• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs Gazzette Editorial comes out in support of the open carry movement!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.gazette.com/opinion/educate_37356___article.html/firearms_business.html

Our View - Monday

June 16, 2008 - 1:01AM

THE GAZETTE

TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS
Carrying firearms a chance to educate public

Have you ever watched a Western movie and noticed the cowboy who looked out of place, but you couldn't figure out why? At some point in the movie it is pointed out that ol' Slim doesn't pack iron because he killed/nearly killed an innocent man/woman/child years ago and he swore he'd never touch another gun. How Slim deals with his demons is his own business; the point is that he stand out because he's not wearing a six-shooter.

These days the tables have turned and now most people are not seen with a handgun perched on their hip. When one sees someone carrying a gun, one usually assumes the armed person is either an off-duty police officer or someone up to no good. Most likely both assumptions are wrong.

There is a growing cadre of law-abiding gun owners who use their everyday interactions with others to educate them about firearms and our rights. According to a Los Angeles Times story, most states allow people who aren't barred from owning or carrying firearms to carry them openly. That is the way things should work in a free society; what isn't specifically forbidden is allowed. And government must have a good reason to forbid something.

Open carry is legal in Colorado, except where specifically banned. Locally, open carry was the subject du jour in 2003 when a man began carrying a shotgun with him as he went about his business. When his business included attending City Council meetings, council members took notice and banned open-carry in city-owned buildings. El Paso County has a similar law. Other than government buildings, including public schools and post offices, carrying firearms openly is legal most places in the Pikes Peak region.

Property owners have the right to forbid customers to carry on their property. We'd urge them to err on the side of freedom. When people see firearms owners as the friendly guy ahead of them in line at the grocery store or the woman sharing a joke with them at the coffee shop, they're likely to have a good opinion of firearms owners. Too often, the only thing non-owners hear about firearms is in connection to criminal activity. That unfairly casts legitimate owners in a bad light.

It's not just men packing iron these days, either. More women than ever before are attending firearms safety classes and carrying guns, openly or concealed. They know that firearms can be a safety factor for someone who knows how to use them. A 250-pound thug will think twice when he discovers his 130-pound intended victim is not inclined to do his bidding and has the ability to protect herself and her rights.

Firearms dealers and shooting clubs are presenting classes specifically aimed at educating women about firearms. Manufacturers are responding to this new market by rolling out firearms designed for women's smaller hands.

Open carry is not without its problems, though. Many police officers might not be aware of the legality of the practice and are apt to err on the side of caution when they come in contact with an armed citizen. Other people can feel uncomfortable in the presence of a firearm and might complain to management or call the police. Those who carry openly must be ready to explain their rights and let others know they don't present a threat.

It can be a dangerous world, and the recent budget cuts show there won't always be a police officer or sheriff's deputy around to protect everyone. Even if government had enough money to put an officer on every block, he could be at the other end of the block when some bad actor demands your wallet or kicks in your front door. Ultimately, each person is responsible for his or her own safety. And if gun owners can educate the public on positive aspects of firearms, everyone is better off.

SANDCREEK

imported post

You gotta LOVE the Colorado Springs " Gazette " publishers. They are Libertarian by the way - in case you hadn't picked-up on that fact. Reading the tea leaves ( " Heller v DC" decision is due any day) The "Gazette" has cleared a path locally by printing this educational message. The 4th of July is just ahead . It's time we started excercising the right - and showing the face of responsible, peaceful, armed citizenry...... Load up them wagons and head for Colorado Springs, "Pilgrims". With the downturn in the real estate market some very nice properties are on the market at 60 percent their long-term value in the Springs area. Clean, COOL air , pure Rocky Mountain springs water, and an attitude of the less government - the better ! The " Gazette" is under seige by a small but militant "left-wing" element, but I don't expect them cave-in to them. They pressured to have more representation on the editorial board - and they succeeded - but the Publisher and Editors have a firm hand on the rein. The paper's staff may let the "lefties" "pet" the horse but they won't let em "ride" it off into the sunset.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Mike wrote:
This is great - public pressure on the courts and legislature to do somthing about the Denver open carry ban in contravention to state law.

I agree. I sucks to travel thru Denver due this sad fact.

TJ

Gunslinger

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
I can't believe such a view was actually published by the staff of our local paper... but I'm very happy to see it!
They have consistently published the strongest, pro 2A articles I've read outside of "American Rifleman." With the possible exception of the Manchester, NH Union Leader, the most conservativemid to large circulation newspaper I've ever subscribed to.