• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANOTHER open carry incident in Manchester, NH

mvpel

imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXVUIiDxkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZfa_XweBo

Early reports that they were held at gunpoint are untrue.

This incident will be the subject of discussion at the Gun Owners of New Hampshire Board of Directors meeting this evening, Tuesday June 17 at 7:00pm at the Concord Holiday Inn to explore possible courses of action to insure that such incidents STOP before someone is seriously injured or killed due to this kind of police misconduct.

18 USC 242 and 42 USC 14141 will be subjects of discussion, needless to say.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/civilrights/color.htm
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141 makes it unlawful for state or local law enforcement agencies to allow officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or U.S. laws. This law, commonly referred to as the Police Misconduct Statute, gives the Department of Justice authority to seek civil remedies in cases where law enforcement agencies have policies or practices that foster a pattern of misconduct by employees. This action is directed against an agency, not against individual officers. [/font]

In particular, the Manchester police's conduct with me, Dave Ridley, and Neal Connor and his friends, adding up to several occasions over the past four years, would appear to establish a pattern of conduct as described in 42 USC 14141.

One of the individuals accosted on Sunday will be present, Ryan Marvin - the New Hampshire coordinator of Pink Pistols.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

:cuss::banghead:

It is a shame that a minority of police officers feel the need to unlawfully detain people and lecture them on what they "feel" is right/wrong.

Incidents like this just make me want to open carry more often.

mvpel

imported post

One of the most irritating things about all this is that whenever we try to de-criminalize concealed carry and go to Alaska-style, it's the police and the Police Chiefs Association who fight the hardest against it.

They should make up their minds - if they don't want us to open carry, they shouldn't keep forcing us to get their permission and pay a tax in order to conceal.

mvpel

imported post

For those who may not be aware, here is a thread I posted on the Firing Line message board on May 18, 2004 - the text of a formal complaint I filed with the Public Integrity and Professional Standards division of the Manchester Police:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147930

As you can see, the recent incident on June 8 means that we're apparently back to Square One with Manchester, it being a nearly play-by-play repeat of my own incident four years ago right down to the condescending lectures, in spite of all the progress we seemed to have made with them in the past four years.

KBCraig

imported post

Thanks for the thread, Mike. I'd been waiting for more info over on the NH liberty forums before saying anything here, but no one has updated the original reports (other than the "held at gunpoint" issue).

mvpel

imported post

As it turns out, the person to whom I addressed my complaint in 2004 is now, as of very recently, the police chief of Manchester.

Also, Ryan tells me that the conduct and questions of the officers indicate that they probably knew about Dave Ridley and previous open carry incidents, and thus knew better than to act the way they did but did it anyway.

I wonder what reason they'll suggest as to why these four people should NOT file a suit along the lines of Dickenson.

LEO 229

imported post

Harm to your self and the public? :shock:

I have no problem with people being armed! I is logical to want to be able to fight off criminals.

And there was a good cop in the group that knew it was their right to OC.

smithman

imported post

I saw the video on YouTube. Though NH is a pretty friendly place for OC I understand, we are dealing with the same type of incidents more often in WI.

mvpel

imported post

And there was a good cop in the group that knew it was their right to OC.
That makes it WORSE for him, because he KNEW he was violating the civil rights of the group - a federal crime - but he did it and allowed others to continue to do it anyway. That means that he satisfies the "willfully" element of 18 USC 242.

nh92d

imported post

not meaning to hi-jack this thread or something like that,just had a question about something that happened during the incident..(might be off-topic though)

ryan(i think)mentioned in the vid that the police checked serial #s on their guns to see if they were stolen...

the gun i have was basically a gift (so i didn't get from dealer) from a friend that had a room mate leaveit behind when he left for germany(which was 2-3 yrs before it was given to me)..

my question is-would i beable to have history of gun checked (or should i even worry about it)..i mean what if by some slim chance the guy stole it or something and i getquestioned by PD and they do the same and check the #s..(or am i thinking about it to much)

(i could always check with my friend to see if he remembers where his room mate got it from..)

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

The problem we have (New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, others) is that the police automatically run a check to see if it's stolen without having any probable cause, thus making it an illegal search in violation of the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (and whatever similar articles/section apply to individual state constitutions). Running a check presumes guilt, not innocence.

N00blet45

imported post

That seems like a load of crap to me. If they do run checks like that they should need to have a reason to run those checks. I don't see how they could just take your gun and then check to see if it was stolen unless they had cause to do so. And then ask you for proof that it is your gun? So now we have to carry proof that anything we have is actually ours? What about my MP3 player? I don't have the receipt for that. The clothes off my back? My wallet? The cash in my wallet?

The burden of proof is on the accuser. I don't know how it is in New Hampshire but if they accuse you of having a stolen firearm they are the ones who are supposed to prove it, it's not your job to disprove it (unless they have proof to the contrary).

nh92d

imported post

i don't plan on walking into the local PD and ask them to check the history of my gun,was just wondering if there was a way to check without involving police..

when i first got the gun,i contacted the permit dept or dept of safety(i think,it's been awhile) and was told that i didn't have to register it..the women sounded confused that imentioned about the registration history..

i know i'm just thinking to much into it.......OK,done and out of my mind.(not gonna think about it again)

mvpel

imported post

Ryan Marvin, one of the four victims of the illegal seizure that is the subject of this thread, will be meeting this afternoon at 1:00pm with Mayor Frank Guinta.

Supporters are invited to arrive at City Hall around 12:00 to 12:30 in advance of the meeting.

Thundar

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
The problem we have (New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, others) is that the police automatically run a check to see if it's stolen without having any probable cause, thus making it an illegal search in violation of the 4th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (and whatever similar articles/section apply to individual state constitutions). Running a check presumes guilt, not innocence.
Put elecrtical tape over the serial number.