• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kennewick PD encounter

royAG46

imported post

I was OCing in the Albertson's parking loton Clearwater. Granted, I was acting like teenager...illegally parked and music playing (not very loud), leaned up against mycar waiting for one of my friends to exit the store but not doing anything illegal.

The funny part is that a KPD officer rolls up after a complaint, sits in his car within easy range of me and calls for backup. Pretty soon, there were three cops standing there. The first one asks for ID, so I showed it to him. Then he tells me that they received a calland in Kennewick, if someone has and unconcealed weapon "they are going to use it."

I explained to him why I OC (so ordinary citizens see normal guys and galsOCing and the fact I have no motivation to hide it). He asked me to conceal it.I told him "that's the right way tomotivate me to give up a civil liberty (temporarily)" and did so. Also, saying "I guess this means you're doing your job- people are complaining about piddly bull@#$%." probably won him over a bit as well.

I look enough like a cop that no one seems to complain about me OCing while I'm moving, but apparently standing around will freak out the sheeple in Kennewick.Heads up... Overall, the KPD doesn't seem to be tooanti-OC.

RiverTMasco

imported post

animal46g wrote:
I was OCing in the Albertson's parking loton Clearwater. Granted, I was acting like teenager...illegally parked and music playing (not very loud), leaned up against my convertible waiting for one of my friends to exit the store but not doing anything illegal.

The funny part is that a KPD officer rolls up after a complaint (mainly about my XD-9 sub compact (carried at 10+1), sits in his car within easy range of me and calls for backup. Pretty soon, there were three cops standing there. The first one asks for ID, so I showed it to him. Then he tells me that they received a calland in Kennewick, if someone has and unconcealed weapon "they are going to use it."

I explained to him why I OC (so ordinary citizens see normal guys and galsOCing and the fact I have no motivation to hide it). He asked me to conceal it.I told him "that's the right way tomotivate me to give up a civil liberty (temporarily)" and did so. Also, saying "I guess this means you're doing your job- people are complaining about piddly bullshit." probably won him over a bit as well.

I look enough like a cop that no one seems to complain about me OCing while I'm moving, but apparently standing around will freak out the sheeple in Kennewick.Heads up... Overall, the KPD doesn't seem to be tooanti-OC.

Well first welcome to OCDO.

I am fairly new myself.

lol you were illegally parked, so you were doing something illegal.

But a more serious issue is that you gave up your right to OC and so you let him win.

Gene Beasley

imported post

RiverTMasco wrote:
You were in the parking lot and with your vehicle. Unless you were parked in a fire lane or disabled parking, any parking issues are between Albertsons and you. It is not a law enforcement matter.

That aside, here's my perspective. If one officer comes up and wants to check you out and you surrender your ID, it's your decision to do so (whatever happens, I guess it's your decision). When two more officers roll up, the dynamics have now changed. This would be where I believe I would err on the side of caution. A very good read is the Am I being detained? thread.There is a TON of information in that thread. Don't volunteer any more information than is required. If there isn't a link to a videofor the law professor and cop-turn-lawyer, seek that out (search for "say nothing").

And... welcome to the forum. You will get a great education in history and trends (and God help us, current events... yes Seattle/Nickels will affect the east side).

Bear 45/70

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
RiverTMasco wrote:
You were in the parking lot and with your vehicle. Unless you were parked in a fire lane or disabled parking, any parking issues are between Albertsons and you. It is not a law enforcement matter.

That aside, here's my perspective. If one officer comes up and wants to check you out and you surrender your ID, it's your decision to do so (whatever happens, I guess it's your decision). When two more officers roll up, the dynamics have now changed. This would be where I believe I would err on the side of caution. A very good read is the Am I being detained? thread.There is a TON of information in that thread. Don't volunteer any more information than is required. If there isn't a link to a videofor the law professor and cop-turn-lawyer, seek that out (search for "say nothing").

And... welcome to the forum. You will get a great education in history and trends (and God help us, current events... yes Seattle/Nickels will affect the east side).
First off, why must you guys make every encounter a us and them deal? The cop arrives and his first thought is "WhaT the hell?" then he contacts you and you go all defensive and a$$hole on him. Now he doesn't like what you are doing, legal or otherwise, and he thinks everyone OCing as a jerk. FYI,I am in he Tricitiew for a couple of days and I OCed in that the Kennewick Albertsons yesterday and was in Best Buy, Safeway, Denny's, the A&W and down at the Columbia Park and no funny looks, no cops and not even anything. Maybe it's in the attitude, because it's the same way at home inShelton, never a problem. Any encounter with officers is cordial and friendly and a good exchange of info.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

First off welcome to the forum!

Second, you could have handled yourself better IMHO.

Copping an attitude with the cop and being a smartass, while I'm sure it makes you feel good doesn't help anything, in fact will hinder your cause.

There is a line between standing up for your rights and being a jerk and I think at times you may have crossed it.

I had a situation in Oly where someone called 911 and madea "man with a gun" call. Officers rolled up and tried to get me to conceal. I'd already been through this with OPD before. I simply told them I was breaking no laws and I wasn't going to conceal. They tried to talk me into it, and to cut them short and push their hand I simply told the officer "go ahead and do what you are going to do, because I am not going to conceal." They took my gun, unloaded it, emptied both mags and put it in my backpack. I went up to the station, made a complaint, spoke with a lawyer a couple of days later and got all manner of things squared away. OPD has a very good understanding of OC laws now.

And I get along with the cops.

