• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barrel break in

GeneticsDave

imported post

What's this about shotguns. I think Dave is breaking in his new SIG. You should be fine provided that you call first and make sure that the range isn't busy. My $0.40.

GeneticsDave

imported post

The easiest way to do this is to use a "bore snake". Just buy one for the caliber gun you have and then put some bore cleaner on the first segment (between the cord and the bronze brush) and some oil on the snake after the brush (just a few inches). Then feed the brass lead through the breach and out the muzzle, then pull the bore snake in the same direction the bullet travels. In effect you clean your barrel with one pull through. This is a fast and economical way to clean while breaking the barrel in. Then, when you are done with your snake, put it in a plastic bag until next time.

prd_boresnake.jpg

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I clearly misread. The link says "Rifles or handguns" and my brain must have saw rifle and "xxxguns" so I went straight to shotguns thinking they were talking about long guns. My bad.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Wow Dave, that's cool. So do you break down the weapon to run that through the barrel or just feed it through the breach? Should a patch be run through at all or just call it good with the snake? (I think you're saying the snake is enough).

41 Magnum

imported post

You just put enough of your chosen cleaner on the boresnake in front of the brush section to get it pretty wet(not dripping) then pull it through the breach out the muzzle. No patches needed.

The bore snake is a good field expedient clean and lube option if you use a 3-in-1 option like hornady oneshot.But it does not substitute for a good detailcleaning with jags, brushes and patches.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yeah, you don't need to field strip the gun, just lock the slide back, run the snake through, then shoot some more. When you get home, field strip (detail strip - your option) and perform a better cleaning. This should keep your range time down and make it more pleasant.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Well I just got back from Doug's by doing the at range strip option.... took FOREVER :shock:, but I'm glad I did it and now I feel good about my barrel.

Thanks for the tips!!

I always ran the brush through the barrel 10 times, folowed by 3 patches pushed by a soft brush (which i always removed from the rod, never backed out of the barrel) and repeated that cleaning process between firings.

xRapidDavex

imported post

She's a good shooter, but I can see how the Hogue grips make her better. This pic I'm posting is 5 shots I took while on the last leg of cleaning (all on paper).

Attachments

• Photo 34.jpg
    Photo 34.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 114