• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting injured wildlife

crtbc

imported post

If you are out of cell phone range, see a deer hit by truck and its still alive but technically still in city limits are you legally allowed to put it out of its missery???

Thanks

PT111

imported post

crtbc wrote:
If you are out of cell phone range, see a deer hit by truck and its still alive but technically still in city limits are you legally allowed to put it out of its missery???

Thanks

Short answer is probably not. Many cities have an ordinance against firing a gun inside the city limits and that includes this situation. In fact it includes self-defense but usually isn't pursued due to no jury would convict.

In SC recently I think the law was changed that if you hit a deer with your car you could keep him but have to report it to LEO for approval. In your case you could easily be charged for hunting out of season or in restricted areas and could have a very hard time proving that it was hit by atruck first.

crtbc

imported post

could have a very hard time proving that it was hit by atruck first.

He was paralized at all 4 legs and missing skin (not hair) in multiple areas

but I get what your sayin...

Decoligny

imported post

crtbc wrote:
could have a very hard time proving that it was hit by atruck first.

He was paralized at all 4 legs and missing skin (not hair) in multiple areas

but I get what your sayin...
I would say the powder burns at the side of the head could be pretty conclusive proof that you weren't out poaching. You'd have to be a real athlete to keep up with a running deer and shoot him point blank in the side of the head. :lol:

swillden

imported post

crtbc wrote:
I cut their throats. I've had to do this a couple of times with deer, and I once put a porcupine out of its misery -- used a tire iron for that, though. Didn't want a reflex snap of that tail to get me.

You don't need a gun to put an injured animal out of it misery; there are lots of tools that will do the job and aren't illegal to use in city limits.

Dahwg

imported post

Not according to ARS 13-3107. Unlawful discharge of firearms; exceptions; classification; definitions
A. A person who with criminal negligence discharges a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality is guilty of a class 6 felony.

B. Notwithstanding the fact that the offense involves the discharge of a deadly weapon, unless the dangerous nature of the felony is charged and proven pursuant to section 13-604, subsection P, the provisions of section 13-702, subsection G apply to this offense.

C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:

1. As allowed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 4 of this title.

2. On a properly supervised range.

3. In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona game and fish department, approved and posted as required by the chief of police, but any such area may be closed when deemed unsafe by the chief of police or the director of the game and fish department.

4. For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service.

5. By special permit of the chief of police of the municipality.

6. As required by an animal control officer in the performance of duties as specified in section 9-499.04.

7. Using blanks.

8. More than one mile from any occupied structure as defined in section 13-3101.

9. In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack if a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force against the animal is immediately necessary and reasonable under the circumstances to protect oneself or the other person.

You can discharge a firearm in self defense against an animal, but not to put it out of its misery.

crtbc

imported post

Cutting the throatis another option

DO NOT SHOOT at the side of the head...... there is an imaginary "X" made from where the ear meets the skull and the inside of the opposite eye repeat for other side and shoot where the X meets.... that is the specific location of the brain