Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCDO Meet, July 17th, 7 PM

Post imported post

I wanted to get the ball rolling here for next month as we are already having people ask when our next meet will be.

The tentative plan is as follows:

Golden Corral
    3399 W 3500 S
    West Valley, UT 84119

July 17th, 7:00 PM

We look forward to seeing you all there! Bring friends and family, the more the merrier!

Post imported post

I'll be there!!! Already on the calendar!
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

Hi, my name is Kevin and I have been a member of the Utah Minutemen Project for several years now. I recently watched a news program about an individual in your group being illegally detained and his rights being violated by thepolice. I would like to put it out there that with thecurrent attentionof the media NOW is your time to "go public" with your group.I would like to know to what extent your group is organized here in Utah. Do youhave aPresident and directors or are you a loosely organized group of concerned citizens?we believe that both of our groups share some common interests and would like to meet with you.

Thank you,

Kevin

Post imported post

Hi Kevin. To answer your question, there's no formal organization.

As for going public, I'd say that given the international stories sparked by last week's LA Times article about us and the extensive local coverage of last night's meeting... we're pretty public . The Virginia Citizens Defense League is a formally-organized body, and usually takes the lead on OC issues all over the country, wherever such an organization is useful.

As for common interests with the minutemen, there is at least one Utah member of OCDO who is also involved with the minutemen, but I don't think there's a general overlap. Open carriers come from all sorts of political backgrounds -- perhaps more Libertarian and Conservative than Liberal, but there are all sorts. There are people here who agree with your views on immigration, and others who disagree, some vehemently.

We prefer not to discuss political issues outside of those directly related to guns here, because it tends to heat tempers and drive members away. A few months ago we lost a member because people discussed sexual orientation too freely and he was very offended.

However, if you'd like to talk guns, gun rights, carry methods, carry laws, or just about anything else related to firearms, by all means join the conversation!

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply! I can see your point about bring politics into the conversation (not a good idea). I believe the overlap is in the free exercise of constitutional rights andholding accountable those that knowingly infringe on said rights. I'm not suggestingan affiliation of the two groups only that communication between organizations is a good thing.The Utah Minutemen Project, UFire, Citizens for tax fairness, the John Birch society... are all in communication and share ideas and resources and in some cases access to influential individuals.Is UCC registered as a 10013 C (non profit) and is the name registered?

Post imported post

[quote][font=Verdana]

Post imported post

fallingdown. Welcome and Thank you for the invitation. We would love to see you at our OC (Open Carry) Meet/Gathering @ Golden Corral in West Valley City on the 17th of July 7PM.

I would be great to discuss BOTH topics and see how they can benefit eachother.

We hope to see you plenty of times on the Forum.

BTW, I finally became a U.S Citizen last January and have MY strong feelings about ILLEGAL immigration. I don't believe in it. This is a Political topic of a different kind and is not supposed to be discussed at this forum.
    As swilldensaid "We prefer not to discuss political issues outside of those directly related to guns here, because it tends to heat tempers and drive members away. A few months ago we lost a member because people discussed sexual orientation too freely and he was very offended."
    We are not here to offend anyone and the Forum is for discussions about
    "to talk guns, gun rights, carry methods, carry laws, or just about anything else related to firearms"

Once again...WELCOME.

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44,

Thank you for the welcome and congrats on becoming and American! I believe there is no right more fundamental to our democracy than the second amendment.

Post imported post

fallingdown wrote:
    UTOC-45-44,

Thank you for the welcome and congrats on becoming and American! I believe there is no right more fundamental to our democracy than the second amendment.
    On this, BOTH you and I stand together. Without the 2nd we would not have had ANYTHING to build this BEAUTIFUL country with.

Ask the Soldier in Iraq how he/she is helping to "reconstruct" that country. Without the 2nd it would not be possible.

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44,

I'm sure you and I stand together on a lot of issues. I have a few questions for you or anyone in the group,how many members are usually in attendance at your meetings andhow often dose your group meet? is thereone particular member who is generally responsible for organizing things?

Post imported post

fallingdown wrote:
    UTOC-45-44,

I'm sure you and I stand together on a lot of issues. I have a few questions for you or anyone in the group,how many members are usually in attendance at your meetings andhow often dose your group meet? is thereone particular member who is generally responsible for organizing things?
    No one is responsible for these Meets/Gatherings really. A person uasually volunteers or gets "volunteered" by the members. We are a Great bunch of people. For the last few Meets at restaurants we have been i would say between 35-50 (including some kids)

TJ

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    I wanted to get the ball rolling here for next month as we are already having people ask when our next meet will be.

Golden Corral
    3399 W 3500 S
    West Valley, UT 84119

We look forward to seeing you all there! Bring friends and family, the more the merrier!
    Thanks Dave, for putting the info up and getting a new thread going

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    GeneticsDave wrote:

Golden Corral
    3399 W 3500 S
    West Valley, UT 84119

Thanks Dave, for putting the info up and getting a new thread going

TJ
    No problem, glad to help!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ok I think I can make this one this time, it on the calender

Post imported post

I'll be there for sure.

Post imported post

Golden Corral again?!?! I vote for a change of venue!

Cracker Barrel is great in catering to bigger groups, but we would have to get a good head count going in to it.

Any good Chinese buffets in WVC?

Post imported post

I'm not a big fan of Chinese Buffet. I found an earwig crawling in the teriyaki hole and have NEVER been back.

I'll try to think of somewhere as well.

Post imported post

Just a suggestion, but any local library has to make one of their room available to your group. All you have to do iscall and make the appointment.

Post imported post

fallingdown wrote:
    Just a suggestion, but any local library has to make one of their room available to your group. All you have to do iscall and make the appointment.
    Ya but the whole point is to get out into the community, let them see that we are openly carrying firearms, and have a great dinner to boot!

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Post imported post

Yeah, and we would have to bring the food. I like Golden Corral, but I'm open to other things.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It is summer, we could do a bbq at a park... 1000 feet away from a school for us non-permittees... That would be out in the community... we could clean the whole park when we are done eating as well.

I suppose we could do both! Nothing wrong with that.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I like the park idea, also some olive gardens have back rooms.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I also like the park idea.

The restaurant I came up with was Red Robin.

Post imported post

Sheesh... you guys are acting like this is up for discussion

We can do whatever people want. Parks can be a hassle, since you often must reserve the bowry in advance - and sometimes there is a significant fee.

I think it might be easier to eat at a restaurant, perhaps with a service project beforehand.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
    Sheesh... you guys are acting like this is up for discussion

We can do whatever people want. Parks can be a hassle, since you often must reserve the bowry in advance - and sometimes there is a significant fee.

I think it might be easier to eat at a restaurant, perhaps with a service project beforehand.
    Hey this is up to you were we go, you are planning it. If someone wants to go somewhere else they can plan the event. So I say just stick with Golden Corral and if someone dosen't like the idea they don't have to come. Make it easy.... You spoke up first! You have the floor.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast