Thread: Some chance I may be moving to Anchorage

State Researcher

Post imported post

Long long story why, but there is mebbe a 1 in 10 chance, more if I really push it.

I see that the anchorage transit system says "no firearms except for law enforcement"

Here in Washington it is specifically legal to carry guns on the bus. Does Alasaka lack a similar law, or is this just posturing with no force of law behind it? (Some agencies do that here as well, but it is not legal)

Beyond that if I do head up to Alaska, I'll start making myself annoying with questions here.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post imported post

I think it's more of the transit system's policy rather than a law. If you conceal it, nobody will know, but if you open carry, it's likely you'll be kicked off the bus. I never ride the bus anyway, because it takes 2-4 hours to get anywhere in Anchorage.

State Researcher

Post imported post

spyderdude wrote:
    I think it's more of the transit system's policy rather than a law. If you conceal it, nobody will know, but if you open carry, it's likely you'll be kicked off the bus. I never ride the bus anyway, because it takes 2-4 hours to get anywhere in Anchorage.
    Well I don't have a driver's license, and am not inclined to get one at the moment...
    Thanks for the info. Some transit systems here in Washington have similar policies, all of which are voided due to state preemption and law, but they still try and do it anway...

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Long long story why, but there is mebbe a 1 in 10 chance, more if I really push it.

I see that the anchorage transit system says "no firearms except for law enforcement"

Here in Washington it is specifically legal to carry guns on the bus. Does Alasaka lack a similar law, or is this just posturing with no force of law behind it? (Some agencies do that here as well, but it is not legal)

Beyond that if I do head up to Alaska, I'll start making myself annoying with questions here.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Another thread on the Alaska page lists virtually every gun law on the books and I see nothing pertaining to transit carry. I would guess that Spyderdude is right in that you would get kicked off but there is no law specific against carrying and we do have full municipal preemption in Alaska.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Thanks for the info guys!

State Researcher

Post imported post

People movers transit system is run by the muni. will have to look into how that relates to firearm laws. since the muni is only allowed to restrict when a firearm can legaly be discharged, the laws that restrict where we can carry are on a state level.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Thanks guys for your input, but it looks like I'll be in Oly for the near future.

BUT, I FINALLY got my purchase contract for 5 acres on Iksgiza Lake (10 months later...)