• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nickels' gun ban: hear for yourself

XD45PlusP

imported post

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels has directed city agencies to ban firearms -- even permitted weapons -- from parks and other city property, he announced Monday.

Where does the mayor think he gets the authority for such a broad abridgment of otherwise legal gun-toting?

And how will he enforce it?

Below we've posted Nickels' answers to these and other questions -- and most of what Nickels and others had to say -- during his Monday morning press conference. (If you want to watch the video, it will probably be posted soon to this Seattle Channel website.)

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/seattlepolitics/archives/140791.asp

Mainsail

imported post

This is what I was wondering:

Reporter: Would there be a penalty for violators?
Nickels: "This is not a law, this is a rule. So we would have the ability to trespass people from those facilities if they violated this. But we would not be able to throw them in jail or fine them."
So, trespass me, wtf do I care?

David.Car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
So, trespass me, wtf do I care?

I would love for that to happen to me...

Why are you tresspassing me? Well... Because this no gun in parks policy... Well is that a legal policy that will be enforceable in court? Well... no... Okay than, how about you leave me alone so I can continue on my way?

CC27

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
He is threatening charing those violating his "Ban" with Criminal Trespass.

Criminal Trespass is one of the things that can cause one to permanently lose ones CPL.
What RCW states this? I'm not doubting you I just want to see for myself.

zakst1

imported post

WOW!! Someone like Pam Roach actually exists in Washington government?? I haven't been a WA citizen for too long, and have held the belief that liberals infested this state's government.

ducttape2

imported post

That video proves that his intent is more than an EO issued to City employee's. If enacted, I can't see how that would not be proof of a deprivation of civil rights. :banghead:

Notice the key-phrases, "moral obligation", "could only imagine if there were guns", etc. The positions are based onfear and a total lack of perspective!!

I know I amnot going to get much disagreement here, but it just sucks that this ass cango infront of a TV camera andlegitimizethis direction.

just_a_car

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
WOW!! Someone like Pam Roach actually exists in Washington government?? I haven't been a WA citizen for too long, and have held the belief that liberals infested this state's government.
I was fortunate enough to shake her hand when I went down to testify in front of the Higher Education Committee that was hearing the bill linked above. It gives me hope to know that there are legislators in our state's Capitol that actually care about our rights.

nosliw

imported post

it took me 2 minutes to find in my WA gunlaw booklet that what he is doing is BS, i don't know what's keeping him from reading into it a bit.

krazichinaman

imported post

Some people will never learn......:cuss:Even the guy that got shot said that he thinks the "rule" that is getting passed isn't a good idea....way to listen to the people....."Mayor" WTF!:banghead: