• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are YOU and your family signed up yet to attend the VCDL picnic in Newport News this weekend?

Bullbuster

imported post

The family and I also had a great time.:celebrate Was great to finally put some faces and names together. :D

Hope my lil pup saved some watermelon for ya'll. I couldn't keep him away from it.:banghead:

Looking FWD to the next one be it a VCDL or OCDO picnic.:celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Lots of ol' friends, many new ones, plenty of dogs and kids, good food, perfect weather w/nice breeze, great facility (huge playground).

GUNSTOCK 2008

You all did great!
Yata hey

vbnative73

imported post

:celebrateThis was the first VCDL picnic for my wife and I. Thanks and congrats to all who did such a great job making it happen. It was well worth the 2 1/2 hour trip back to VB. We're both already looking forward to another one. Hopefully we can make it to an OC dinner soon.

BT

Anybody know when that Nightline story will air?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
Anybody know when that Nightline story will air?
I heard John tell Dennis that they were hoping it would air on Monday. That's as definitive as I heard.

Tomahawk

imported post

VCDL on Nightline? Wow. I'll believe it when I see it. Last time CNN showed up at a VCDL meeting they didn't get the drama and controversy they wanted so they didn't air it.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
VCDL on Nightline? Wow. I'll believe it when I see it. Last time CNN showed up at a VCDL meeting they didn't get the drama and controversy they wanted so they didn't air it.
They were there for the open carry controversy.... Not the VCDL controversy.:)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Nightline spent most of the day filming at the VCDL picnic on
Saturday. The topic is open carry and its recent surge in popularity
with many gun owners.

The story is going to run TONIGHT (Wednesday), so have your recorders
ready! It should start about 11:35 PM, just after the local news on
your local ABC channel.

Here is some information from a Nightline email that went out today
(thanks to Bill Rogers for forwarding):

--

Bearing Arms
The gun debate continues to brew in Virginia, where memories of the
Virginia Tech shootings are still raw. One group is at work defending
its "right to keep and bear arms." The Virginia Citizen's Defense
League is in full-force behind "open carry" laws. ABC's John Donvan
reports.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
The story is going to run TONIGHT (Wednesday), so have your recorders
ready! It should start about 11:35 PM, just after the local news on
your local ABC channel.
Now if I only had access to a TV that got broadcast or had cable....

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
wow.. what kinda tv DO you have?
I have a regular one hooked to a DVD player and rabbit ears that get 3 stations. Two without audio or stable pictures. The other one is better, but still cuts out. Most of the time it is a freeing thing, but in rare cases like tonight it is a drag...

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Anyone see it? how was it? My butt was and still is stuck here at work.

Other than the one association with the wild west itseemed to bewell done, but I will have to watch several more times for the newness to wear off so I can look at it more objectively...

OH, and I was able to tune it in and it was stable! :celebrate:celebrateFirst time it has worked in years!:celebrate:celebrate

Edit: added TV explanation

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Other than the one association with the wild west itseemed to bewell done, but I will have to watch several more times for the newness to wear off so I can look at it more objectively...
I'll bet Saslaw liked the banjo music!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well now you've seen it and hope that you'll come next time. :)

Yata hey

AbNo

Bullbuster

imported post

While I have seen the video now nearly a dozen times. I can't help but to feel that this piece, while well done in our favor, could have been made better without the reference to the wild west and the "kids go bang bang" part.

I say that as that was my 4 year old son Garrett putting on his holster and not one time did he take it out and go bang bang. In fact I think he was the only child at the event to wear a toy gun much less have one. I was right next to him when they filmed that part and I really wished they would have asked me about it as I have him carry to teach him the responsibilities that go along with it. Yes I though it was great seeing him but not the "Bang Bang" reference.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
While I have seen the video now nearly a dozen times. I can't help but to feel that this piece, while well done in our favor, could have been made better without the reference to the wild west and the "kids go bang bang" part.

I say that as that was my 4 year old son Garrett putting on his holster and not one time did he take it out and go bang bang. In fact I think he was the only child at the event to wear a toy gun much less have one. I was right next to him when they filmed that part and I really wished they would have asked me about it as I have him carry to teach him the responsibilities that go along with it. Yes I though it was great seeing him but not the "Bang Bang" reference.
Artistic license I think they call it - darn shame because it distorts the truth into what they think it is - not what it is!

While contacting Nightline to set them straight and convey your thoughts to them, will not affect this presentation, it could have a positive future benefit. They might even do a bit on your son for future airing - wouldn't that be interesting.

Congratulations on training him well. You can't start 'em too soon. Enjoyed seeing you all at the picnic.

Yata hey