• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pizza Hut fired deliveryman over gun

Bullbuster

imported post

I read this in the latest July 2008 NRA American Rifleman Magazine. I couldn't find it on line so this is word for word from the magazine.

July 2008 NRA American Rifleman Magazine The armed citizen

(The Des Moines Register, Des Moines, IA 04/03/08)

Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers thought he was making a routine delivery, but he was walking into an ambush. As Spiers approached, an armed man sprang at him with a gun, but Spiers, a concealed-carry permit holder, was no easy target. Police say Spiers struggled hard with the assailant until he was able to produce his handgun. "It was a long ordeal...my life was, without a doubt, in danger," Spiers recalls. Spiers shot the suspect three times. The suspect fled and was arrested at the hospital. Pizza Hut summarily fired Spiers, a 10-year employee, citing a corporate policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms. To voice your displeasure, call Pizza Hut Corporate Offices at 800-948-8488 or visit http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus/ContactUsForm.aspx?l1=2024.

Shortly after I read this my wife called to tell me she was on her way home but had to stop off and pick up a couple pizza's. I told her of this article, and good thing I did as it was Pizza Hut she was going too. Needless to say she canceled our order and explained why and went toDomino's instead.
I also sent a policy change request and asked to be contacted by phone.

Outsider

imported post

Here is what I just wrote them:

I have recently heard about a firing of Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers in Des Moines, IA for him possessing a handgun and saving his own life (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/12139.html). He was attacked by a man with a gun, he defended himself with his own personal weapon for safety, and you fired him. I must say I am very disappointed in that policy. I was a delivery driver for another pizza company and I must say that in the evening it can get scary where you go. I believe a policy of no firearms is outrageous and if Spiers didn't have a handgun you could very well be mourning his death. The thinking of "it is safer for everyone" is completely false. It is only safer for the attacker, not the employee. "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants;..." -Thomas Jefferson. GIVE HIM HIS JOB BACK!!! I WILL NEVER HAVE PH AGAIN!

Yeah, these make me upset! Not sure why I put "I WILL NEVER HAVE PH AGAIN!" Think I was just trying to fill up space.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I read this in the latest July 2008 NRA American Rifleman Magazine. I couldn't find it on line so this is word for word from the magazine.

Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers thought he was making a routine delivery, but he was walking into an ambush. As Spiers approached, an armed man sprang at him with a gun, but Spiers, a concealed-carry permit holder, was no easy target. Police say Spiers struggled hard with the assailant until he was able to produce his handgun. "It was a long ordeal...my life was, without a doubt, in danger," Spiers recalls. Spiers shot the suspect three times. The suspect fled and was arrested at the hospital. Pizza Hut summarily fired Spiers, a 10-year employee, citing a corporate policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms. To voice your displeasure, call Pizza Hut Corporate Offices at 800-948-8488 or visit http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus/ContactUsForm.aspx?l1=2024.

Shortly after I read this my wife called to tell me she was on her way home but had to stop off and pick up a couple pizza's. I told her of this article, and good thing I did as it was Pizza Hut she was going too. Needless to say she canceled our order and explained why and went toDomino's instead.

It has been pretty much beat to death here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/9458.html

Bullbuster

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:

It has been pretty much beat to death here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/9458.html
Thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea. I had only joined up just prior to it. I'll have to read what was posted now.

Outsider

imported post

It was a heads up for all those that joined afterwards, like me. I sent my thoughts and glad someone pointed it out. Thanks!

MetalChris

imported post

Meh, all pizza places have similar policies. A boycott of PH would be completely pointless.

imperialism2024

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Meh, all pizza places have similar policies. A boycott of PH would be completely pointless.
Well, I don't know the exact policy of my local pizzaria (who coincidentally have the best pizza in the area), but the Ron Paul signs in the windows are a good sign...

MetalChris

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Well, I don't know the exact policy of my local pizzaria (who coincidentally have the best pizza in the area), but the Ron Paul signs in the windows are a good sign...
What I meant is all the "big name" pizza companies have similar (if not the same) policy as PH (Dominos, Papa John's, etc.) I'm sure there are plenty of mom and pop pizza places that are coo w/ guns. ;)