• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry gets lead story of Fox 13

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hit the link for the video...

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah -- In Utah, it is legal to openly carry a firearm as long as there isn't a round in the chamber. But some local gun advocates say they have been harassed by police, despite being in full compliance with the law. "We would really just like them to allow us to go about our business without being harassed or hassled by the police," said Jared Belcher. Fox 13's Sandy Riesgraf reports.
Linky

Ksl story:

Link

Gun owners complain about treatment in West Valley City June 17th, 2008 @ 10:05pm Sarah Dallof reporting
A group of gun owners is upset with the West Valley City police force. They claim officers are treating them unfairly because they choose to carry their weapons in shoulder and hip holsters, completely out in the open.
In Utah, there are places no one but law enforcement can take a gun, and there are restrictions, for example people without a concealed carry permit can't openly carry a loaded gun, but much of the time, it's allowed.
Jared Belcher is among those who choose to carry a gun. "It's a Bursa Thunder 380 I carry just about every day," he says. He carries it on his belt, out in the open. He said, "Most people, surprisingly, don't notice I have it."
Belcher says he's never had a problem taking the gun anywhere, but he's concerned because others he's met through the organization opencarry.org have. Travis Deveraux says he was walking in his West Valley neighborhood when an officer pulled up, pulled out her gun and ordered him on the ground.
"At the end there were a total of eight officers who'd cuffed me up, taken my firearm. But they let me go because there was nothing wrong I'd done," Deveraux said.
Belcher and Deveraux joined more than a dozen other gun owners tonight at the West Valley city council meeting to voice concerns about how the city's police force has handled several situations.
Scott Thompson, who also openly carries his gun, said, "A lot of the officers seem to be ignorant of the fact that carrying a firearm openly in public is perfectly legal in Utah, if done properly."
Wayne Pyle, the city manager for West Valley City, said, "Until today I'd never heard there was any concern, complaint or incident." He had limited time to research the cases but says it appears West Valley Police handled them appropriately. He adds that in any situation where officers know someone has a gun, they're extra cautious. "This is a different day and age than the late 19th century. It's not common to see people wearing side-arms on the street," he said.
After hearing the group's comments, the city council recommended the citizens file their complaints with the city's Professional Standards Review Board, which investigates concerns against officers.
E-mail: sdallof@ksl.com

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Outsider wrote:
Yeah, this was already reported in the WVC topic. :D
Haha, my bad. I guess it's not a bad thing to start a new one though for more exposure...

Make sure to check out the video on the KSL.com story, it shows a nice shot of the new opencarry.org front page!

Outsider

imported post

I really like the new page and think they have more information then the old one.

And you're right, not bad to get more exposure.

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have been thinking about why this has become such a big concern for us on OC. For me personally it is all about principle. I am fine with those in the population who are against OC (my wife being one). For me personally the reason for knocking on the mayors front door was more about principle. The principle of law enforcement not being permitted to implement their own view under the guise of law enforcement.

Sure there are residents who feel uncomfortable around a holstered 1911 on someone other than an officer of the law. That doesn't give the police lateral discretion to persecute and harass the offender any more than those who asked blacks to move to the back of the bus. The principle of equality before the law. That is what we were there for last night.

My concern is that the city manager made very clear in his interview that he wants us to move to the back of the bus so that the other patrons don't have to feel uncomfortable during the ride. I for one intend on sitting in the first available seat. If the police persist on forcing us to the back then there is plenty of ambition on my part to peaceable resist. That is what we did last night. And that is what must be done in the future. Only continued peaceable pressure will do.

Thank you to all who were there in person and in spirit.

TJ, you did a great job.

xRapidDavex

imported post

I would loosely use the term offender since the person most likely is breaking no law.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Thank you all that was there Physically and for the ones that could not be there but was there in the Spirit.

It went MUCH better than expected. If I knew that I was going to be on the News, I would have been a little bit better prepared (and maybe lost some weight:lol:and tried harder to look Puurtier:lol:)

I felt that the Mayor was sincere in his remarks and "in between the lines" supported our cause

UTAH IS NOW AWARE OF THE LEGALITY OF OCing:celebratedue to OCDO and it's "followers".

Thank you John and Mike for ALL the great work you do for us.

TJ

Outsider

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Thank you all that was there Physically and for the ones that could not be there but was there in the Spirit.

It went MUCH better than expected. If I knew that I was going to be on the News, I would have been a little bit better prepared (and maybe lost some weight:lol:and tried harder to look Puurtier:lol:)

I felt that the Mayor was sincere in his remarks and "in between the lines" supported our cause

UTAH IS NOW AWARE OF THE LEGALITY OF OCing:celebratedue to OCDO and it's "followers".

Thank you John and Mike for ALL the great work you do for us.

TJ
Good job, TJ! You are now the face behind the voice in the movement to OC.

ScottyT

imported post

Be sure to watch KSL (Channel 5) tonight at 6:30! Clark Aposhian will be debating Setev Gunn of the Utah Gun Violence Prevention Council (I know, Ironic name).

I am really glad I didn't have to go up against this guy. He is an idiot, but a professional idiot. I would be worried about him twisting every little word I say. Clark, on the other hand, is very much looking forward to the opportunity to nail this guy on live television!