• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun age

xRapidDavex

imported post

In Utah, I thought that you could only purchase a handgun if you were 21 period. Can someone clarify if a person who is over 18 can purchase a firearm as a private sale? Any quotations you have of the law would be very helpful.

Just don't want to go doing an illegal transaction.

Also, what should I check for? If the person seems "upstanding", is that enough to protect me? Do I need to verify they aren't a felon, etc?

Thanks for any help, forum-goers

GeneticsDave

imported post

21 years old to buy from a FFL dealer, 18 in a private sale.

You don't have to know that they are not a felon, how could you? You don't have access to those records. As long they don't have any charges that you are aware of, you are fine.

GeneticsDave

imported post

According to 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1):
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver-- (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
This restriction only applies to dealers. As long as you don't know of any criminal background, you may sell to a person 18+ y/o.
Code:

GeneticsDave

imported post

As far as Utah law goes, look at U.C.A. 76-10-509.9:
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-10-509.9. Sales of firearms to juveniles. (1) A person may not sell any firearm to a minor under 18 years of age unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian. (2) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a third degree felony.
So in Utah you can't sell to someone under 18 without their parent there (dealers cannot do this, only private citizens, dealers may only sell to 21+ with background check). If they are 18+ you don't need the parent/guardian to be present. This makes sense, heck, at 18 you can enlist and die for your country, but what? You can't buy a gun? Stupid. It would stand to reason that you are considered an adult at 18, now we just need to change the silly FFL and drinking age from 21 back to where it should be.
[/font]

althor

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:

As far as Utah law goes, look at U.C.A. 76-10-509.9:
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-10-509.9. Sales of firearms to juveniles. (1) A person may not sell any firearm to a minor under 18 years of age unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or guardian. (2) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a third degree felony.
So in Utah you can't sell to someone under 18 without their parent there (dealers cannot do this, only private citizens, dealers may only sell to 21+ with background check). If they are 18+ you don't need the parent/guardian to be present. This makes sense, heck, at 18 you can enlist and die for your country, but what? You can't buy a gun? Stupid. It would stand to reason that you are considered an adult at 18, now we just need to change the silly FFL and drinking age from 21 back to where it should be.
[/font]
You do not need to be 21 to purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) from a dealer... you only need to be 18. To buy a handgun from a dealer you need to be at least 21.