• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to this, a bit scared, I have many questions

Kungfu

imported post

Yes, I have to take the key out of the ignition, then use it to open a hatch which has the trunk release lever in it.

Technically I should be able to keep it loaded in the trunk also since it is a "locked compartment", but I'm kinda taking it easy right now with just the OC part.

RT48

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
New Madison has a school right along the road I needed to get to the range so I had to go wayyyyyyyyyy out in the country to bypass it by 1,000ft.
That was unnecessary since you stated earlier that you have an Ohio CHL. As long as you don't enter on school property you are legal. The "1000 ft. school zone" doesn't apply to Ohio CHL licensees.

v8shoguy

imported post

There's a difference between school safety zones as defined by federal law and state law. Last I heard, OH defines school safety zones as the school's real property, while federal is the 1000 ft rule. The most common use of the federal definition is Posession/Sale of a controlled substance within 1000 ft of a school, or any such crime.

As OC isn't a crime, the 1000 ft rule doesn't apply, just don't go on school property. :)

IANAL, this is just my interpretation.

Kungfu

imported post

That is great news! Thank you....that saves me a lot of time going out of the way to avoid it. Much appreciated!

Kungfu

imported post

I am new to this and so I'm pretty cautious. It took me, what about a week, but I spoke with a detectivewith mysheriff's dept yesterday and he reassured me that they all know that open carry, in or out of a vehicle, was legal since I have my CCW permit. This was a huge, hugereassurance to me. I felt it was better to make sure rather than to ride (or walk) and wonder if they would think I wasbreaking the law or causingpanic...andit is good to know they are on the same page on this subject.

I have one call to make to the city police on my next day off work and that should wrap it up for me here locally!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Kungfu wrote:
I am new to this and so I'm pretty cautious. It took me, what about a week, but I spoke with a detectivewith mysheriff's dept yesterday and he reassured me that they all know that open carry, in or out of a vehicle, was legal since I have my CCW permit.
Again - gegerannly, not a good idea to call the police and aks for their legal advice on oepn carry.

And you do NOT need a concealed permit to OC on foot in Ohio

Kungfu

imported post

Just for clarification, I just want to make sure we (my local law enforcement) were on the same page, just to save me time and/or explination if/when Iwould ever bestopped in this county. I justwanted to see if they understood what was legal or if they were going to be more ignorant/uninformed about it. Luckily for me, theyare informed. I will do the same with thecity police tomorrow and hopefully theywill reassure me that they too are up to speedthat this isallowed. If not, then this is when I can refer them to my sheriff's deptfor what is allowed in this state.I would just feel better knowing that my local law enforcement is knowledged about this before somescared person calls themor before one them pulls me over for this.

Just for curiosity, are the police even allowed to pull you over on a motorcycle or in your car for OC if you are not doing anything wrong/without probable cause? Has anyoneran intothis in Ohio?

Legba

imported post

Yep. They aren't supposed to stop you for no reason whatsoever, but they can manufacture a pretext readily enough. I've been asked for explanations of what I was doing in a certain neighborhood, only to have them identify some deficiency after the stop (front plate not displayed properly, even though they approached me from behind and couldn't have seen it - that kind of thing). Just say no to "fishing trips."

-ljp

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
Just for clarification, I just want to make sure we (my local law enforcement) were on the same page, just to save me time and/or explination if/when Iwould ever bestopped in this county. I justwanted to see if they understood what was legal or if they were going to be more ignorant/uninformed about it. Luckily for me, theyare informed. I will do the same with thecity police tomorrow and hopefully theywill reassure me that they too are up to speedthat this isallowed. If not, then this is when I can refer them to my sheriff's deptfor what is allowed in this state.I would just feel better knowing that my local law enforcement is knowledged about this before somescared person calls themor before one them pulls me over for this.

Just for curiosity, are the police even allowed to pull you over on a motorcycle or in your car for OC if you are not doing anything wrong/without probable cause? Has anyoneran intothis in Ohio?

I really doubt that if the city cops tell you that OC is illegal, and then you tell them to call the Sheriff to find out the law, well I somehow doubt that the City Police will call the Sheriffs office for anything.

What if the city cops say it is illegal to OC, will you still OC in that city? especially since they will testify that they told you NOT to do it? sure, they will be wrong but you may be out a few dollars for a Lawyer.

I believe that one poster said do NOT call the police and ask them about a law that you already know the answer too.

I am curious to tha answer you get from the City Police

Kungfu

imported post

Ah hell, I had a little time today so I went ahead and called the city pd. What the dispatcher told me was that the sheriff's dept handles the ccw permits (duh!) and that they (the city pd) couldnt tell me they wouldnt pull me over because (and this kinda makes sense) if someone called them about a person riding around with a gun, that they have to check it out.

So looking at this from a police officers perspective, yeah, I can understand someone calling the pd about a person w a gun, however, this isnt a gun in the pants or being handled, this is a gun in a holster.In their defense, howare they to know that the person ona motorcyclehas a ccw without asking though? So in their defense, I can understand that, however (and its been spoken about here)a persons demenor would probably determine how I would respond to the call.

From my perspective, if I'm riding around and a police officer is smoking the tires and then hops out with an attitude or worst case, does a felony type stop.....I'm going to be intimidated and pissed off. Here's where the digital recorder would come in handy, although I'm not sure how one would get one out, then turn it on if a police officer is pointing a weapon at you. One good thing about it though would be that this would probably only happen once and then it could be talked about and corrected at the department or in court, although that is once too many.

Kungfu

imported post

You know, I've been doing this for, what a couple of weeks now....riding my motorcycle w open carry. The only problem I have is that I have not once seen or been passed by a police officer. I know, I know, that is great, but I'm still wondering how it will go when it finally happens. I read posts on here of people getting their weapon seized, intimidated, etc. I've gone over it w the local law enforcement, etc and maybe that is why I have not had a law enforcement vehicle come flying up on me.Yesterday Idid ride by a sheriff's deputy that I was good friends with in high school that was on his Harley and we did the wave and he was smiling pretty big, so I'm assuming since he already knew I target shoot and also shoot in competition, and that he did see the weapon. Other than that, I've got the looks from people in cars and on the street, so I'll assume at least one person has called, and if they have, cudos to my local l.e. for not freaking out also.

I have not see the Dayton officer at the range again, although I am assuming he has been there since I keep picking up .40 brass. Rode out theretwice yesterday to test fire/fix the MP5 (XD was on my hip, MP5 in the trunk w the S&W 22a) and that would've really got him going. Next time, our conversation will be recorded, believe me!

I do have apiece of info for those of you that do ride mototcyclesand carry. My bike isa pretty smooth ride, but I noticed when I got home yesterday thatmy Uncle Mike's (its a hard plastic holster) was about to come apart, where the2 screws had almost worked their way out! So I guess if you ride or even if you dont and you have a hard holster, check the holster screws every once in a while.

Ah sorryI didnt replyLthrnck, yes, just north, up the road.

Flyin Pig

imported post

Greetings all!

New to the forum, and real happy to have found ya. Don't yet have a CCP, but I've been researching OC here in Toledo and plan on excercising our rights to carry. Daughter (age 19) will carry her 9mm along with me.

I'll let ya know how it goes!

Also, we've been shooting at a range in Monroe, Mi. with a friend. Can anyone point us to an outdoor range closer to Toledo?

Thanks in advance,

Pig