is allowed, or OC and CC with a permit is allowed? Just wanting to clear up the semantics of your sentence structure. As written, it implies that they are both allowed with CPL only. I am not being critical, just want to make it as clear as possible. Thanks.
Since preemption exists and a park is not a firearm free zone, then Open carry is allowed. Concealed carry is allowed with a CPL. Is that better? I tend to take short cuts on forums. Sorry. I shouldn't have to specify on the open carry part since a CPL holder can CC or OC at their discretion.
Thanks for the clarification. The only reason I ask is that I regularly frequent Metro Beach and there is a large "NO FIREARMS" sign right by the gate.
Should we pursue getting these signs removed as they are a violation of state law?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jershell99 wrote:
Venator wrote:
jershell99 wrote:
Venator wrote:
There is a AG opinion on metro parks. Since they are public property then OC or CC with a CPL is allowed. Preemption applies.

So is that: OC is allowed and CC with CPL is allowed, or OC and CC with a permit is allowed? Just wanting to clear up the semantics of your sentence structure. As written, it implies that they are both allowed with CPL only. I am not being critical, just want to make it as clear as possible. Thanks.
Since preemption exists and a park is not a firearm free zone, then Open carry is allowed. Concealed carry is allowed with a CPL. Is that better? I tend to take short cuts on forums. Sorry. I shouldn't have to specify on the open carry part since a CPL holder can CC or OC at their discretion.
Thanks for the clarification. The only reason I ask is that I regularly frequent Metro Beach and there is a large "NO FIREARMS" sign right by the gate.
Should we pursue getting these signs removed as they are a violation of state law?
Preemption covers both OC and CC. Sure, write a letter and ask them to remove them and be sure to include the preemption law. If you need help ask.

The signs appear to be illegal and should be removed.

taxwhat

imported post

Venator wrote:
jershell99 wrote:
Venator wrote:
There is a AG opinion on metro parks. Since they are public property then OC or CC with a CPL is allowed. Preemtion applies.

The Detroit Zoo tried same thing > Last I heard OK to CC or OC .

taxwhat

imported post

No One Here but SW and Me wrote:
This all sound good CC is allowed based on the wording, but who is best to call on this to absolutely confirm. I bet you call the Stony Creek Metro office and of course the clerk says no guns.
Wrong ? How much you wish to lose ? Hang with some PSO [rangers] .Sorry Hi and Wecome .

SpringerXDacp

imported post

No One Here but SW and Me wrote:
This all sound good CC is allowed based on the wording, but who is best to call on this to absolutely confirm. I bet you call the Stoney Creek Metro office and of course the clerk says no guns.

Welcome to OCDO NoOneHere,

Warlock has already done the homework on this;

5. FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS- No person shall possess or control any rifle, shotgun or other firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, fireworks, explosives, or other dangerous substances within the boundaries of any park, without written permission of the Authority; provided, that this rule shall not apply to any law enforcement officer who has been duly appointed by the government of the United States, the State of Michigan or any county, municipality other political subdivision of the State of Michigan; and provided, further that this section shall not prohibit a person from legally carrying firearms in accordance with state law, including transporting an unloaded shotgun in a case within the boundaries of Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark for the purpose of using Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark as access to a permitted hunting area.

[line]

"...further that this section shall not prohibit a person from legally carrying firearms in accordance with state law,...."

Meaning: If you have a CPL you may CC or OC. If you do not have a CPL you must OC.

ETA: There's no reason to call anyone-just carry on. :)