Thread: Public Entities

Post imported post

Does anyone know the law for carry on county or city property?

I work for a county, but at the Airport. Can I even carry at the Airport?

Post imported post

Welcome to the forums amber380!

You're question is rather vague. If you're talking about Denver County and DIA, then OC is strictly a no-no. Concealed carry in Denver carry is fine with a valid carry permit and ID. CC in DIA is technically legal (with the aforementioned credentials), but only in NON secure zones. If you try to go thru a security checkpoint or a marked secure zone while CCing, your posterior will learn a "whole" new meaning of infringement!

Counties in Colorado cannot ban or forbid CC with credentials due to state preemption. The only places that you cannot CC legally in are public schools, govt buildings with stationary screening devices/equipment, etc, etc. There are plenty of resources on OpenCarry.orgs homepage, and in the Colorado forums.
    Here's a couple extra links to heighten the learning curve in CO:
    Open Carry of course: www.opencarry.org
    Rocky Mountain Gun Owners www.rmgo.org
    CBI website as per CC/OC laws: http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp
    Concealed Carry info: www.carryconcealed.net

IANAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So do you're research, be safe, carry proud.

Post imported post

Thank you for the reply...

I actually work at the Aspe/Pitkin County Airport in Aspen.

So, since the airport is owned by the county and the county is technically a government (or is it??) then with my CC permit can I carry here at work? And if I go to the "main" office....can I carry in there?

Post imported post

ewwwwwww tough one. Thanks for clarifying the location. As far as I know, all airports are subject to FAA rules and regs which includes regional and county locations. Since the FAA is involved, you know that the TSA is there as well. That means it needs to be treated as any large intl airport. Same rules apply.
    Make sure you look for ANY signage that forbids firearms!!!!!! Also, you may want to check your employee handbook for any policies about firearms.
    Do your research, play by the rules, and stay outta jail!!!

Post imported post

Thanks Ernie,

Well, I did find some stuff out. Apparently you can carry a gun on this Airport property, whether it is to pick up a loved one or to get on a plane and declare it.

BUT, I can not however because I am an employee of the county and they do have a policy in the employee handbook called the "A Weapon-Free Workplace" policy. Which states : the county prohibits the possession and use of weapons on county property. BUT, the next paragraph goes on differently about employees that have CC permits.

"Concealed weapons for which the individual has a permit must be UNLOADED or properly disarmed so as to render them undischarged or unusable while on County property"

I don't know about you, but I don't ever carry and unloaded gun. Thats how people get killed.

Post imported post

WTF is the point of an unloaded "disarmed" gun?!?!?!?!?!? Do what Uncle Ted says "use foul language and a bag of quarters"...
    Look at it this way, you could go buy a Hi Point .45. Unloaded it makes a GREAT blunt trauma applicator!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

LMAO.....

It just goes to show you how DUMB government can be. I read that and just about died laughing.

You are exactly right, wtf IS the point of a unloaded gun???

Expensive paperweight???

Post imported post

amber380 wrote:
    Thanks Ernie,

Well, I did find some stuff out. Apparently you can carry a gun on this Airport property, whether it is to pick up a loved one or to get on a plane and declare it.

BUT, I can not however because I am an employee of the county and they do have a policy in the employee handbook called the "A Weapon-Free Workplace" policy. Which states : the county prohibits the possession and use of weapons on county property. BUT, the next paragraph goes on differently about employees that have CC permits.

"Concealed weapons for which the individual has a permit must be UNLOADED or properly disarmed so as to render them undischarged or unusable while on County property"

I don't know about you, but I don't ever carry and unloaded gun. Thats how people get killed.

It only applies to employees; they cannot stop others from carrying due to CO preemption laws. The county can go f%$^ themselves if they try.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V