• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Livingston County "cooldown period"?

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomorrow at 2:30 I'll be going before the Livingston County Gun Board for my interview-thingy. I'm slightly worried about a vew things that I've heard. My CPL instructor said that when they asked why I wanted the CPL to say it was for protection. He was based out of Royal Oak and didn't know too much about Livingston, though. One of my highschool friends who has the interview on the same day said that his instructor told him to say anything BUT "for personal protection". This leaves me with a big WTF. This guy also told me that people our age will probably not recieve our licenses that day, but will be put on a "120-day cooldown period" Again, WTF?

So, two questions.

A: What should I say in response to "why do you want a permit" and what other questions might they ask?

and

B: Has anyone else ever heard of this 120-day cooldown? Is such a thing even legal? Who do they give that to?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

WTF....

If not for protection then what? Should you tell them you have a small pee pee and a big gun will help you deal with it? Your friends instructor is a moron if he told him that.

It's simple:

"I wish to obtain a CPL for the protection of myself and my loved ones."

Sorry, never heard of the 120 day thing.

adam40cal

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Tomorrow at 2:30 I'll be going before the Livingston County Gun Board for my interview-thingy. I'm slightly worried about a vew things that I've heard. My CPL instructor said that when they asked why I wanted the CPL to say it was for protection. He was based out of Royal Oak and didn't know too much about Livingston, though. One of my highschool friends who has the interview on the same day said that his instructor told him to say anything BUT "for personal protection". This leaves me with a big WTF. This guy also told me that people our age will probably not recieve our licenses that day, but will be put on a "120-day cooldown period" Again, WTF?

So, two questions.

A: What should I say in response to "why do you want a permit" and what other questions might they ask?

and

B: Has anyone else ever heard of this 120-day cooldown? Is such a thing even legal? Who do they give that to?
This is the craziest thing I"ve heard so far about getting a CPL. The correct answer is for personal protection thats the whole point of having a CPL. The 120 day cooldown period does not exist counties can't make up laws pertaining to obtaining a CPL. As long as your over the age of 21 you'll be fine. They can't use your age against you thats against the law. This is directly from the Michigan State Police web site.

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]Once county gun board receives the fingerprint comparison report, they will issue or deny the license within 45 days.

Some other questions they may ask you is where can you not carry a concealed pistol: a bar, school, church, federal building, etc. Nothing tricky at all, don't worry about what your friend said your gonna walk into that gun board, and then walk out with your CPL. I live in Saginaw County and I was in there maybe 10 minutes at the most.
[/font][/size][/font]

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, thanks guys. Hopefully I will be walking out of there with my license. How do I know whether or not they have recieved the fingerprint comparison?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

MCL 28.425b provides, in part, the following:
(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). If the concealed weapon licensing board denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol, the concealed weapon licensing board shall within 5 business days do both of the following:
(a) Inform the applicant in writing of the reasons for the denial. Information under this subdivision shall include all of the following:

(i) A statement of the specific and articulable facts supporting the denial.

(ii) Copies of any writings, photographs, records, or other documentary evidence upon which the denial is based.

(b) Inform the applicant in writing of his or her right to appeal the denial to the circuit court as provided in section 5d.

(14) If the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the federal bureau of investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. A temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license.
They cannot drag you through a 120-day wait.

Dooger

imported post

Interview? What interview?

I had a buddy take his CPL course at Double Action in Oakland Co. He never had an interview. I took mine in the EUP and never had an interview. I know many more people from over the State that never had an interview.....never heard of such a thing.

This is how mine went. I went in 2 weeks before the class and paid $110 for the class and $40 to renew my membership at the shooting association. Then I went to the class...sat through 2 hrs. of instruction and then shot about 300 rounds on the range in various postions for about4 hours. After that we went back to the classroom and later had an attorney come in and speak for an hour. The whole class was about 10 hours total. The following Monday I took the paperwork up to the county clerks office, paid $110 and I was on my way with a receipt saying that I paid for my CPL and my figerprints. I went home and got online to register for my fingerprint date for Wednesday. Went in and did that. A month later I got a letter saying my CPL was ready for pick-up which I picked up that same day. I signed the back and she laminated it...done deal.

Yes, my application did go before the gun board which meets the first Friday of the month. I did not have to be present though.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Livingston you have to be present. If only I lived a few miles to the East...

Thanks for the cite, WVCDL.

I'm not sure how I'll handle it if they try to stall me.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

So, two questions.

and

For all lawful purposes is a good answer.

SQLtables

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

So, two questions.

and

There is no right answer... You don't need a reason for getting your CPL.

I told the board in Saginaw County that I wanted it to make it easier to purchase a lot of handguns...:D

Unless I'm wrong, shall issue means if you qualify, you get one, and answering that question is not part of the requirements

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

I got my CPL in Livingston County and they did not ask me why I wanted it. They only went through the questions on the applicaiton verbally and then gave me the card.

Good luck, but I don't think you should need it. :)

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great success!

After waiting for 20 mins, it was in, out; wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Laminated it right in front of me.

Thanks for all the answers.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Great success!

After waiting for 20 mins, it was in, out; wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Laminated it right in front of me.

Thanks for all the answers.
Congrats Rogue!!! Bet you're breathing easier. :celebrate

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I may have to put up with an over abundance of left-wing local politicians, but I am SO happy I'm in Ingham County. Through both my original application, and my first renewal, never had to go before the board. Just got a post card in the mail saying I could pick up my permit at the County clerk's office.

:D