• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO Meet, July 17th, 7 PM

fallingdown

imported post

Hi, my name is Kevin and I have been a member of the Utah Minutemen Project for several years now. I recently watched a news program about an individual in your group being illegally detained and his rights being violated by thepolice. I would like to put it out there that with thecurrent attentionof the media NOW is your time to "go public" with your group.I would like to know to what extent your group is organized here in Utah. Do youhave aPresident and directors or are you a loosely organized group of concerned citizens?we believe that both of our groups share some common interests and would like to meet with you.

Thank you,

Kevin

swillden

imported post

Hi Kevin. To answer your question, there's no formal organization.

As for going public, I'd say that given the international stories sparked by last week's LA Times article about us and the extensive local coverage of last night's meeting... we're pretty public ;). The Virginia Citizens Defense League is a formally-organized body, and usually takes the lead on OC issues all over the country, wherever such an organization is useful.

As for common interests with the minutemen, there is at least one Utah member of OCDO who is also involved with the minutemen, but I don't think there's a general overlap. Open carriers come from all sorts of political backgrounds -- perhaps more Libertarian and Conservative than Liberal, but there are all sorts. There are people here who agree with your views on immigration, and others who disagree, some vehemently.

We prefer not to discuss political issues outside of those directly related to guns here, because it tends to heat tempers and drive members away. A few months ago we lost a member because people discussed sexual orientation too freely and he was very offended.

However, if you'd like to talk guns, gun rights, carry methods, carry laws, or just about anything else related to firearms, by all means join the conversation!

fallingdown

imported post

Thanks for the reply! I can see your point about bring politics into the conversation (not a good idea). I believe the overlap is in the free exercise of constitutional rights andholding accountable those that knowingly infringe on said rights. I'm not suggestingan affiliation of the two groups only that communication between organizations is a good thing.The Utah Minutemen Project, UFire, Citizens for tax fairness, the John Birch society... are all in communication and share ideas and resources and in some cases access to influential individuals.Is UCC registered as a 10013 C (non profit) and is the name registered?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

fallingdown. Welcome and Thank you for the invitation. We would love to see you at our OC (Open Carry) Meet/Gathering @ Golden Corral in West Valley City on the 17th of July 7PM.

I would be great to discuss BOTH topics and see how they can benefit eachother.

We hope to see you plenty of times on the Forum.

BTW, I finally became a U.S Citizen last January and have MY strong feelings about ILLEGAL immigration. I don't believe in it. This is a Political topic of a different kind and is not supposed to be discussed at this forum.
As swilldensaid "We prefer not to discuss political issues outside of those directly related to guns here, because it tends to heat tempers and drive members away. A few months ago we lost a member because people discussed sexual orientation too freely and he was very offended."

We are not here to offend anyone and the Forum is for discussions about
"to talk guns, gun rights, carry methods, carry laws, or just about anything else related to firearms"

Once again...WELCOME.

TJ

fallingdown

imported post

UTOC-45-44,

Thank you for the welcome and congrats on becoming and American! I believe there is no right more fundamental to our democracy than the second amendment.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

fallingdown wrote:
UTOC-45-44,

Thank you for the welcome and congrats on becoming and American! I believe there is no right more fundamental to our democracy than the second amendment.

On this, BOTH you and I stand together. Without the 2nd we would not have had ANYTHING to build this BEAUTIFUL country with.

Ask the Soldier in Iraq how he/she is helping to "reconstruct" that country. Without the 2nd it would not be possible.

TJ

fallingdown

imported post

UTOC-45-44,

I'm sure you and I stand together on a lot of issues. I have a few questions for you or anyone in the group,how many members are usually in attendance at your meetings andhow often dose your group meet? is thereone particular member who is generally responsible for organizing things?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

fallingdown wrote:
UTOC-45-44,

I'm sure you and I stand together on a lot of issues. I have a few questions for you or anyone in the group,how many members are usually in attendance at your meetings andhow often dose your group meet? is thereone particular member who is generally responsible for organizing things?

No one is responsible for these Meets/Gatherings really. A person uasually volunteers or gets "volunteered" :lol:by the members. We are a Great bunch of people. For the last few Meets at restaurants we have been i would say between 35-50 (including some kids)

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
I wanted to get the ball rolling here for next month as we are already having people ask when our next meet will be.

The tentative plan is as follows:

Golden Corral
3399 W 3500 S
West Valley, UT 84119

July 17th, 7:00 PM

We look forward to seeing you all there! Bring friends and family, the more the merrier!

Thanks Dave, for putting the info up and getting a new thread going

TJ

GeneticsDave

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:
I wanted to get the ball rolling here for next month as we are already having people ask when our next meet will be.

The tentative plan is as follows:

Golden Corral
3399 W 3500 S
West Valley, UT 84119

July 17th, 7:00 PM

We look forward to seeing you all there! Bring friends and family, the more the merrier!

Thanks Dave, for putting the info up and getting a new thread going

TJ
No problem, glad to help!

ScottyT

imported post

Golden Corral again?!?! I vote for a change of venue!

Cracker Barrel is great in catering to bigger groups, but we would have to get a good head count going in to it.

Any good Chinese buffets in WVC?

xRapidDavex

imported post

I'm not a big fan of Chinese Buffet. I found an earwig crawling in the teriyaki hole and have NEVER been back.

I'll try to think of somewhere as well.

fallingdown

imported post

Just a suggestion, but any local library has to make one of their room available to your group. All you have to do iscall and make the appointment.

xRapidDavex

imported post

fallingdown wrote:
Just a suggestion, but any local library has to make one of their room available to your group. All you have to do iscall and make the appointment.
Ya but the whole point is to get out into the community, let them see that we are openly carrying firearms, and have a great dinner to boot!

Thanks for the suggestion, though.