• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IN DNR claims need LTCH to go shoot

Unoid

imported post

My best friend who visits Willow slough DNR outdoor range, said to me that some of the DNR officers (range guys) claimed that you have to have a LTCH now just to go to the range and shoot.

I've never heard of such a law, code, rule. I checked the indiana codes again and I see no new legislation that would prohibit gun transfer/use at a range.

Can anyone confirm or deny this claim and provide source so we can set these range officers straight?

aikidoka

imported post

I was at Kingsbury a couple weeks ago and didnt run into that. We had several pistols along with the rifles, all in cases. None of us had a license to carry.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

It might be range policy. If so, that's messed up, and I would never go shoot there. If they think it's a law, then ask them to point it out, or call the sherrif's office and ask them on the phone over the speakerphone.

Prometheus

imported post

I can confirm at willow slough the range guy asking about LTCH. He said it applied only to pistols however.

I felt like pointing out to him that IN wildlife regulations EXEMPT persons on DNR land who are target shooting from having a LTCH or a license to target/hunt.

While technically you NEED one to transport to and from the range, while actually at the range you are not required to have one (weird I know).

Anyway, the guy is a real @$$ and not someone you can 'explain' things to. I didn't bother trying. On the plus side, they never ask to see it only if you have one. Myself and 5 other people all I personally know have gone thru the same thing.

Perhaps someone should take a copy of the DNR regulations to them.

tattedupboy

imported post

Unoid wrote:
My best friend who visits Willow slough DNR outdoor range, said to me that some of the DNR officers (range guys) claimed that you have to have a LTCH now just to go to the range and shoot.

I've never heard of such a law, code, rule. I checked the indiana codes again and I see no new legislation that would prohibit gun transfer/use at a range.

Can anyone confirm or deny this claim and provide source so we can set these range officers straight?
When I was filling out the application for my LTCH, I remember for the question that asked what my reason was for wanting to carry a handgun, the two options were personal protection and hunting/target shooting. This issue may actually be worth looking into.