• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ANOTHER open carry incident in Manchester, NH

mvpel

imported post

There was yet another open carry harassment incident on August 9 in Manchester, where three police confronted a man carrying openly IN HIS OWN BACK YARD while grilling burgers.

It was the second such incident for him in a bit over a year - last year they threw him against his fence and would not return his gun to him until he went inside.

The outcome of the internal investigation of the harassment of Ryan Marvin and his friends is still pending.

Thundar

imported post

What is going on in Manchester? Seems that there are serious Civil Rights abusers on the police force. Time to step it up a notch. I would have an open carry rally in front of the police department HQ.

Thundar

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Put elecrtical tape over the serial number.
You'll have to walk me through that one. Since guns (made after xxxx) must contain a serial number, seems the police will claim probable cause because you're trying to conceal either a gun with the number removed or a stolen gun.

I'd think the better route would be to ask if you're being detained, then what the suspected crime is, then what you did to cause the officer to fear harm. A hammer is also a deadly weapon, and we wouldn't expect to be interrogated for carrying one, especially if it were in a retention holster.
There is no law that the serial number must be in plain view. There are many grips that cover the serial number on firearms, for example. The Crimson Laser grips on my S&W 642 J Frame cover the serial number. That is not against the law. The removal of the electrical tape without a warrant is what is illegal. Some police run the serial number just to confirm that the firearm is not stolen. This can, and does lead to inconvenience and civil rights violationsof open carriers. If the police know that they will not be able to view the serial number, then they are less likely todetain a personin order to"run the numbers".

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This is simply harassment. There is no probable cause for search and siezure. I'd sue their asses off.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

When I was a cop... I studied such laws (and violations) as I would prob'ly encounter in my sector. 'Part of bein' a cop. Open carry is somethin' easily verified. There were cops who had the opinion that you can do anything ya want... and only a Judge will decide if yer wrong. I never ascribed to that opinion. Maybe that's why I had a 94% conviction rate. Nobody's 100% all the time... nor can you expect to be.But using the color of the badge to enforce your personal opinions is tyrannical.

nh92d

imported post

mvpel wrote:
There was yet another open carry harassment incident on August 9 in Manchester, where three police confronted a man carrying openly IN HIS OWN BACK YARD while grilling burgers.

It was the second such incident for him in a bit over a year - last year they threw him against his fence and would not return his gun to him until he went inside.

The outcome of the internal investigation of the harassment of Ryan Marvin and his friends is still pending.

was there anything about it in the news..? (probably not,police don't want anymore bad publicity).i normally scan the U.L. for news like that and don't remember reading any articlesabout it.

Gunslinger

imported post

This is a real shame. NH used to be one of the most gun friendly states--at least when I lived there, '83-99. In Merrimack, I got my CCW the next day when I first applied, and the renewal while I waited at the Police Station. And OCed in Manchester many times without a second look. Too bad. Start electing a-hole democraps and see what happens.

rdinatal

imported post

Agreed! I lived in NH from 83-95 in Merrimack and found no issues with OC or CC. The Chief in Merrimack was a-ok, gave me a CC permit AND signed off on a Class 3 the same day.

I find it a shame that it seems to be going backwards.

-R

Sonora Rebel

imported post

nh92d wrote:
rdinatal wrote:

-R
IMHO,it's due to the liberal Mass-holes migrating north from MA...and trying to convert NH be more like MA.
'Got the same problem in Arizona with the Kommiefornians. :cuss:

Jared

imported post

nh92d wrote:
rdinatal wrote:

-R
IMHO,it's due to the liberal Mass-holes migrating north from MA...and trying to convert NH be more like MA.

That's not the problem. Political stats from Jason Sorens have shown that people fleeing MA are moving to Southern New Hampshire, where the republicans lead NH. The northern and western part of the state is liberal.

People fleeing MA to NH are not the same people overall who freakout about open carry.

The problem in Manchester is that their police department has gotten out of control and the free state project has been doing a good job at keeping tabs on them.

Even the Manchester mayor (very good mayor and sympathetic to open carry) is from Edison New Jersey.

Gunslinger

imported post

Jared wrote:
nh92d wrote:
rdinatal wrote:

-R

That's not the problem. Political stats from Jason Sorens have shown that people fleeing MA are moving to Southern New Hampshire, where the republicans lead NH. The northern and western part of the state is liberal.

People fleeing MA to NH are not the same people overall who freakout about open carry.

The problem in Manchester is that their police department has gotten out of control and the free state project has been doing a good job at keeping tabs on them.

Even the Manchester mayor (very good mayor and sympathetic to open carry) is from Edison New Jersey.
Northern NH is as conservative as you can be. It is the seacost and western college towns which are liberal, not the North. Nashua--Concord are moderate, with Nashua being more democrat than Manchester and the 'burbs being strongly GOP--including Merrimack when I lived there.