• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Child stomped to death as onlookers draw their... cell phones

Unclebuck

imported post

Thisstory brought a tear to my eye, because Ihavea two year old. My question is howhard did the people thatpulled overtry to stop this guy? I would of killed him in two seconds and not blinked an eye. I hope the cop gets a medal.

Police: Officer kills man who beat child to death

TURLOCK, Calif. — Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death despite other people's attempts to stop him on a dark, country road, authorities said.

Investigators on Sunday were trying to establish the relationship between the suspect and the child they say he killed Saturday night. The Stanislaus County coroner said the boy appeared to be between 1 and 2 years old based on his size, according to county sheriff's deputy Royjindar Singh.

"It's been a long night of wondering, 'Why?' — not only for the officers and the passers-by who stopped and tried to help out, but for anyone. Why would somebody do this?" Singh said.

Singh said the coroner does not plan to confirm the identities of the suspect and victim until Monday. Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.

The suspect had a child's car seat in the back of his four-door pickup truck. The truck caught the attention of an elderly couple at 10:13 p.m. Saturday because it was stopped in the two-lane road facing the wrong direction, Singh said.

As they got closer, the couple saw the man brutally beating the toddler behind his truck and throwing the child on the ground, according to Singh. Two or three other cars stopped, an unusual number to be passing through the remote area surrounded by a dairy, a cow pasture, a cornfield and a farmhouse, he said.

"What we got from witnesses is he was punching, slapping, kicking, stomping, shaking," Singh said. "They tried to intervene and get involved, but their efforts really didn't have an effect. The suspect was engaged in what he was doing. He just pushed them off and went back to it."

A sheriff's helicopter responding to emergency calls from the area landed in a cow pasture at 10:19 p.m. carrying a Modesto police officer who shot the man to death after he refused an order to stop beating the child, Singh said.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate the toddler, who was not breathing when they arrived. The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No children within the dead boy's age range have been reported kidnapped or missing in Stanislaus County, Singh said.

The incident happened on Bradbury Road about 10 miles west of Turlock, a city located about halfway between Sacramento and Fresno.

Loneviking

imported post

It's California and tough to get CCW permits, if you can get them. Very few citizens are armed in California, so criminals (like this one) literally get away with murder.

bayboy42

imported post

There is a special corner in hell for this guy. I was getting ready to post a link but it's already here. Makes my stomach turn. I'd really like to know how they tried to "intervene" because even without a gun, I would have exhausted every ounce of my power and resources to stop this maniac.

IanB

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
"How come these people couldn't stop him??"

It's not that the couldn't, its that they didn't. They chose not to because they are cowards.

+1

Gun or no gun, that man would be dead at my hands if I were there. I'm sure most others here on this forum would do the same.

Marco

imported post

How come these people couldn't stop him??

Some probably never learned to stand up for those who could not (not those that will not) defend themselves.

How hard would it have been to hit the guy hard anywhere (preferably with something, large, heavy, sharp or repeatedly) then choke the $#!+ out of him if need be.

Can only guess most just didn't want to get involved.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
(snip)
Can only guess most just didn't want to get involved.
With a child involved? It's enough to make you cry.The mangot his reward, but who knows if that little would have grown up to be the man who cured whatever illness will be en vogue in 30+ years? It seems that death was not a sufficient punishment.

Marco

imported post

Apparently so.
:?:(:X:cuss:

They must/might have felt they had done enough when the contacted the local PD.
Their civic duty was over in their minds.

I might not have been able to save the childs life but I would have stopped the abuse immediately.

[line]
OP,
A link to the orignial story would be nice.

bayboy42

imported post

That article is even more telling and gut wrenching. First on-scence was an elderly couple...understandable. But an off-duty fireman plus three others. I hate playing arm-chair quarterback but geez.....

MetalChris

imported post

Yeah, this story made me throw up in my mouth a little.

bayboy42 wrote:
...an off-duty fireman...
But there was no fire! Apparently he didn't think it was his "job.":cuss:

I wonder what would've happened if one of us had shot an unarmed man that was beating a child? I wonder if we'd be going home that night or spending the next 25-40 years in a federal facility? Why didn't the cop use a taser or OC on the dude instead of shooting him? /devils advocate

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Vile situation. I can honestly say that had I been there the douchebag would have either been too busy getting a beating from me or beating me to pay attention to the child and I would hope that once he were distracted that someone would have grabbed the child and gotten him somewhere safe.

bayboy42

imported post

Here in VA, I firmly believe that if "one of us" shot this man under the same circumstances, we'd be getting a metal. But I'm not sure it even needed to go that route....I feel like deepdiver hit the nail on the head.

Johnny Law

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Why didn't the cop use a taser or OC on the dude instead of shooting him? /devils advocate
I can tell you the reason why. In that situation the child is obviously within seconds of the end of his life, and some people can still function for several minutes after being sprayed with oc. As for tasers,usuallythey work, but not always. That puke needed to be stopped RIGHT NOW, and the only sure way to guarantee that is to shoot him.

It reminds me of a training film I saw in the Academy. It was actual footage of a guy who was holding a small child, and had waded out into a swamp. He was up to his neck, and was threatening to hold the child underwater/kill him. There were several copsina small boatwho were trying to talk the guy down. After several minutes the guy suddenly held the child underwater, and wasn't letting him up. Needless to say,theytook the head shot and the child was grabbed and saved.

The urgency of the danger is what justifies the shot in both these cases.

John

imported post

Why, I do believe that here in Pennsylvania, a fella'd get his ass beat for something like that. Then he'd get shot.

Toymaker

imported post

Most people are simply shocked when they come upon a situation such as this. They're unprepared to react and therefore make half hearted attemptsthat do littleto stop the enragedassailant.

Withinmy truckI carrya breaker bar and a torque wrench. Coming up from behind and cracking the skull is the order of the day in cases such as this.