• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan proposed change on non-residents.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Currently a non resident without a concealed carry permit can not posses or use a handgun in Michigan. You can have a handgun passing through the state (inter-state travel). Below is what the State Police have to say about it.

Currently there is some legislation in the works that would allow non-residents to use a handgun in Michigan. I urge all those that would like to visit or hunt in Michigan with a handgun please contact the sponsor of this bill and tell them how much money this law would bring into the state via tourism.

[/b]"Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state. Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429). Only residents of Michigan[/b] are eligible for licenses and safety inspections. Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).[/b]
[/b]
Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432. One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol."[/b]
[/b]
[/b]Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy[/b]
Michigan[/b] [/b]State[/b] Police, Executive Resource Section, [/b]714 S. Harrison Rd.[/b] [/b]East Lansing[/b], [/b]MI[/b] [/b]48823 (517) 336-6441[/b]
[/b]
Here is the link to the proposed bill. It would appear to allow non-residents that are allowed a handgun in their home state to transport and use it in Michigan with or without a CPL. It would seem that if your gun was registered OR you were allowed to posses and transport a handgun in your state you could bring it into Michigan. I may be wrong so any comments?

[url]http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/billintroduced/House/pdf/2008-HIB-5985.pdf[/url]

(1) Sections 2 an 1d 9 do not apply to any of the following:

(J) A NONRESIDENT WHO IS LICENSED TO CARRY, POSSESS, USE, AND

TRANSPORT A PISTOL IN ANOTHER STATE OR WHO IS EXEMPT FROM LICENSURE IN THAT OTHER STATE, WHO CARRIES, POSSESSES, USES, OR TRANSPORTS A PISTOL IN THIS STATE FOR A PERIOD NOT TO EXCEED 30 DAYS. AS USED IN

IN THIS SUBDIVISION, "NONRESIDENT" MEANS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS A LAWFUL RESIDENT OF ANOTHER STATE, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, OR A TERRITORYOR POSSESSION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Alec411

imported post

Dear Venator

Thanks for your comments on Michigan's position of nor-res possession of a gun. I am a retired Fed covered by HR 218 and return to MI (my home often) Additionally, to avoid 218 hassels, I also have an AZ CCW.

alec411

MetalChris

imported post

Venator wrote:
Currently a non resident without a concealed carry permit can not posses or use a handgun in Michigan.
Holy freakin crap man, I had no idea Michigan was so restrictive. :shock: Hopefully this law will get passed, easing at least a little bit of the infringment...

imperialism2024

imported post

But... but... what if gang members who live in Chicago or New York City try to come to Michigan? Now, they can't possess guns, so there is no crime in Michigan, but if this passes, they'll register their guns and come kill people!