• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Declares Sovereignty Under 10th Amendment

No NAU

imported post

I will be watching with great curiosity to see where this goes. Perhaps if the next POTUS wants to start grabbing guns more states will reassert their sovereignty?

If this legislation were to remove some of FedGov's "stick" I'm sure some of FedGov's "carrots" would go away to and it would be curious to see the impact that would or would not have on OK's economic and social reality.

The text of the resolution can be found on this page and selecting #19. Sorry for the goofy link but that is how OK has it set up.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/t...Sort=rank[d]&HTMLQueryForm=\tsrs1\default.htm

And here is a link to the OK site showing it passed:

http://www.okhouse.gov/51LEG/Leg_Votesxx.aspx?include=okh01983.txt

Text of Resolution 1089:

THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Committee Substitute for
House Joint
Resolution No. 1089
COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 1089 - By: KEY AND DORMAN of the House.

A Joint Resolution claiming sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over certain powers; serving notice to the federal government to cease and desist certain mandates; providing that certain federal legislation be prohibited or repealed; and directing distribution.

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."; and WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the Constitution of the United States and no more; and WHEREAS, the scope of power defined by the Tenth Amendment means that the federal government was created by the states specifically to be an agent of the states; and WHEREAS, today, in 2008, the states are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and WHEREAS, many federal laws are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and
WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment assures that we, the people of the United States of America and each sovereign state in the Union of States, now have, and have always had, rights the federal government may not usurp; and
WHEREAS, Article IV, Section 4 says, “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government”, and the Ninth Amendment states that ”The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people”; and WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 112 S. Ct. 2408 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the states; and
WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States. NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE SENATE OF THE 2ND SESSION OF THE 51ST OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE: THAT the State of Oklahoma hereby claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.

THAT this serve as Notice and Demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.
THAT all compulsory federal legislation which directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed.

THAT a copy of this resolution be distributed to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate of each state's legislature of the United States of America, and each member of the Oklahoma Congressional Delegation.
COMMITTEE REPORT BY: COMMITTEE ON RULES, dated 03-04-08 - DO PASS, As Amended and Coauthored.

Legba

imported post

Oh shit - didn't we go through this with South Carolina about 147 years ago?

-ljp

No NAU

imported post

The vote to pass it occurred on 3.13.08.

The MSM probably isn't covering it as they are all too busy hoping for another picture of Obama in jeans.

PT111

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp
It actually started with the Nullification Crisis in 1928.The very reason I don't like Andy Jackson.

Just one of the many reasons I refuse to even consider the possibility that he may have been born in SC. This is just more blustering by a state legislature that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans but they think it may buy them some votes.

It does sound good though.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We are seeing more and more of these types of rumblings from several states. Taken individually they do not amount to much of anything except a "quit touching me, DDDAaaaaadddddd, she won't quit touching me!" However, that citizens on county and state levels are standing up in various ways to the next higher level of gov't and saying "ENOUGH!" is encouraging. Our system did not get broken overnight and it will take quit a while to fix it.

No NAU

imported post

More pushback from OK. Looks like they saw the danger of NAFTA and eminent domain.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=394

NAFTA bill killed in the Senate
May 15th, 2008
Lawmakers voted last week to recall a bill – which would have facilitated construction of a NAFTA super corridor through Oklahoma - from the governor’s desk to revise and clarify the measure.

“A few people are concerned about potential unintended consequences of this legislation, so we chose to simply recall Senate Bill 1507 and clean up the language,” said state Rep. Joe Dorman, a Rush Springs Democrat who carried the bill in the Oklahoma House of Representatives.

Senate Bill 1507 dealt with two issues - allowing the Office of State Finance to transfer budget information electronically to the Oklahoma House of Representatives, and amending state law related to Foreign Trade Zones (FTZ) in Oklahoma.

The FTZ language would have eliminated a cap on the amount of time an FTZ could exist and was included to benefit an FTZ near Norman.

However, Dorman said some critics feared the FTZ language in the legislation was tied to efforts to create a NAFTA super corridor running from Mexico to Canada that would encourage the use of eminent domain powers to seize property for the proposed superhighway.

“That was never my intent,” Dorman said. “I’ve had staff attorneys review the legislation and they don’t think there’s much of a problem, but they say the language is a little vague. Obviously, I don’t want to put anything vague into state law that courts could misinterpret. Rather than have a question hanging out there, I decided it was easier to recall the bill and revise it.”

Foreign Trade Zones provide special benefits to U.S. plants engaged in international trade-related activities, including relief from inverted tariffs, duty exemption on re-exports, duty elimination on waste, scrap, and yield loss, and duty deferral.

dclabounty

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Legba wrote:

:?

Hopefully the good guys would win this time...

The only question that remains is: Do I move to Montana or Oklahoma?
No OC in Oklahoma :XHopefully once I move back home we can try to get that changed.

Mags

imported post

I hope more states follow suit. Its time for the states and the people to take back their power. If the states with secessionist movements in place would file similiar resolutions perhaps the message would be better heard.

"THAT this serves as Notice and Demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers. "

Bet the GWB loved that smack in the face.

unreconstructed1

imported post

Legba wrote:

-ljp

yup, and now, just like then, we need to remind the FED that they are not the final judge of their own power, we the people are.

way to go OK, now we need to get this going in more states.

John

imported post

Too bad most states no longer have a real militia anymore and are stuck with the federally-controlled national guard units. Only a few states have anything resembling a state defense force, such as Ohio, Tennessee, or Texas. Without a military capable of employing force to preserve the sovereignty of the states, they are subject to the good graces of the federal government.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OKLAHOMA YOU'RE OK!!

Governors that are now voluntarily allowing their state National Guard units to participate in the WOTmust immediately recall their units under their sovereign powers and cease to send any more.

That will both support the average citizen's umpopularity of the war, gaining citizen support, while providing for actual military protection for that very state. The job for which the Guard was created.

Basically a big statewide F-You to the Fed.

I've been predicting10 years. This might move it to7-8.

unreconstructed1

imported post

BobCav wrote:
OKLAHOMA YOU'RE OK!!

Governors that are now voluntarily allowing their state National Guard units to participate in the WOTmust immediately recall their units under their sovereign powers and cease to send any more.

That will both support the average citizen's umpopularity of the war, gaining citizen support, while providing for actual military protection for that very state. The job for which the Guard was created.

Basically a big statewide F-You to the Fed.

I've been predicting10 years. This might move it to7-8.
while I applaud the resolution, we all know that it was symbolic in nature. I really don't believe taht ANY state governor has the intestinal fortitude to do something like that, that would actually accomplish something.