• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Renewal

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Has this happened to anybody else? I went to renew my CPL at the sheriff's office today. Finished all the paperwork, and gave them my check. The clerk had my CPL, and I asked for it back (sort of like -- um, haven't you forgotten something?) She tried to tell me I couldn't have it back, but I could pick up my new one tomorrow or have it mailed to me. Problem being, I can't get there tomorrow.

I must have looked a bit perplexed -- she asked if it was a problem, and if I was going somewhere . . . I explained, I carry every day. She seemed to get my point, and relented, if I promised to deliver my old permit to the office when my new one arrives. Perhaps I should have told her that if I didn't walk out of the office with it in my hand, I would be in violation of RCW?

I've never had to surrender my old permit before -- has anybody else had a similar experience, or is this just one county doing their own thing?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
Has this happened to anybody else? I went to renew my CPL at the sheriff's office today. Finished all the paperwork, and gave them my check. The clerk had my CPL, and I asked for it back (sort of like -- um, haven't you forgotten something?) She tried to tell me I couldn't have it back, but I could pick up my new one tomorrow or have it mailed to me. Problem being, I can't get there tomorrow.

I must have looked a bit perplexed -- she asked if it was a problem, and if I was going somewhere . . . I explained, I carry every day. She seemed to get my point, and relented, if I promised to deliver my old permit to the office when my new one arrives. Perhaps I should have told her that if I didn't walk out of the office with it in my hand, I would be in violation of RCW?

I've never had to surrender my old permit before -- has anybody else had a similar experience, or is this just one county doing their own thing?
Your old permit is still good until the day it expires. She is wrong to keep it, unless it it expired already.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

It isn't expired, in fact I have about 80 days left. Their turnaround is speedy, but I still didn't want to be without a loaded weapon in myvehicle for a few days.

I'll have to look at the WACs and see if there is anything there about surrendering your old license. I've never been asked to before.

John Hardin

imported post

She tried to tell me I couldn't have it back ... She seemed to get my point, and relented, if I promised to deliver my old permit to the office when my new one arrives.
That's B.S.

In fact, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070 section (9) states that the new license does not take effect until the old one expires, so your new license is not valid for about 80 more days even if you possess it today. (...learn something new every day - I just about screwed up! I'm in transition at the moment, too...)

Fortunately she returned it. If she kept giving you static you should have escalated it to her supervisor, then to the Sheriff.

glock23

imported post

If I remember right I think Clark County did the same to me a took mine, at the time I just thought thats what happens and was upset since I carry most of the time. Also found out that if you write a check they wait for it to clear before they issue your CPL.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

When I moved to Alaska after college, I kept my Washington CPL (that was about 1991) -- Clark County didn't take my license, and I had absolutely no problem with an out-of-state renewal. They even mailed it to me . . .

Seeing that they can take up to 30 days to issue a renewal, being forced to surrender the original seems to "impair" my right to bear arms in self-defense. I'll be bringing the RCW to the attention of the sheriff -- when you read it, it is clear that they shouldn't be taking the original license. It will be interesting to see if they have the correct (by RCW) effective date on the new license.

John Hardin

imported post

It will be interesting to see if they have the correct (by RCW) effective date on the new license.
Mine (Snohomish county) does. It surprised me, as I hadn't remembered the "effective date" part of section (9).