• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey

ChefW

imported post

Hello all. I am an Ohioan from Lorain County and I am just moving back to the state from Delaware. I open carried alot in Delaware so I am familiar with there but I have a few questions about our beautiful state. Here they are.

-As the law states, you must have a permit to conceal to OC in a car. Would you just unload with the slide locked to the rear and lock in the trunk? What would be the lawful thing to do in this situation.

-Where is OC not permitted by law?

-Is there a duty to inform in the state of Ohio?

-Are there any restrictions on ammunition that may be carried?

-I believe that the state of Ohio has preemption. Is this correct?

Also any ins and outs of OC in the state of Ohio would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your advice and tips. Also, anyone in the greater cleveland area wants to go OC'ing, let me know.

Attachments

• member840.png
    member840.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 227

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I'm not an attorney, so don’t take my word as gospel.

As the law states, you must have a permit to conceal to OC in a car. Would you just unload with the slide locked to the rear and lock in the trunk? What would be the lawful thing to do in this situation.

Short version: If you do not have a CHL, make sure the gun is unloaded and the slide is locked back. Also, make sure the magazines are unloaded. The unloaded gun can be in plain sight or in a gun case.

In reality, it's a bit more complicated than this. Hopefully someone will come along and provide the actual language in the ORC.

Where is OC not permitted by law?

- Inside government buildings.
- On school grounds.
- Any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premise.
- Anyplace that forbids CC. (You'll see a sign on the door.) I'm not sure if there is an actual law that says this, but it seems pretty obvious that if a private business forbids CC, they probably don't want you OC'ing, either.
- Inside a church (unless you have permission from the pastor).

Is there a duty to inform in the state of Ohio?

Yes, if you're:

- CC'ing (anywhere, including a vehicle).
- OC'ing in a vehicle.

Are there any restrictions on ammunition that may be carried?

I don't think so.

I believe that the state of Ohio has preemption. Is this correct?

Yes, but a small city recently took it to the Ohio Supreme Court, so be careful at this time. Not sure when there will be a ruling.

ChefW

imported post

Thank you for the information. I will go out today while OC and will post about it. I'm not sure if anyone has tested the OC waters here in lorain county.

Attachments

• member840.png
    member840.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 219

Legba

imported post

ChefW wrote:
Hello all. I am an Ohioan from Lorain County and I am just moving back to the state from Delaware. I open carried alot in Delaware so I am familiar with there but I have a few questions about our beautiful state. Here they are.

-As the law states, you must have a permit to conceal to OC in a car. Would you just unload with the slide locked to the rear and lock in the trunk? What would be the lawful thing to do in this situation.

-Where is OC not permitted by law?

-Is there a duty to inform in the state of Ohio?

-Are there any restrictions on ammunition that may be carried?

-I believe that the state of Ohio has preemption. Is this correct?

Also any ins and outs of OC in the state of Ohio would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your advice and tips. Also, anyone in the greater cleveland area wants to go OC'ing, let me know.

You can transport an unloaded gun with the action open in plain view if you like, or in a case. Just keep the ammo separate (one or the other in the trunk is fine). Beware the "ready at hand" rule until the new law goes into effect.

OC is not permitted by law in any place where CC is prohibited (government buildings, bars, schools, courthouses, and any private property with signage saying 'no guns'). That's not necessarily an exhaustive list, but you get the general idea.

There is no duty to inform anyone that you are in possession of a weapon unless you are a permit holder and are being stopped by the police. Presumably if you are OCing, they will notice this without being told. People with Ohio-issued permits who are subject to traffic stops will have this information show up when the car registration is run. You still have to tell them though.

There are no restrictions on carrying ammo. There may be limits on buying armor-piercing (typically steel-core) ammo, and on what ammo you can hunt game with.

We do have preemption, so don't let someone tell you they do things differently in their town.

-ljp