That said, a professional letter to KPD, or if you can keep your cool going down there and filing a formal complaint is probably in order. They can't order you to conceal.

I'm sorry but I think there are more diplomatic and effective ways of standing up for your rights. Some will agree with you, some will not, so make your own decisions, but I find you catch more flies with honey...

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

animal46g wrote:
I was OCing in the Albertson's parking loton Clearwater. Granted, I was acting like teenager...illegally parked and music playing (not very loud), leaned up against my convertible waiting for one of my friends to exit the store but not doing anything illegal.

The funny part is that a KPD officer rolls up after a complaint (mainly about my XD-9 sub compact (carried at 10+1), sits in his car within easy range of me and calls for backup. Pretty soon, there were three cops standing there. The first one asks for ID, so I showed it to him. Then he tells me that they received a calland in Kennewick, if someone has and unconcealed weapon "they are going to use it."

I explained to him why I OC (so ordinary citizens see normal guys and galsOCing and the fact I have no motivation to hide it). He asked me to conceal it.I told him "that's the right way tomotivate me to give up a civil liberty (temporarily)" and did so. Also, saying "I guess this means you're doing your job- people are complaining about piddly bullshit." probably won him over a bit as well.

I really don't understand the motives of some people. You are doing something illegal and you have a gun on you.. are you trying to get arrested, or are you just an asshole? Seriously this makes everyone who OC's look bad.

Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I look enough like a cop that no one seems to complain about me OCing while I'm moving, but apparently standing around will freak out the sheeple in Kennewick

One of the LAST things you want to do is to "look like a cop" be it by accident or by intent. That will increase the scrutiny from LEO quicker than anything else.

Remember, a cpl ALLOWS you to conceal but it doesnot REQUIRE you to conceal.

I think you have been chastised enough for what appears to be a legitimate mistake on your part while interacting with LEO.

Welcome to the forum and please take any and all criticism as constructive, not vindictive, although there are a couple of us that mean well but appear to have a bad attitude.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Funny thing happened today at Columbia Park in Kennewick. After I had finished my lunch. I went and tossed my trash in the barrel and used the rest room, OCing of course. Back to bench and continued reading my book when, lo and behold, a Kennewick officer shows up.

Officer "Sir, we had a report of a man with a gun."

Me "That would be me".

Officer, "Do you have a CPL?"

Me, "Yes sir", and I show it to him.

He hands it back saying "Thank you, we have to check these out."

Me, "No problem."

Officer, "Have a nice day." He leaves.

Simple, friendly and easy on everyone.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Wow. But you shouldn't have given in to the man by showing identification. You should have stood your ground and pointed out that a CPL for OC isn't needed. You should have gotten his badge number, and his supervisor's name and filed a complaint. After lecturing him of course...

joeroket

imported post

To each his own. Personally I would have done the same exact thing as Bear did. His incident was in no way a detainment and the officer asked to see his CPL, not demanded to see it.

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I was being very sarcastic. I would have done the exact same thing as Bear myself.
Oh HAHA I thought you had said you would provide ID/cpl in the past.

I really gotta start reading into the posts a little better sometimes.

John Hardin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I could have made it more plain I was being sarcastic. :)
Use proper HTML markup: <sarcasm></sarcasm>

:)
--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Gene Beasley

imported post

Well, I guess it's my turn to poke the bear.

Whenever an officer contacts you, under any circumstance, he is gathering information. That information is evidence. Your demeanor, how you smell, what you generally are like (such as profiling - this is not a dirty word), what your car is like, and every word that comes out of your mouth may appear on a report to be used against you in court.

Yes, you can pass the personality test and it will be just another line in the officer's logbook and an incident cleared as unfounded. The fact that you know next to nothing about the officer in the midst of the contact puts you at a disadvantage. The officer knows this. The more you talk, the more likely it will end up being a problem for you. I know this from experience on their side of the equation. I thought I was a pretty good cop. I worked with some new cops who were badge-heavy. It was not the best situation knowing that you were more likely to have an encounter escalate unnecessarily while patrolling with them.

As far asking v. demanding goes; asking is a tacit demand. Most will comply, because they don't think that is an option. Officers learn command presence in the academy, with the FTO and from other officers. The words, "May I see some ID" is usually delivered with the inflection of "Show me your ID."

Once in his hand, it can easily go into his pocket. For all you know, theweapon will be taken next and run for stolen. If he has your ID and your CPL (or your weapon), you are not free to leave, at least in your car. If he has two back-up officers, I can pretty much guarantee that you're not free to leave.

I am intotal agreement with Bravo_Sierra. You carry a weapon; you're in the adult world - this would be a good time to act like it.

Please for the love of God, when you quote this - have the decency to cut whatever isn't pertinent.

John Hardin

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
"Show me your ID."

Once in his hand, it can easily go into his pocket.
Gah. Good point.

So if the officer asks to see your CPL do you just show it to him without letting go of it? "I'm sorry, officer, but if I relinquish possession of this I will be carrying in violation of the law - I will gladly show it to you but I must hold onto it." (assuming of course you're concealing at that moment, or in a vehicle...)

Or would that pretty much guarantee your being hassled? :)

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

ghosthunter

imported post

I always carry a copy of my cpl in my wallet. Have no idea if it is legal or not. But I have about a dozen copies spread out in differnt coats, in my truck, shaving kit, extra mag compartment on my holster. So no matter what I always have proof of cpl.

I am very knew to this and have not oc yet except in real safe areas. So be advised this is only what do. It may be wrong. :)